New Biogen Office in Weston, MA

SeamusMcFly

Reaction score
A few pictures I took while on site at a new blah lanscraper in the 128 belt.

DSCI0071.jpg

DSCI0070.jpg

DSCI0069.jpg

DSCI0068.jpg

DSCI0067.jpg

DSCI0066.jpg

DSCI0064.jpg

DSCI0063.jpg

Just another building that I shake my head at and say. They could cut this behemoth into 5 pieces and stack them on top of each other, add a couple levels of retail rental on the bottom, and make a halfway decent 20-25 storey mid rise. Or make it 30 - 35 with Biogen as the chief tenant with filler office space. Put it in a downtown setting.... But, no they want there own building in a place I cannot understand anyone even wanting to work if they ever have to use 128.

Pays the bills though.

When I see a building like that all I can think of is Office Space.

I have to admit, this is one of the better looking office park buildings I've seen along the 128 corridor.

So this is where they put the extra four stories of Fan Pier that Vivien Li objected to.

The weather in the photos appropriately summarizes my feelings toward this building.

Weston has quite a picturesque and pleasant town center, but this building would look out of place there. How far is it from the common?

It's the very first driveway on the right when you get off 128. I don't know Weston well, but it looks about as far from any town center as can be. Used to be quarries I believe (the site did).

The site was a quarry. Used to be Massachusetts Crushed Stone, I think. Office space is the best use for the site. Too much car noise for houses or some bland apartment community. The MBTA's Fitchburg train goes right next to the site. Used to be a stop there many years ago, pre 128.

With all the complaints about the building, Would you prefer that the jobs that go with the site go to Menlo Park or the Research Triangle?

Car noise and train noise not withstanding. There is a pretty sizable McMansion right next door. I'm pretty sure with a bit of work and all that available water and landscape you could sculpt a pretty decent suburban dream/nightmare there as exists right next door with a bunch of sub-developments.

The complaint is not so much about the building itself, but that these types of building exist and in these locations. I don't think there is enough time to cover that subject and I'm sure it has been beaten to death already.

As far as jobs at this site. I'd probably end up driving into the quarry if I had to deal with that stretch of 128 everyday. Hmmm 400,000 sf of office space and the 1,200 people that go along with it. Hate to put that near mass transit that can handle them. Let's put more people at the most ridiculous highway interchange I've driven on recently.

I want those jobs to stay in MA, but it's a shame putting them in (for lack of a better term) stupid locations is the only way to make it economical to keep them here.

With all the complaints about the building, Would you prefer that the jobs that go with the site go to Menlo Park or the Research Triangle?

I'd prefer them in Kendall. How many people actually enjoy working in a place like this, anyway?

Back