One Lincoln (State Street Building)

TheRifleman

Banned
Reaction score
I was at a X-MAS party last night with some state street employees. They were all over One Lincoln inside shoddy construction and elevator problems. They started mentioning Suffolk Construction but I was not even sure if they worked on this project. Also a comment about the sign is starting to fall off.
(Could just be a bunch of bitter employees leaving the financial district but who knows)

I actually thought State Street was going to stay in that building I did not realize that they were moving the entire company to the Seaport. They welcomed the move but had grave concerns about the Transit and they are not impressed with the Silver Line bus or the shuttles running from South Station.

Overall it was very interesting. Just curious if anybody else heard of any problems at the State St Building? (One Lincoln)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Lincoln_Street

Those employees are misinformed. State Street is staying in 1 Lincoln. Back office employees currently in the Hancock, 100 Summer Street and Lafayette Corp. Center are moving to the Seaport. Essentially, all employees with be in 1 Lincoln (SSgA, SSgM, execs) and others in Seaport.

Not sure about shoddy construction. I used to work in the building and it was nice. I wouldn't say high end finishings like some newer buildings, but modern.

Those employees are misinformed. State Street is staying in 1 Lincoln. Back office employees currently in the Hancock, 100 Summer Street and Lafayette Corp. Center are moving to the Seaport. Essentially, all employees with be in 1 Lincoln (SSgA, SSgM, execs) and others in Seaport.

Not sure about shoddy construction. I used to work in the building and it was nice. I wouldn't say high end finishings like some newer buildings, but modern.

Thank you for clarfying that. How much square feet does State Street have in the city of Boston?

I am a fan of One Lincoln I think it fits in perfect with the cities fabric. Also I love the top of this small skyscraper (Big for Boston standards) especially the blue lighting rods... Reminds me of a building in Manhattan.

The only problem I had with the elevators are that they are never at the lobby often enough. Other than that I haven't heard about anything.

The low rise portion of the building (overlooking Kingston and Bedford) had hvac issues when it opened, and it took them maybe a year or so to get it corrected. It was too cold in the winter, too warm in the summer. I've never heard of any other issues, but I did notice the slow elevators yesterday.

Employees moving to Seaport are less than thrilled with the small desks and open office plan in the Channel Center building. Each person will have their own desk, but they are less than half the size of current cubicles in the other buildings.

The low rise portion of the building (overlooking Kingston and Bedford) had hvac issues when it opened, and it took them maybe a year or so to get it corrected. It was too cold in the winter, too warm in the summer. I've never heard of any other issues, but I did notice the slow elevators yesterday.

Employees moving to Seaport are less than thrilled with the small desks and open office plan in the Channel Center building. Each person will have their own desk, but they are less than half the size of current cubicles in the other buildings.

I believe this is due to their sitting/standing hybrid cubicles initiative that they are rolling out so you don't have to sit for 8 hours straight while working.

Apparently State Street is looking to move out of One Lincoln to a smaller office which is the opposite of what I expected because when I left the company last fall, we were running out of space to put employees in.

The only reason that this would make sense is if State Street is having trouble kicking out the tenants that they leased to within the building (a mistake that upper management made a few years ago) and as such, the only other option to allow expansion is to move out and find a new building all together.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ory.html?p1=Article_Recommended_ReadMore_Pos1

Apparently State Street is looking to move out of One Lincoln to a smaller office which is the opposite of what I expected because when I left the company last fall, we were running out of space to put employees in.

The only reason that this would make sense is if State Street is having trouble kicking out the tenants that they leased to within the building (a mistake that upper management made a few years ago) and as such, the only other option to allow expansion is to move out and find a new building all together.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ory.html?p1=Article_Recommended_ReadMore_Pos1

SSGA already moved out of One Lincoln and into Channel Center, which displaced a lot of people from there down to Quincy, which had a lot of empty space.

I do not believe it was SSGA that relocated to Channel Center. It was the operational/human resource and I think the custody side of the bank that moved to Channel Center (I was informed that most people came from the Copley office and Quincy offices). That being said, Channel Center is already 100% at capacity (there were intentions to move everyone from Summer Street to CC before they ran out of space) as is One Lincoln (State Street was converting all cubicles to smaller desks to fit more people and got through about 10 floors before they were informed by Lincoln Properties that they were not allowed to convert anymore due to a limit to how many employees they can have in the tower). Former co-worker informed me that the move most likely won't happen until 2023.

wework-signs-deal-for-floors-state-street-longtime-home

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ngtime-home/dP44Rgr1DSjCcRW8W84pQO/story.html

Tim Logan
GLOBE STAFF FEBRUARY 05, 2019

WeWork just keeps getting bigger in Boston.

The co-working giant on Monday confirmed its largest — and highest-profile — expansion yet in Boston, a deal to take over 11 stories at the top of State Street Corp.’s longtime home on Lincoln Street.

The roughly quarter-million-square-foot lease will give WeWork room for 4,000 desks, which it rents by the month to solo workers, startups, and small businesses — and increasingly to larger companies that want a sampler....
contd

Would this amount of space give WeWork naming rights on One Lincoln when State Street moves out in a few years?

From the Globe:

Fast-growing HarbourVest has signed a long-term lease for 11 floors at One Lincoln, the two-decade-old tower at the edge of Chinatown and the Financial District, a few blocks from South Station. As part of the lease agreement, HarbourVest will gain signage rights for the top of the 36-story tower ....

A5BMY4SJS5BQZK5ZUBHL2LIYQ4.jpg

HarbourVest is leasing 250,000 square feet, with a move-in date planned for mid-2025 — nearly double what the firm occupies today at the One Financial Center tower less than two blocks away. HarbourVest has grown its local workforce by 60 percent during the last three years, to roughly 700 people today, and its global workforce just passed 1,000 this summer.

When will they stop with the "this skyscraper will have a veritable forest on all of the balconies!" rendering nonsense. For all of the obvious and oft-repeated reasons (wind, soil depth) it's ridiculous to keep putting forth this lie of foliage-atop-skyscrapers. I've never once seen it happen IRL, and not just in Boston. It's frequently promised and never delivered. Just a strange "feature" to keep putting out there when it cannot and does not happen (not talking about "green walls" -- plenty of examples of those out there).

Last edited:
The fact that they were able to get a $1billion refinancing deal, and will be sinking $200m back into the building for upgrades, seems to suggest that some folks still believe in urban office buildings

Or that some folks still believe in Boston office buildings. Either way, great news for the city!

New Lettering is up. A little harder to read than the State Street lettering, but "comforting" to see the building branded once again.

When will they stop with the "this skyscraper will have a veritable forest on all of the balconies!" rendering nonsense. For all of the obvious and oft-repeated reasons (wind, soil depth) it's ridiculous to keep putting forth this lie of foliage-atop-skyscrapers. I've never once seen it happen IRL, and not just in Boston.

Kind of off topic to this thread but Boston does have an example of this at 1 Federal Street. I noticed a tree in the view of one of my shots of Winthrop Square.

1695135566896.png

https://www.bostonofficespaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/1-Federal-St.jpg

Here's the pic I was alluding to where you can see a tree in the upper right.

Kind of off topic to this thread but Boston does have an example of this at 1 Federal Street. I noticed a tree in the view of one of my shots of Winthrop Square.

View attachment 42827
https://www.bostonofficespaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/1-Federal-St.jpg

Here's the pic I was alluding to where you can see a tree in the upper right.

I was up there a few years ago for a technical conference/summit. It was really nice although a bit breezy. Software vendors were actually set up outside all along the paved path you see in the photos. It wasn't the best lighting for computer screens! So, many of us squeezed inside to the hallway outside the main conference room. I can't quite remember the time of year, but it was probably September or October because the weather was spectacular and neither hot nor cold with bright sunshine. I had never been up there before, and it was quite the "hidden jewel" in the financial district. However, I will add that gardens any higher would probably be too windy to support many trees and plants in Boston.

Attachments

• Boston01.jpg
    Boston01.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Boston02.jpg
    Boston02.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 73
  • Boston03.jpg
    Boston03.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Back