Northland Newton | Needham St. @ Oak St. | Newton

This is an extremely high quality project that is dense, walkable, and also located right next to a future green line branch extension.

Do you know something we don't? I would LOVE to see it, but I've never heard the MBTA speak seriously about it. It's mostly posted on this forum that the Orange line would be extended to the edge of Route 128, Green Line extension to Needham, and then Needham line commuter rail replaced by both.

Theres already a proposal so its at least being considered somewhere on the medium term horizon, which Im sure if this absolutely massive development gets built it would add a lot of political will towards moving it closer to the short term (after the development is completed).
https://www.newtonma.gov/home/showpublisheddocument/30859/637271911561600000

On top of that the cost benefit ratio is one of the highest out of almost any other project, even more so if this development happens, which I think would further bump it up in the cue. Nobody can really say for sure whats going to be the next extension, but an extension here is definitely in the cards.

Last edited:
Do you know something we don't? I would LOVE to see it, but I've never heard the MBTA speak seriously about it. It's mostly posted on this forum that the Orange line would be extended to the edge of Route 128, Green Line extension to Needham, and then Needham line commuter rail replaced by both.

I've been saying all along that the City of Newton blew it on this one - they should have asked Northland to build the station and contribute to the infrastructure as far as Upper Falls, and then paid a chunk of the remaining cost themselves. This extension is straight as an arrow, on pre-graded bed, with no crossings. It's the world's easiest and cheapest transit extension.

Of course, what Newton did instead was get the ROW path-banked so now the neighbors have a vested interest in keeping the train out.

20190325_Illustrative-Plan-Options.png
Similar to others - I'm unimpressed with the urban design and apparent lack of future-proofing here. There is a confusing street grid, the connection to Needham Street is misaligned from existing roadways, and there is no clear set-aside for a proper connection to a green line station. What a mess.

Similar to others - I'm unimpressed with the urban design and apparent lack of future-proofing here. There is a confusing street grid, the connection to Needham Street is misaligned from existing roadways, and there is no clear set-aside for a proper connection to a green line station. What a mess.

The connection to Needham Street is perfectly aligned, I think. There's realignment going on with MassDOT's rebuild and Northland owns the properties on the other side (and bear in mind that what you see on the right-hand side of the picture is effectively driveways, not real streets).

Also, the future GL station would be located next to the park to the left of Parcel 13. That seems like a perfectly acceptable connection - equivalent to the one at Union Square.

Details on Northland's 40B "Northland Charlmont" development across Needham Street from their larger project: https://www.newtonma.gov/home/showpublisheddocument/92222/638018591362970000

Just a ton getting dropped on this location without any transit service beyond a bus line on Needham Street. BUILD [CLAP] THE [CLAP] GREEN [CLAP] LINE [CLAP]!

Also worth noting that one argument made in favor of Northland's special permit during the referendum was that if Northland failed to get the negotiated permit, they'd simply dump units and parking spaces on the site through 40B and it would be worse... so now they've got their permit and dumped all those units on the other side of the street without ever seeking a negotiated permit there! Northland doing a real service to anti-NIMBY forces with that one!

1666824258569.png

1666824326859.png

1666824355250.png

1666824381977.png

Putting aside the obvious traffic issues on Needham Street, that intersection of Christina Street, Oak Street and Needham Street is a complete disaster and will only get worse once this is built.

Can confirm this is u/c
FE3BAED6-4A01-4615-A04E-E19A52E0CEED.jpeg

Couldnt get the greatest pic, but looking between the fence theres an absolutely massive hole back there now with lots of construction equipment down in it. Exciting stuff!

Northland held a public walking tour/status update of the construction site yesterday evening. A few high points/observations:

- Northland's folks seemed extremely competent and well-prepared. Knew every part of the history of the site going back to 1800, and included a lot of technical detail given the crowd.
- They have a big sales center set up in the mill building, which I believe gets converted into Northland's corporate HQ at some point. Lots of large-scale renders, posters, kiosks, materials samples for offices and condos, etc.
- A few of the roads have received new names - Tower Road will be "Lattice Road" within this project, and Pettee Way has been renamed to "Carden Lane". "Unnamed Street" has been named "Foundry Way". "Main Street" is staying, unfortunately.
- This site is definitely moving. The rough timeline we heard last night was about 18 more months of utilities, geotech, and site prep (about 1/3 complete now), then vertical construction. First occupancy in 2026 (the completion dates may have slipped a little), completion in around 2030.
- They're moving from the mill building north, so the first buildings to be completed will south of "Main Street", along with the street itself. The northernmost building on the Marshall's Plaza goes last.
- Very cool to see the exposed South Meadow Brook culvert (that's it in the last picture). The CM noted that South Meadow Brook is Newton's second-highest-volume waterway behind the Charles. They had 5 more feet of water in there last week than they had today. It goes somewhat to why (besides losing marketable space) they can't fully-daylight it. It would be kind of ugly, with a very deep trench of a channel and highly variable flow.

Construction website: https://www.northlandnewtonconstruction.com/

1689947366133.png

20230720_184033.jpg
20230720_184036.jpg

20230720_184109.jpg
20230720_184112.jpg
20230720_184844.jpg
20230720_184902.jpg
20230720_185303.jpg

Last edited:

How one housing project in Newton may change the way we think about building green
Massive apartment complex along Needham Street would be the largest so-called “passive house” residential project in the country.
By Aruni Soni Globe Correspondent,Updated August 2, 2023, 36 minutes ago

".......The project on 22 acres along Needham Street, known as Northland Newton Development, will be a 13-building, all-electric housing project built under the “passive house” building standard — using construction methods to maximize energy efficiency to the point where tenants pay no heating or cooling bills.

Experts say passive house represents massive step forward in green building. And according to the developers, there is no other passive house project this big in the country......."

:)love::love::love:)

The housing development will replace old warehouses on a 22-acre site in Newton Upper Falls.DAVID L. RYAN/GLOBE STAFF
1691001957766.png

1691001744255.png

1691001891361.png

1691001768887.png

Last edited:
This is probably the project Im most excited for in the entire city. Its pretty rare to get such massive transformational developments that take up entire city blocks in the outer neighborhoods like this. This looks to be really high quality too and good density. It stinks that were not getting a green line extension to go along with it but the right of way is there and hopefully the added density will make the expansion more of a priority.

This is probably the project Im most excited for in the entire city. Its pretty rare to get such massive transformational developments that take up entire city blocks in the outer neighborhoods like this. This looks to be really high quality too and good density. It stinks that were not getting a green line extension to go along with it but the right of way is there and hopefully the added density will make the expansion more of a priority.

To be clear--when you say, "the entire city"--you should mean the City of Newton, right? (versus, say everything inside Route 128 that SHOULD be part of Boston, but successfully warded-off annexation attempts?)

Also, regardless of which municipality you mean to reference, note that Newton's density is above that of: Worcester, Springfield, Waltham, Brockton, at just under 4,800 ppl. per sq. mi. That doesn't feel very "outer" to me--though I appreciate this corridor is about 10 miles or so from Downtown Boston.

Yea youre right reading that back it really doesnt make sense. I was basically just saying that this is my favorite project in the entire metro area and its nice to see an entire neighborhood built from scratch thats outside of the downtown core and in the more far flung suburbs where nimbyism is much stronger and theres usually not as much industrial land. Were all aware of the seaport, northpoint, volpe.. etc plus the public housing redevelopments, but its not as common to see this so far out and that makes me most excited about this project along with just how good it looks.

Yea youre right reading that back it really doesnt make sense. I was basically just saying that this is my favorite project in the entire metro area and its nice to see an entire neighborhood built from scratch thats outside of the downtown core and in the more far flung suburbs where nimbyism is much stronger and theres usually not as much industrial land. Were all aware of the seaport, northpoint, volpe.. etc plus the public housing redevelopments, but its not as common to see this so far out and that makes me most excited about this project along with just how good it looks.

There's also a wonderful old "brick-and-beam" ambiance with the former mills along this corridor--surely that "authentic" ambiance played a significant role in attracting this development, no?

Back