P.P.L. - should it move into the old public market building?

should there be a move, or a rennovation?

• move

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • rennovate

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
P

Patrick

Should Portland library acquire the former public market?
E-mail this page Reader Comments (below)
Portland Press Herald Monday, November 20, 2006

Officials of the Portland Public Library think that the former Portland Public Market, just a block away, would make an excellent new facility.
That's no surprise: The market is one of downtown Portland's most attractive indoor spaces.
According to library officials, the former public market space would be ideal for housing the facility's most popular sections -- music, computers, magazines and best-selling books. Acquiring it might let the library close down most of its present location except for some storage and research space, according to a "conceptual plan" submitted to the city earlier this month.
Calling the former market "an ideal spot" and "wonderful space," library director Stephen Podgajny said he hopes to discuss a possible purchase with city councilors soon.
He may have to bring his piggy bank. The public market was listed for sale for $4 million by its broker, even though the plan said its owner offered it to the city for $2.5 million to $3 million.
The library has raised $2.2 million in a capital campaign to renovate its current facility. Another $4 million is available from an as-yet-unspent bond approved by voters for the present plan. City officials say voter approval would be required to apply that bond money to another site.
Even more important, acquisition of the market would mean the city would give up any property tax revenue it would receive from a private sale. That income, which would flow in year after year, would seem badly needed for other city priorities, including school renovations.
Thus, councilors should look closely at the library's new idea -- and bring their calculators along to the meeting.

the site plans for renovation look spectacular. It would add a very distinctive twist to a prominent public landmark, and keep it located in the heart of the city, exactly where public buildings like libraries should be. Not only that but the current building seems much bigger than the ppm. usually we like to think of growth as expansion, not contraction. and, would an open space with no closed areas really be ideal for a library where quiet reading takes place? i say keep the current location and turn the ppm into a convention center or something. oh yeah and build that 15 story high rise behind it where the atm drive through is. its about 15 years overdue as it is.

I agree, Patrick.

The Public Market building was just the right size for a public market, but is way to small and open for a library.

I would like to see the library follow through with it's renovation plans. I remember seeing some pictures of the new facade and entrances.

The public market would be a nice convention center or shopping center like an LL Bean's or something, but a library wouldn't fit.

The library is probably the only thing that will work there. What else can that be? My wife works there so I have heard all the details. The library would still keep a lot of it's old space and perhaps build more between the two buildings. The market part would be for a lot of the non secured books and mags as well as a cafe and perhaps bookstore.

Back