North Washington St Bridge

as of Oct 2022 update:
  • 3 lanes of traffic will switch to the new bridge in Winter 2023
  • The bridge will be fully open to all users in Winter 2024
  • The contract will be completed in Spring 2025 after the temporary bridge is demolished

Why would they wait until 2025 to take down the temp bridge if they're moving 3 lanes to the new bridge this Winter? We're not getting a fourth lane out of the temp bridge, right?

Why would they wait until 2025 to take down the temp bridge if they're moving 3 lanes to the new bridge this Winter? We're not getting a fourth lane out of the temp bridge, right?
Focus available labor on getting the new bridge fully open. The demolition of the temporary bridge is a non-value-added activity, so should not take up available workers until the new bridge is complete.

7/6:
PXL_20230706_234911691.jpg

It's kind of funny (if you're the sort of person who finds punctured pretensions funny) how the timber bumpers/barge guide things on either side of the main channel really spoil whatever "cool look" this architect was going for. They look way more out of place here than on something industrial-looking like the McArdle Bridge in Eastie.

The McArdle Bridge does have a cool, old industry, OG port facility look to it, but if they ever wanted to use it as a model, let's hope they make it a bit safer for pedestrians and bike riders. That is a white knuckle experience every single time I ride across it. Whereas I expect this new North Washington bridge to be a biking pleasure.

It's kind of funny (if you're the sort of person who finds punctured pretensions funny) how the timber bumpers/barge guide things on either side of the main channel really spoil whatever "cool look" this architect was going for. They look way more out of place here than on something industrial-looking like the McArdle Bridge in Eastie.
Ouch, I hadn't noticed that before. I wonder if it has to do with differing jurisdictions. Isn't the Army Corp typically responsible for maintaining navigable waterways? So they may have said to the City, we don't care what you want the bridge bumpers to look like, we're going with the cheap route that works everywhere.

I wonder if it's just a practicality thing. Timber is a lot easier to replace in the event of a wayward boat than concrete.

These probably are not actually timber, typically an engineered composite plastic that can look like timber. They have longer life cycles because they won't crush, split, or decay; better strength than timber, and are able to absorb impacts and deflect then return to their original position.

Timber is a lot easier to replace in the event of a wayward boat than concrete.
It's also a lot easier on the wayward boat.

These probably are not actually timber, typically an engineered composite plastic that can look like timber.
I'll take a closer look next time I ride through on the ferry. They look like timber to me, but now I'm having my doubts.

From last week. Laying concrete deck.

Attachments

• IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0164.JPG
    IMG_0164.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0168.JPG
    IMG_0168.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 245
I don't think so. When I was crossing the bridge Monday morning it had workers moving around on it.

There was no update for over a month (and no meaningful changes in transit service across the bridge), literally thought work on this bridge got stopped and halted again, since there were no updates for a month. This bridge and the Gov't Ctr Garage, the two things that won't stop can't stop being (almost) frozen in time.

Back