Parcel 12 | 1001 Boylston Street | Back Bay

From some consultants for Peebles and the MBTA, I understand Peebles is still hemorrhaging cash on due diligence/DD at Parcel 13. As for Parcel 15, some city contacts I've spoken with recently—off the record—suspect the Commonwealth is holding off on putting Parcel 15 up for redevelopment until shit plays out and there's a declared winner from Wu's war on the BRA/BPDA. At least Parcel 12 worked out better then expected, plus: Lego!

20240315_123407.jpg
20240315_123359.jpg

I really like how dark the glass is and how much it changes. Sometimes from further away it looks black, the above close up has both dark purple and dark green shades.

I wish Elkus would put more effort into their paneling designs. They introduce so many joints and it often results in square/squat proportions. That last photo of the corner shows off how stack-of-cubes it ends up looking. Works against the tall double-story reading of the windows.

Their Cambridge courthouse renovation has this same problem except they went even wider.

lol, taketern, that's a hilarious snap. I believe the technical term in the design world is "monumental signage," and wow. That is very much not monumental.

Is Car Guru's trying preemptively sabotage themselves here, so as to enter into Chapter 9 and reorganize themselves?

I wish Elkus would put more effort into their paneling designs. They introduce so many joints and it often results in square/squat proportions. That last photo of the corner shows off how stack-of-cubes it ends up looking. Works against the tall double-story reading of the windows.

Their Cambridge courthouse renovation has this same problem except they went even wider.
I kind of agree. I don't have so much a problem with the **number** of joints, but that they're so inconsistent across the facets of David's projects. Some gaps are an inch, others (in the same plane or rise) are 7/8" or even 1.5". I've grumbled often to his design staff, but they keep doing it. I can never surmise if it's bad design, poor project management from the CM (means and methods in the field, maybe with shop drawings lite on details), VE that limit tolerance correction, or some likely combination of all the above. Blergh.

EDIT: I somehow double-quoted Banarama? Fat thumbs, I suppose.

Back