Neighborhood Clocks

AdamBC

Reaction score
I've notices there are many 'neighborhood clocks' around Boston. Here are the ones I've photographed so far. Are there any others you've noticed?

Cleveland Circle

Brighton Center

Day Square in E Boston (by night, don't have a shot by day)

There's one on Elm Street in Davis Square. Unfortunately, whoever owns it never set it forward for Daylight Time this spring.

Boston University College of Arts & Sciences, Tsai Center Entrance:

99-3428i-20.jpg

FYI, the developer of the Penny Savings Bank condo conversion asked the South End Landmarks Commission if he could add a clock to the exterior of the building. I can't remember if he brought photos of the exterior from when it had a clock or if he just thought it was a neat addition to the exterior. Either way, the commission said, try again. This was a couple months' ago, don't know if he's going to come back.

This is the Penny Savings Bank that the Archdiocese sold a couple years ago, at the corner of Union Park and Washington, in the South End.

Centre St. in JP has/had one. It's currently out for repairs. No timetable for its return, just a little sign sitting on the sidewalk to let you know it's coming back eventually.

I know the Washington Square one in Brookline was added recently - are any of these "real" clocks, or are they all Disney World clocks added in the last ten years and made to look old-timey?

Almost all of them are the products of nostalgic 90s streetscaping projects.

Mass Avenue at Boylston has one and there used to be others along Boylston until trucks hit them over the years. There are clocks at the Symphony stop on the green line and I think there used to be on in Brigham Circle. To my knowledge none of them have kept proper time in years.

That's a different design, and I think part of a business that is/used to be at that corner.. not quite the same as the clocks I was noticing around town.

I heard from a friend that a clock is planned for the entrance of the new Savin Hill T Stop, and that money was raised and the clock was bought - but now the neighborhood group is having a hard time finding the "owner" of the pavement outside of the T stop - the MBTA, MassHighway and the CIty of Boston are all involved... so the red tape is strangling them. Then, there were ADA compliancy issues with the width of the sidewalk where it was going. So... the clock sits in storage waiting for the red tape to unwind.

That whole Savin Hill T area has been redeveloped in the past ten years - it's a beautiful little village now (with some gaps still needing infill).

No wonder "Satin Hill" is replacing "Stab'n'kill" as the area's nickname.

I know there is one at Peabody Square-Ashmont, Adams Village and a new one in Neponset Circle, all in Dorchester

Back