Orange Line's Aging Fleet

KentXie

Reaction score
From Wikipedia:

"The Orange Line is standard gauge heavy rail. The current fleet is the 01200 series, built 1980-1981 by Hawker Siddeley Canada Car and Foundry (now Bombardier Transportation) of Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. They are 65 feet (20 m) long and 111 inches (2.8 m) wide, with three pairs of doors on each side. They are based on the PA3 model used by PATH in New Jersey. There are 120 cars, numbered 01200-01319. These units are expected to remain in service until 2015;[4] replacement cars are expected to go into service in phases from 2013 to 2016.[5] All in-service orange line trains run in six-car configurations."

"In "MBTA CAPITAL INVESTMENT PROGRAM FY07-FY11", It is planing to design the next generation vehicle for orange line. These new car will use element for the Red Line replacement No. 1 Car. It is most likely the new trains will not be able to use with the 1200 series trains made by Hawker Siddeley. As of 2009 train have approaching the 30 years old mark."

Recently, about a half a year ago, I started noticing how the T is always announcing delays on Orange Line caused by disabled trains. In the last two months, I've noticed that I hear the announcement at least once a week. Today, they announced that multiple trains were disabled. The T need to start replacing the Orange Line trains starting in 2010 instead of 2013. They tend to malfunction at the worst time. I remember taking the Orange Line after New Years and the train breaks down at Haymarket full of New Year celebrators. The current stocks are too old.

The OL fleet has done an excellent job. Nearly 30 years of constant operation without a single car being removed from service. That being said, the time has come to retire them. Three decades of wear and tear has done a number, and the cars are just starting to fall apart. Even the floors are starting to crumble away, you can feel soft spots near the doors of some cars.

I hope that whatever replaces them offers better noise insulation. The Mass Ave to Back Bay tunnel is horrible.

I kind of wish the T had combined the Blue and Orange orders as they did thirty years ago. It would be almost trivial to create a modified version of the new Siemens cars that could run on the Orange. Widening the passenger compartment to take advantage of the extra space in the tunnels, and making some adjustments to match the platform heights on the OL would be it really. All of the electronics, motors and truck designs could be reused with minimal modification. This would save a huge amount of time and money.

The T did a pilot program to convert the old Blue Line cars to work on the Orange, but it was abandoned when it became apparent how badly the old Hawker Siddeleys had decayed in the salt air.

Will the stimulus plan pay for this? I know a lot of money for transit will go towards new rolling stock.

Back