MXD Residential Tower | 121 Broadway | Kendall Square

Updated design package posted to the Cambridge Redevelopment Authority website (for 2/09/22 design review):
135 Broadway Residential Building Presentation

135B_1.png

I don't have time to extract more, so others please feel free. It's a nice review package that tells the story of the design evolution. Also listed under the CRA's "Next Meeting" Agenda here with other documentation:

^The building schematic file within the above link lists 476' roof height and 399' to highest occupied floor
[EDIT: corrected (thanks DZH): 454' roof height accounting for below grade start to the measure]

Last edited:
^The building schematic file within the above link lists 476' roof height and 399' to highest occupied floor

It's only 454' as the last 22' is for the basement. Still, I have to say that I LOVE IT!!! From the angle you posted it reminds me of the Citigroup building or whatever it is called that used to stand alone in Long Island City (now surrounded by glass garbage).

The posted render looks like something out of the 80s. I’m not feeling it, but it’s not a stinker out of the gate.

The crown looks odd in the renders. The vent from the substation looks like a mitten, which I expect MIT kids to attach a snowball to.

I predict one of the NIMBYs will pitch the shadow impact on Boston Common, even though it is north of the Common.

It does look 80s. Maybe it’s the gold/bronze finishes - particularly in that last rendering - but it looks almost glitzy. I’m all for variety though!

Awesome! Cambridges skyline is starting to look pretty good, but its very short and very flat still. Having a tower poke up above all of that would be awesome. Especially something like this that actually looks good! The diagonal pieces on the facade are a great touch.

This angle reminds me of 74 trinity pl
4C705169-7DE8-4A7A-BDB2-1FA081A17022.jpeg

image00051-e1598648180658.jpeg

This angle reminds me of one court sq
E0430EB1-DCC1-471A-A9FF-3A13ABCD9D8C.jpeg

citicorp_overall2_mg.jpg

Last edited:
....From the angle you posted it reminds me of the Citigroup building or whatever it is called that used to stand alone in Long Island City (now surrounded by glass garbage).

This angle reminds me of one court sq
citicorp_overall2_mg.jpg

That's the one!!! Some angles also remind me of IDS in Minneapolis.

1644383426563.png

Also some shades of US Steel Tower in Pittsburgh due to triangular(ish) shape.

1644383475676.png

Any way we cut it, this tower will make for a solid/standout tallest on Cambridge's skyline if it actually gets built.

I predict the crown is going to get cut down, which is going to make the building read as stumpy.

I predict the crown is going to get cut down, which is going to make the building read as stumpy.

Haha, Random you are just a fountain of joy lately on aB. I have a different read on this situation: One, they sneakily inserted a residential amenity/lounge into one corner of the crown (above the HOF level) which gives them motivation to keep it as-is (to fit both that plus mechanicals). Second, as Equilibria mentions, this height has already been negotiated with the city through numerous forums/meetings.

Back