11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

Re: 28-story tower planned for Downtown Crossing

This project is a no go. Look at the proximity to 45 Province St. The residents are definitely going to complain about their views being blocked.

Don't take too much credit for calling it as a no-go. This project was a no-go as soon as the words "28 stories" were written

This could go either way. 33 Arch and the Intercontinental Hotel aren't the most incredible buildings but they are far from terrible.

Elkus Manfredi did a pretty good job with the Colonnade residences. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing something like that in this spot.

"I realize this isn't how real estate works, but it still bugs me that we have two ugly garages on Washington St that are begging to be replaced and yet we are going to demolish six perfectly redeemable buildings."

Leases can move to open office space and there are only so many parking spaces for all those cars to go. That's why the privately owned Harbor garage has gone bye bye for a large luxury residential development yet.

^^ Just one more small way we sacrifice our urban fabric for the convenience of the automobile.

Also, while the garage north of Filene's is no great piece of architecture, it does happen to house three thriving retail tenants -- H&M, TJ Maxx, and Marshall's. I'd hesitate to displace these given how little retail life there is elsewhere in the Crossing right now.

^^So? Move them like they are planning on moving City Sports, et al.

Move them into the Strawberries building.

Statler, the garages may be ugly, but their retail components are a success, and IMO don't really hurt the urban fabric.

Back on topic, I'll have to side with whoever it was that earlier said "pick your battles." Maybe if I saw what was behind the cheap newer facades I'd care more, but as it is demolition of those buildings gets a big old "meh" from me.

If they were proposing to tear down the Kennedy's building though, then I'd get fired up!

To my knowledge, Strawberries hasn't closed, though they renamed themselves "f.y.e" for some reason.

^^They were bought out by f.y.e. which (I think) is a national chain.

This went from having above ground parking yesterday to below ground parking in today's Globe.

I hope they don't put the garage entrance on Washington St.

I'd like to see the some of the old facades restore and used to break up the mass of this building but I would not want this to be a deal breaker. The old buildings make for a better pedestrian experience than most new buildings. Build higher to cover the expense.

fye is national and that store itself is 5 floors i think and each floor is about 25x35

L10901562.jpg

L10901662.jpg

L10901602.jpg

L10901612.jpg

L10901672.jpg

L10901692.jpg

Finally, this is Province Court. It is a short one way street that runs off Province Street. The underground parking garage will have its access here, on the right hand side. The low building on the right is the back of City Sports.

L10901702.jpg

Good riddance to the City Sports, Wendy's, and Children's Place buildings, though I'd like to see City Sports relocated rather than closed. It would be nice to keep the other two facades. What is the current use of the 3-story to the right of Payless?

So far I'm counting five buildings. Where is the sixth?

The first floor is (surprise!) a jewelry store. The 2nd and maybe 3rd floor sells Martial Arts movies and memorabilia. I'll have to take a trip up there to check it out before it closes.

Also, while the garage north of Filene's is no great piece of architecture, it does happen to house three thriving retail tenants -- H&M, TJ Maxx, and Marshall's. I'd hesitate to displace these given how little retail life there is elsewhere in the Crossing right now.

Isn't 33 Arch Street built partially on top of the parking garage. I don't think it can support another high-rise there.

The ground floor is a jewelry cooperative of 20(?)vendors. At least half of the vendor spots are now empty, with the rest packing their bags. Upstairs is a martial arts video store. I don't know what is on the third floor. Some of the fourth floor garret windows have been open to the elements for months, if not years. I'm guessing that it is now an avian sanctuary.

Good riddance to the City Sports, Wendy's, and Children's Place buildings, though I'd like to see City Sports relocated rather than closed. It would be nice to keep the other two facades. What is the current use of the 3-story to the right of Payless?

So far I'm counting five buildings. Where is the sixth?
That was my fault. I said six buildings and article said seven stores:

If approved, Midwood Investment & Development would demolish four stores along Washington Street and three on Bromfield Street and replace them with a 28-story tower.

Also don't write off the Children's Place and Wendy's buildings so quick. We don't know what is under those cheesy facades.

OK then: "four stores on Washington" = Wendy's, Children's Place, the jeweler, and Payless. "three stores on Bromfield" = City Sports and what other two?

Bromfield Pen Shop and I think a barber shop, but that may be further up the road.

A little help Toby?

Back