North End Cross Street Boutique Hotel | 42 Cross Street | North End

Its because that “plaza” is technically a street. It continues on to the next parcel over as well. Its a pretty useless street, but still you cant build a building there. If you flip to map mode on apple maps you can even see it labelled as a 1 way. I dont know the story behind it, but Im sure its a holdover from the old grid that was demo’d to make way for the central artery, and subsequent greenway.

Its because that “plaza” is technically a street. It continues on to the next parcel over as well. Its a pretty useless street, but still you cant build a building there. If you flip to map mode on apple maps you can even see it labelled as a 1 way. I dont know the story behind it, but Im sure its a holdover from the old grid that was demo’d to make way for the central artery, and subsequent greenway.

One of my favorite websites is Atlascope Boston · Leventhal Map & Education Center You can see on there that between 1928 and 1938 the existing dense street network was opened up. I wonder what the logic was at that time? It looks like a huge change to the city plan--maybe prep for the central artery

Cross Street was moved south to a straighter alignment in the 1990s/early 2000s as part of the Big Dig project. Prior to that, when the old elevated Central Artery was there, Cross Street was on a curve along the front wall of the proposed hotel.

So, streets are realigned and the old right-of-way abandoned and made available for development all the time. I've worked on many road construction projects myself that did that. Why isn't that being done here? Undoubtedly some utilities are still under the old street ROW, but they could be moved. As for the adjacent parcel, that could remain as is (except for the utilities that would need moving).

Is this project moving forward?

A quick Goggle search - the project is still in court. Initially in Land Court, as mentioned earlier in this thread, a neighbor of the project is bringing a lawsuit against the Zoning board.
But now the article link below goes further into the weeds of a Superior Court case to research who is really providing the $ to stop the project.
Also, it appears there was the beginnings of a counter suit against a group of donors that are fighting the project were just subpoenaed for donating to the cause. Imagine donating to a cause and being subpoenaed!! The article indicates those subpoenas were just vacated this past June.
This is snowballing into a litigation hell which I assume was the plan from the beginning. Who knows though, by the end of all the court filings, the interest rates will fall again and the project will get financed.

Bank & Trade - article not behind a paywall!

A quick Goggle search - the project is still in court. Initially in Land Court, as mentioned earlier in this thread, a neighbor of the project is bringing a lawsuit against the Zoning board.
But now the article link below goes further into the weeds of a Superior Court case to research who is really providing the $ to stop the project.
Also, it appears there was the beginnings of a counter suit against a group of donors that are fighting the project were just subpoenaed for donating to the cause. Imagine donating to a cause and being subpoenaed!! The article indicates those subpoenas were just vacated this past June.
This is snowballing into a litigation hell which I assume was the plan from the beginning. Who knows though, by the end of all the court filings, the interest rates will fall again and the project will get financed.

Bank & Trade - article not behind a paywall!

So the way the community process works is: you're granted certain voice as an abutter...but you can sell that voice to a non-abutter ; )

Back