NH could see 70 mph limit

M. Brown

Reaction score
Bill Would Raise Speed Limit To 70 MPH

CONCORD, N.H. -- The state could raise its highway speed limit to 70 mph under a proposal from a Nashua legislator.

A committee is investigating whether to raise the speed limit from 65 mph. Rep. David Smith, D-Nashua, said that the increase wouldn't make the highways more dangerous.

http://www.wmur.com/news/15056471/detail.html

I so hope that this gets passed! :)

I think that's a good idea!

I visited my girlfriend in North Carolina a few months ago while she was visiting family, and the highways there were 70 mph and more hilly and curvey than ours. 5 mph isn't going to make trips much faster but it also isn't going to make things less safe than they already are either. And obviously there will be sections of heaveier traffic like around cities that will have lower speed limits like 55 or whatever. They wouldn't even have to upgrade the signs because no one goes 65 anyways :p

Considering most people do 80 this isn't really going to change anything.

There should be more tiering of highway speeds. Sure 55 is fine in a city, but once you're out in wide open space, kick it up to 80.

Ya, people do go 80, but this will be a lot better with being caught by cops. If you go 10 mph over the speed limit, cops usually don't bust you, so now you can go 80 in a 70 and it wouldn't be as bad as going 80 in a 65.

Well the bill has officially been rejected. *wipes tears off face*

Well...look on the bright side...people drive this fast or faster regardless of the speed limit!

secret to beating tickets: at night put your dome light on when you're pulled over, cops like that and sometimes let you off... Its worked for me a few times. especially handy when your young and have illegal stuff in the car ;)

^^Hmm. never thought of that. Usually I keep it just a tick under 80 (if the first number is a 7 instead of an 8, then it makes a big difference even if it's only 1mph).

I find that NH is the toughest just before and after the toll booth on 95 (i don't drive 93 in NH much so i wouldn't know). I got busted right where the speed limit goes from 65 to 30 heading into the booth a month ago, but the cop let me off. Maine is another story, you have to go slower. They wait in the median and everyone drives slower, so combining that with the lower traffic volume (usually) on 95 in Maine, and it's a dangerous place to speed.

Shame though. I love the Florida highways with speed limits in the 70s.

Back