New Bar and Restaurant for Long Warf

PaulC

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, kind of fits into several other postings but I thought this thread could use a revisit.

--------------------------------------

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2009/03/08/not_happy_with_restaurant_offering/
A group of 12 citizens is fighting a Boston Redevelopment Authority plan calling for a restaurant at the end of Long Wharf in downtown Boston, claiming that the land is protected open space.

The restaurant, to be called Doc's, is part of the BRA's long-term plan to reconnect the city with the sea, and enliven a section of the waterfront they refer to as a dead zone.

But the group views the project as a hijacking of public waterfront that for years has offered residents a reprieve from the whir of city life.

"There isn't another piece of property like this in downtown Boston. It is so unique," said Thomas Schiavoni, a member of the citizens' group opposing the project.

Last fall, the 12 North End residents filed an appeal with the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection to contest the agency's decision to grant a Chapter 91 license, which regulates wetlands activity and was one of the last authorizations needed before construction could begin.

Doc's, to be owned and operated by Eat Drink Laugh Restaurant Group, which also owns West on Centre in West Roxbury and 21st Amendment across from the State House, was initially slated to open Memorial Day weekend of 2008 .

The conflict came to a head on Feb. 24 during a hearing for the appeal, which was held at the DEP in downtown Boston.

During the proceedings, the group, led by Sanjoy Mahajan, a lecturer in electrical engineering at MIT, argued that Long Wharf is protected under Article 97 of the Massachusetts constitution, which preserves land around the Commonwealth for the public.

The group pointed to the city's own Park and Recreations Department that designates Long Wharf on its website as protected open space under Article 97, as well as under Chapter 91, the federal Land and Water Conservation Fund and the Wetland Protection Act .

To build on land that falls under Article 97 protection, approval is needed by two-thirds of the state Legislature, which the BRA never sought, the group argued.

In their submitted testimony, the group has also argued the BRA's plan would significantly decrease what is now a 270-degree panoramic view of the harbor, privatize what is intended to be public land designated by the state for passive recreation, and contribute noise pollution to the area.

On their part, the BRA, represented by Rosenberg & Schapiro, P.C. , submitted in early February roughly a thousand pages of testimony to defend the merits of the project and show how it would complement, not be contrary to, public usage of the Long Wharf plaza.

The BRA declined to comment on the appeal, though agency spokeswoman Jessica Shumaker expressed hope for a quick resolution.

With the Tall Ships set to arrive in Boston in early July, there is added incentive to have the restaurant completed and open for business by the summer.

Last March, The Boston Globe reported on the plans for Long Wharf and the agency's enthusiasm for what a restaurant would bring to the plaza, including public restrooms, a designated public seating area and an attraction that would bring people down to the end of the wharf year-round.

The restaurant would also be a source of income for the agency in the form of lease payments.

To the citizens' group, which has no formal legal representation, the sheer size of the BRA's response was overwhelming, Mahajan said.

Initially, they had one week to submit their rebuttal, but they were granted an extra week, and filed in time for the hearing.

Mahajan said their half of the hearing went well and was pleased his group was able to testify on many of the issues they see as key to winning the appeal.

But they are considering seeking other avenues, too, including petitioning the Massachusetts attorney general's office on the Article 97 question, according to Mary McGee, another member of the group opposing the project.

The hearing will continue tomorrow at DEP headquarters in Boston at which time the BRA will present its case and the group opposing the project will have an opportunity to cross-examine the agency's witnesses.

A decision from the DEP's commissioner, Laurie Burt, is expected by the end of April, according to Edmund Coletta, spokesman for the agency.

Both parties then have the option of appealing to Suffolk County Superior Court.

? Copyright 2009 Globe Newspaper Company.

I like the concept but it sure is ugly:

http://www.paramountboston.com/longwharf/html/design/siteplan.pdf
http://www.paramountboston.com/longwharf/html/design/renderings.pdf
http://www.paramountboston.com/longwharf/html/design.html

Even The Boston Harbor Associates like it!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.tbha.org/policystatements/2008-docsrestaurant3-08.pdf

Re: Marriott Long Wharf makeover

Wow. Ok, so I didn't even know this thing existed until I was walking around the waterfront with a friend while back in town last year (it was in The Departed but I didn't know where it was).

The only people using it were bums.

So to these people I say, "STFU". It might not be the prettiest building but it will be damn nicer than what is there. Plus there is more than precedent for having a private restaurant on public parkland. I predict NIMBY-Fail.

I've been going there since the mid 70's and have always thought it's a shame to that this area is so under utilized. They fixed it up years ago and that still wasn't enough to attract more than a handfull of people. This project will bring some much needed life and hopefully the owners show 'civic responsibility' towards the area and help maintain the park.

But the group views the project as a hijacking of public waterfront that for years has offered residents a reprieve from the whir of city life.
Pretty much all of harbor walk is deserted so I don't see the point.

In their submitted testimony, the group has also argued the BRA's plan would significantly decrease what is now a 270-degree panoramic view of the harbor]
Unless they build to the end of the wharf, and they're not, then there will still be a 270-degree view.

Here is an example of people wanting the oposite - the cafe is the most popular choice:
http://www.fenwaycivic.org/projects.htm
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=wX1vQ7si8KSIat5WHUqq2Q_3d_3d">Click
by the way it's called the 'duck house' because of all the duck that hang arond outside.

a reprieve from the whir of city life.

Do they mean from the crowded chaos of Christopher Columbus Park or the unbearable bustle of the Rose Kennedy Greenway?

This project has already languished for a couple of years...typical of the city to listen to NIMBYs bitch interminably. I wish we had a mayor with the stones to put these idiots in there place.

I like the comment on the page of that article.

P I T I F U L .

From the article comments section:

Only in Boston, would a city authority declare a quiet,open area a "dead zone"! During the summer, I like to walk out to end of Long Wharf to enjoy the view and the breeze.

The BRA proposes to create a large noisy bar. Will it propose replacing the low chain edge with a seven foot feence to keep bar patrons from leaning too far over the edge? Who will rescue the poor patron who does fall over?

It's unfortunate that, in addition to paying taxes, residents of the City of Boston have to spend their spare time and money keeping city employees from destroying our city.

I'm praying for the success of the 12 challengers!

Dear lord, what the hell goes through the minds of these people? They're so...wrong...

I couldn't help it so I posted a comment criticizing the poster. Seriously, does this guy believe that patrons would just jump off the edge for no reason. Look at the aquarium and in the west end. There are a bunch of restaurant lined against piers and water. Have we heard any case of people jumping into the water? It's unbelievable. The guy thinks he owns the land and that it is in his right that the place remains a destination for him to go look out at the sea. There are better places. He should move to Cape Cod or go move to some place closer like East Boston. Piers Park provides a nice place to go stare at water.

I think his criticism was that the city would be more concerned about bar patrons falling over the edge than everyday visitors - but he kinda ruins it by implying that he actually likes the lack of barriers along the pier.

To be honest, I like the view from Long Wharf, but my understanding is that this pub is not going to interfere with the ability of someone to stand at its end and stare.

Problem is, the bar design stinks.

Could it possibly be worse?

To be fair, on nice days in the summer the wharf is packed with people, but "on nice days in the summer" is the operative phrase here. Long Wharf is one of the most unique spots in the city, but as is it's only usable 3 or 4 months a year.

To tell you the truth, you'd think that crotchety North Enders would love the project because at least it'll get rid of those punk skateboarders. GET OFF MY LAWN, err... WHARF!!!

Problem is, the bar design stinks.

Could it possibly be worse?

What? You don't like the 2x4s cum Lincoln Logs sitting on a pile of brick and glass motif?

For all to enjoy:

docs.jpg

The lobster claw apostrophe is a classy touch!

I don't see why North End residents would care about this one way or the other, as it's not in their neighborhood.

The group that's complaining isn't a neighborhood representative body; it's just a bunch of people who happen to all live in the NE. And not that I agree with them, but why shouldn't they have input? They're stakeholders aren't they?

I didn't say they shouldn't have input, just that the proposed project has no effect on the North End.

Is that picture just statler's Photoshop or does it have some basis in reality?

^^ I wish I could do something like that in PS.

I pulled it right off the .PDF that was posted earlier.

Doesn't effect the North End? Why, because there's an arbitrary political boundary between the two? There are a good number of NE-ers who live closer to Long Wharf than they do to Hanover St.

Map

Ugh. That sign is much too large. They should at least be required to reduce it and tone it down. I like having a restaurant at this location, but the aesthetics need a LOT more work.

Long Wharf is too much of a common area used by the city as a whole to be given over to one neighborhood just because they happen to be the closest to it.

Back