North Washington St Bridge

It needed to go, but still sad to see that piece of history disappear.

Bike lane or not, this is still a vast improvement for cyclists compared to that nightmare inducing open grate bridge deck. Back before WFH I used to ride down the shoulders of Rutherford Ave and Gillmore Bridge no sweat, but drew the line at pedaling over that death trap.

Riding over the grate on a motorcycle was heart attack inducing in my younger years.

From the 8th Floor of the Residence Inn Tudor Wharves today (Sat Aug 1st) at about 2:15pm
NWashBridge_20200801_145618784_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
My photos were from around 8:30 this morning. They are really moving on this demo.

Edited my post to say "2:15pm" for mine. It also seems that down the centerline of the bridge you can make out streetcar rails embedded in the concrete, although they could also be some kind of old median structure.

Picture taken from the end of the hallway. Sadly you need a room key to ascend in the elevators (I was moving out an essential worker who had a room on 8th) or I'd recommend this as a place to always take pictures from. Hotel staff was super-friendly, and they did have some kind of Chapter 91 / Harborwalk commitment (but public restrooms were closed) so maybe they'd let you up there.

Last edited:
Edited my post to say "2:15pm" for mine. It also seems that down the centerline of the bridge you can make out streetcar rails embedded in the concrete, although they could also be some kind of old median structure.

No, that's streetcar rails. BeeLine's first photo has clear evidence to the right of the bobcat and below the rightmost excavator.

All the old BERY maps show a trolley line crossing the N. Washington St. Bridge.

^ Do I read that correctly: everything that was over the water is gone?
(leaving the "land approach" on the Charlestown side intact)

Incidentally, when they do that "garages under the bridge approaches" thing (as they have done on the Charlestown side) do they really tend to make good use of the space they create?

^ Do I read that correctly: everything that was over the water is gone?
(leaving the "land approach" on the Charlestown side intact)
The old pivoting portion of the bridge is completely gone. There's still some metal structure on the Charlestown side that goes over the water.

I noticed that when I was regularly taking the Seaport ferry. Was also kind of amused by the standard "bridge work ahead" and "new traffic pattern" construction signs for the boats.

^ Is it possible they're nipping at the top course in order to add the side bike/ped space?

^ Is it possible they're nipping at the top course in order to add the side bike/ped space?
Are they leaving some of the stone masonry in place? I was under the impression that the design called for it to be all removed.

Back