One Canal (formerly Greenway Center) | Bullfinch Triangle | West End

Justin7

Reaction score
I couldn't find a thread for this so I'm starting one. Feel free to move or delete this if necessary.

c5ki0.png

ek58ya.png

73nq5j.png

Project Website

BRA .pdf

City of Boston Assessment

LEED Gold Pre-certified.

50,000sf supermarket
15,000sf retail space
295,000sf office space
200 parking spaces

Last edited:
Re: Greenway Center (Bulfinch Triangle)

I remember discussing this in the Greenway thread I think but I'll restate that IMO, it doesn't look bad and I like the curved footprint. I want the waterfall back though. Are they ever going to develop the two remaining plots? They should really stitch that part back together.

bottom and top are excellent IMO, i just wish they would do somthing interesting to the middle, maybe some subtle curves on the glass or somthing.

The bottom is really nice though. They should definetely consider some sort of times square billboard crap along the curve.

I could have sworn we had a thread for this, but it must have just been the RKG thread. As I said before, I wouldn't mind if it were moved to the SBW, or if they got rid of the hideous blade/shutter things. Doesn't mean I like it, but that would be the single greatest improvement. It does have nice views though. And good access. Bummer.

Here's some pics from January of the on-site billboard:

img4686bj9.jpg

img4685hn7.jpg

By the way, all the pre-existing posts on this development are in the Bulfinch Triangle thread.

^thanks I knew we were already had a thread on this, still like the other design better!

So where is this project in terms of approval/financing/potential tenants?

It's not awful, but it is just so incredibly boring. This building looks like it belongs in an office park off of Rt. 95

Last edited:

So this is right next to Archstone Avenir correct? Both these projects looks similar to me and I don't really mind either, but I don't have to look at them everyday.

That's a really weak design for such a central location.

Time to coin the term "officeparkification."

Its a shame their useing such valuble land for these lowriser's that suck!

Those smaller buildings on the edge of the parcel aren't being demolished, are they? That would be a damn shame, they're so much nicer than what's there.

can someone please post the earlier design in here?

thanks. so was the material changed from brick to terra cotta?

The earlier design is a lot better. It's nothing amazing, but at least it feels like downtown Boston.

Well, here's hoping that 30 years from now when these buildings are obsolete and unloved something worthy will come along and replace 'em.

Bottom of this page, we see our first glimpse of this proposal. And on the next page, here's what people thought:

Wow, they managed to fuse the worst in dull contextualism with the worst in boxy, unresponsive modernism. A coup de crap.
Wow, it's context is the FleetCent.... I mean Garden? That's not a smart design choice.
It does seem to compare quite unfavorably with the Avenir photos that were just posted.
Wow, that sure is bad.
Someone get a mop, I'm about to puke.

And the hits just keep on coming...

I think I'll coin a new pejorative term, specifically used to describe the present state of run-of-the-mill development in Boston: Drukerism (or Drukeresque, if you prefer).

Back