Northern New England News

I drove passed the new Sea Doggs statue today, the one of the family. It looks nice, but its not as shiney as I thought it would be and it is also smaller than I thought it would be. Also, I thought it would be placed closer to the main door, but its kind of off to the side. But all that aside, I think it is a great addition to the city.

A full-steam forecast

E-mail this page

Reader Comments (below)
By TOM BELL, Staff Writer

Thursday, April 19, 2007

A record number of cruise ship passengers are expected to visit Maine this year. While the state's top two destinations, Bar Harbor and Portland, will benefit from the surge, the state's smallest ports will see the biggest jump.
The number of passengers will more than double in Bucksport, Rockland, Castine, Camden, Belfast and Bangor.
Moreover, on July 5 Eastport will host the first cruise ship its port has seen since the early 1990s. Back then, the community didn't pay enough attention to making visitors welcome, and the ships never returned. This time they are ready.
"We are putting together an itinerary that will so totally delight them that they will be wondering why they didn't come here before," said Jett Peterson, who runs a bed-and-breakfast and sits on the city's port authority board.
Amy Powers of Cruise Maine, which markets Maine's 12 ports to the cruise ship industry, said 230 ship visits are scheduled for Maine this summer and fall. That means a record 180,000 passenger days are possible if each ship is filled to capacity.
The potential number of passenger days is calculated by multiplying a ship's capacity by the number of days it is traveling in Maine waters. The record for potential passenger days is 147,000, set in 2005. Last year, Maine had 137,000 potential passenger days.
"It's a pretty sure thing that this is going to be the largest year ever," Powers said. "We just hope the weather holds out."
More than 30 cruise ships have booked visits to Portland, up from 17 in 2006. In terms of passenger counts, last year was one of the worst for Portland since the late 1990s, according to the annual State of the Ports report released Wednesday by Jeff Monroe, the city's ports and transportation director. The report summarizes transportation data for ships, trains, buses and planes.
Monroe said the city is doing a better job this year of marketing itself to the cruise ship industry, working with Freeport and Kennebunkport to sell the entire region as a destination.
Monroe expects the city will host around 45,000 passengers, about the same number that visited in 2005.
The cruise industry spent nearly $31 million in Maine in 2005, supporting 412 jobs that paid $14 million in wages and salaries, according to an economic impact study commissioned by the International Council of Cruise Lines. A University of Maine study found each passenger spends more than $100 per day in port.
The state's small ports are served by American Cruise Lines, which uses vessels that hold about 50 passengers. The company recently built a new boat, the American Star, which has double that capacity.
The American Star will make its maiden cruise June 16, departing from Bangor and traveling on a round-trip circuit to Bucksport, Bar Harbor, Rockland, Castine, Camden and Belfast. The ship will make cruises every week until Sept. 26. In addition, a smaller vessel, the American Glory, will make five cruises on the same route.
While the ships are small, the towns are also small, so their impact is felt by local merchants and restaurants, said Linda Silvia, a staff member with the Penobscot Bay Regional Chamber of Commerce.
"It's good news for Rockland," she said. "They don't have to park. They arrive at the dock. They are looking to shop. They are looking to dine. They are looking to be entertained. They come to spend their time and money."
Powers said cruising continues to grow in popularity, and the industry has responded by boosting investment.
One of the new vessels, Royal Caribbean International's Explorer of the Seas, will visit Portland three times this season, bringing as many as 3,835 passengers to port each time.
Monroe said the city's port facilities were undamaged in Monday's storm and are ready for the cruise ship season.
Staff writer Tom Bell can be contacted at 791-6369 or at
tbell@pressherald.com

^great news!

A random picture from Today, I've been coming down to South Portland a lot to visit my g.f. Can't hurt to snap a few pics while I'm there.

sppp.jpg

And I've started a little photography blog
http://templetonphotography.blogspot.com/
Check 'er out!

Those are really neat! Haha it's random that we have the same layout and everything. Great minds think alike.

A Brooklyn, N.Y.-based real estate firm that owns Portland's Time & Temperature building has purchased 50,000 square feet of retail and residential space in the Old Port.

E-mail this page

Reader Comments (below)

May 23, 2007

?

A Brooklyn, N.Y.-based real estate firm that owns Portland's Time & Temperature building has purchased 50,000 square feet of retail and residential space in the Old Port.

Kalmon Dolgin Affiliates Inc. bought the portfolio of properties -- at 432-446 Fore St., 32-54 Wharf St. and 9 Union St. -- from the Baumann family for $8.3 million.

The buildings include shops and restaurants including Cake and 51 Wharf St.

Kalmon Dolgin bought the Time & Temperature building at 477 Congress St. in 2006 for $13 million.

The Globe said:
Au revoir Paris, hello Wolfeboro
France's president plans N.H. respite

By Lisa Wangsness, Globe Staff | August 2, 2007

WOLFEBORO, N.H. -- France's President Nicolas Sarkozy would not have to stray far from the Champs-Elys?es to find a summer holiday spot most Americans can only dream of. A castle in the Loire valley. A country estate in Provence. A villa on the French Riviera.

But non.

Sarkozy, his country's celebrated new leader, is planning to get some rest and relaxation on the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee.

Wolfeboro -- a popular vacation destination for countless Bostonians -- is buzzing with excitement about his visit.

David W. Owen, the town manager, said local public safety officials have met with the Secret Service to arrange security.

"We're used to having notables, although not heads of state -- heads of state are a little different class," he said.

It is unclear whether Sarkozy's family is accompanying him or why he has chosen Wolfeboro; local residents interviewed did not know of any previous connection. The timing of his visit is also something of a mystery, but a source with knowledge of the trip said Sarkozy plans to arrive in early August and stay for as long as two weeks. A spokesman for the French consulate in Boston declined yesterday to confirm the visit.

If Lake Winnipesaukee's reputation for motorcycles, power boats, and jet skis seems unlikely to attract a sophisticated, cultured Frenchman, Wolfeboro itself is a picturesque small town that retains the charm of early 20th century New England.

"It probably has a little more European feel to it because of the little-bitty stores that have survived -- you don't see that anymore in the bigger communities," said Karen Baker, who owns The Country Bookseller on North Main Street. She added that the anti-French wave of a few years back didn't show itself in town much. "No one changed the name of the French fries on the menus up here."

Certainly there are more French fries than fine French restaurants in town, though if Sarkozy gets the urge, he could find a nice bit of Camembert or wedge of brie at Camelot, a downtown book and gift shop that also sells an assortment of French cheeses.

"It would be nice to try them if he would be interested," said owner Al Pierce.

The word around town this week was that Sarkozy -- or a proxy -- might be renting a former Microsoft executive's 13,000-square-foot lakefront estate. Allan Bailey, who takes visitors on lake cruises, said that last week, he saw at least seven open-deck fast boats, which he believed to be security boats, patrolling the lakefront near the estate.

Mike Appe, the owner of the property, who was out mowing his lawn on Tuesday, smiled but declined to comment when asked about the visit.

Wolfeboro, which bills itself as the oldest summer resort in America, takes great pride in its natural beauty and low-key sensibility, and over the years the town has drawn rich and famous people from all over the world -- including Mitt Romney, who owns a summer home a few minutes by boat or car from Appe's mansion.

"I think the town will welcome him with open arms, but there won't be pressure on him or anything else," said Richard Kendall, a mechanic who owns Weston Auto Body Shop. "Townies leave people alone, they respect their privacy. The townies will give him his distance and let him do as he wishes."

He added that he hopes the visit will bring about "a thawing of tensions between two world powers . . . which we need."

Sarkozy's visit appears to be a private vacation, not a business trip. Still, the world will probably see some symbolism in his American adventure.

Sarkozy has promised to improve French-US relations, which have been strained since 2003, when the French government strongly objected to the US invasion of Iraq.

Back then, France-bashing was common among American conservatives; even the cafeteria at the New Hampshire State House, then dominated by Republicans, briefly renamed its French fries "freedom fries." But since his election in May, Sarkozy has become the darling of American conservatives, who see him as an ally.

Adam Gopnik, who has written extensively about French politics and culture for The New Yorker and in his own books, said yesterday it would be "a huge mistake" to think Sarkozy idealizes America, but he said the new French president appears to want to "drain the drama" from relations between the two countries.

Asked about the prospect of Sarkozy's visit, Gopnik said he did not know whether Sarkozy had any political purpose in his trip, but if he did, it might be to make it seem "completely normal and unfreighted that a French president could vacation in America."

Traffic is normally heavy this time of year in town, but Owen, the town manager, said he did not expect Sarkozy and his security to create major additional delays.

"We suspect when and if he goes out and about, there will be motorcades and some delay that will be experienced by people," he said. "But there's already significant delays at times."

Lisa Wangsness can be reached at lwangsness@globe.com.
Link

I've spent a lot of time in Wolfboro and I always enjoy myself, but even I tend to get bored after a couple of hours there. It a pretty small area and you can hit all the shops in one day. Boating is fun for a while, but you can see pretty much the entire lake in a few hours.
It's fine for a slub like me or even Mitt, but I'm not sure why the president of France would want to spend two weeks there. Is he going to take day trips? Play some skee-ball the Weirs? Go carts at FunSpot? Does the president of France like to go antiquing? Maybe some mini golf! There is also a shiny new Harley dealership in Meredith! He can even catch the new Harry Potter flick at Spinelli's while he is there. Fun times.

Patrick said:
Northern New England is very French.

French-Canadian, which is a completely different breed of French.

Even so I could see some folks from the French country side enjoying Wolfeboro, or even the French president for a long weekend, but two weeks seems like a long time to stay couped up in a small town.

statler said:
Patrick said:
Northern New England is very French.

French-Canadian, which is a completely different breed of French.

Even so I could see some folks from the French country side enjoying Wolfeboro, or even the French president for a long weekend, but two weeks seems like a long time to stay couped up in a small town.

True.

The Globe said:
Sarkozy seeks to dodge public eye
Fends off press on N.H. vacation

By April Yee, Globe Correspondent | August 6, 2007

WOLFEBORO, N.H. -- He is the visiting head of state of a major European ally. But President Nicolas Sarkozy of France is also just another guy trying to enjoy his Granite State vacation with family and friends.

That, anyway, was the impression Sarkozy tried to convey at an impromptu lakefront briefing yesterday with reporters who have been hawking his every move, from the dock to the lake to the $30,000-a-week Lake Winnipesaukee estate where he is staying.

"There are 900,000 French who come to America every year, I am one of those 900,000," Sarkozy said as he stood on the shore of the glistening lake. "It's a big country, a friend of France. . . . [The trip] has no political significance."

Sarkozy has been dogged all week by speculation about the meaning of his trip, as well as the question: Could France's new head of state travel to the United States without even saying hello to President George Bush?

"Perhaps," Sarkozy said yesterday with a smile. It was just about the only English he used at his meeting with two dozen French and American journalists. He said he hoped they would leave him alone for the rest of his vacation.

"I'll answer your questions, naturally, and afterward perhaps you can report on other news and leave me be," said Sarkozy, 52, in French as American Secret Service agents and his own security guards held back reporters trying to get closer. "You can enjoy the lake or go back to Paris."

Sarkozy declined to say whether he planned to meet with Bush, who is scheduled to vacation later this week at his parents' retreat in Kennebunkport, Maine, 50 miles from Wolfeboro. Sarkozy fended off questions about a possible summit, the subject of much speculation last week in the French media and on the streets of Kennebunkport, where Bush last month hosted President Vladimir Putin of Russia.

The French leader said the Bush administration and the French presidential palace would announce a meeting if there is to be one.

"When the time comes, the White House and the ?lys?e will say what there is to say about an eventual meeting," he said.

Standing on the shore in this quaint resort town of 6,600 residents, Sarkozy seemed relaxed as he answered questions, and later posed for what he hoped were a final set of photographs. He wore loafers without socks and a white button-down shirt with his initials neatly embroidered in blue on the front pocket, the sleeves rolled up.

Later in the day, Sarkozy lost his temper with two American news photographers, AP photographer Jim Cole and freelancer Vince DeWitt, who were covering his vacation. The French president jumped onto their boat and scolded them loudly in French, briefly grabbing one of their cameras. After Cole and DeWitt promised to stop shooting photos for the day, Sarkozy calmed down, reboarded his boat, and continued out onto the lake with his party.

Since Thursday, Sarkozy has been staying with two other families -- one French, one French-American -- at a house owned by a former Microsoft executive. Yesterday, he said his vacation was not a diplomatic mission.

The visit "doesn't have any political significance," Sarkozy said, speaking in French. "I have the right to have friends, to visit them, to go on vacation. If I had gone to Italy, that wouldn't mean I didn't like Spain. If I had gone to Spain, that wouldn't mean I didn't like Greece."

Since the US invasion of Iraq in 2003, criticized by France's former president Jacques Chirac, relations between Washington and Paris have been tepid. Observers on both sides of the Atlantic saw Sarkozy's election victory in May as a sign of change in the relationship. In his acceptance speech, he quipped that the new president of France would have less power than a governor of an American state.

Earlier, in 2004, Sarkozy had said, "Some in France call me Sarkozy the American. I'm proud of that."

Sarkozy defended France's recent role in negotiations with Libya over the fate of six medics who had been convicted of infecting Libyan children with the AIDS virus. Last month, Sarkozy's wife, C?cilia, flew to Tripoli on a presidential plane and returned with the nurses. French media have questioned whether the sale of French antitank weapons to Libya was related to the freeing of the medics.

Sarkozy is scheduled to fly home on Aug. 15. He did not say whether he would spend his entire vacation in Wolfeboro.

He has suggested to French media staked out in Wolfeboro that he had received some kind of invitation from Bush, although he continued to maintain yesterday that a summit had not been the reason for his visit to the United States.

Sarkozy said he enjoys the lake, the forests, and the sense of being in a special part of America. Friends, who he said have been vacationing in Wolfeboro for years, rented the house.

"It's very relaxing," he said. "It's exactly what I wanted."

Sarkozy is visiting with his wife and their son, Louis, 10, who went canoeing with his father. Sarkozy has two grown sons from a previous marriage.

The French president said he was missing just two things: the ability to speak English better, and a boating license. "My English is so bad," he said.

He has been spending his days jet-skiing and canoeing, and in the morning tries to jog for at least an hour to the beat of French artists on his iPod, which he said also includes songs by Elvis Presley and C?line Dion.

Yesterday's briefing also gave Wolfeboro residents a chance to catch a glimpse of the French president, one of many celebrities and politicians, including actress Drew Barrymore and Mitt Romney, who have passed through town.

Leaning forward expectantly, Kimberly Thomson, 26, sat near the site of the briefing, a spot where residents frequently sprawl on the grass to listen to summertime concerts. Thomson, a high school social studies teacher, had come from church with her family, and said she might someday speak of her brush with Sarkozy.

"His actions of being here speak louder than anything I'd hear him say," she said.

A lone protester watched for Sarkozy. Brooks Campbell, 57, wore a navy Veterans For Peace hat and hoisted a sign with a traffic symbol and the words, "Iraq Escalation: Wrong Way."

"I need him to be honest and truthful to the president," Campbell said, looking at the horde of Secret Service agents and journalists. "I hope the leaders of the world unite."

After the press conference, Sarkozy was swarmed, shaking hands and posing for photos. Minutes later he was whisked off in a SUV.

"Pretty exciting for Wolfeboro, huh?" said Chuck Czerkawski, 48, a Cohasset resident who summers by the lake.

April Yee can be reached at ayee@globe.com. Material from the Associated Press was used in this report.
? Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company

Link

Back