Lyrik Back Bay | 1001 Boylston Street (Parcel 12) | Back Bay

I somewhat like the proposal, even if its architecture isn't that great at all, but the idea of filling up that "no man's land" with a new structure that can bring continuity to the mass av building blocks with new commerce for pedestrians while giving a new dynamic to the area, seems the right approach for that site.

What I find very disappointing is why the project is not bold enough in proposing an exciting well thought out facade facing Mass Av, as opposed to the typical commercial glazing facade solution that only helps to please realtors and all commerce caught up in the "visual" trend......

I somewhat like the proposal, even if its architecture isn't that great at all, but the idea of filling up that "no man's land" with a new structure that can bring continuity to the mass av building blocks with new commerce for pedestrians while giving a new dynamic to the area, seems the right approach for that site.

What I find very disappointing is why the project is not bold enough in proposing an exciting well thought out facade facing Mass Av, as opposed to the typical commercial glazing facade solution that only helps to please realtors and all commerce caught up in the "visual" trend......

Eh, I would take (almost) anything on any of the air rights parcels over the pike. Given the complexity and cost of building on any of the air rights parcels... I'll take whatever I can get.

Eh, I would take (almost) anything on any of the air rights parcels over the pike. Given the complexity and cost of building on any of the air rights parcels... I'll take whatever I can get.

Because I'm well aware of that, I question the design for having that lower portion of the building parallel to Mass av for that green roof solution, as opposed to gaining more stories on that side while providing a higher facade with much more character -and if the project has constrains on Sq Footage vs budget, then compensate it by lowering the 2 towers parallel to the Turnpike

Because I'm well aware of that, I question the design for having that lower portion of the building parallel to Mass av for that green roof solution, as opposed to gaining more stories on that side while providing a higher facade with much more character -and if the project has constrains on Sq Footage vs budget, then compensate it by lowering the 2 towers parallel to the Turnpike

The portion adjacent to Mass Ave is low because it's decked. The height is on solid ground.

The portion adjacent to Mass Ave is low because it's decked. The height is on solid ground.

I'm aware of that too - I never stated the need for the Mass Ave portion to be as high as the towers, but to simply gain few stories in order to have proper facade - that's all ;)

^ Absolutely. Even just one additional floor on the base would be a huge improvement.

I'm aware of that too - I never stated the need for the Mass Ave portion to be as high as the towers, but to simply gain few stories in order to have proper facade - that's all ;)

^ Absolutely. Even just one additional floor on the base would be a huge improvement.

Ah, yeah - didn't understand the initial criticism them. I agree another floor or two would be more fitting here - and one would think more profitable, too. No idea on cost increases per floor over the decking though.

I think the street wall will look just fine as planned. Two towers with space between breaks up what could otherwise be oppressive like a super block. Perhaps a little more height would add more urban-ness, but I don’t think the current plan really detracts. Let’s just hope it passes and doesn’t get cut down to four story towers.

On the ArcGis boston developments map, this thing looks well proportioned from a lot of angles...It adds nice variation in height from the Pru and 1Dalton.
47032696512_deb4ee0fc6_z.jpg

On the ArcGis boston developments map, this thing looks well proportioned from a lot of angles...It adds nice variation in height from the Pru and 1Dalton.
47032696512_deb4ee0fc6_z.jpg

Not to open up old wounds, but damn do I want Charlesgate.

I assume that from the MassDOT presentation, they'll be doing the lane takings to do tunnel upgrades for all three parcels all at once. We'll see what gets said at the next joint meeting. There'll also likely be impacts on commuter rail, but they don't mention how long and when.

Weighing in on the podium, I'm not sure the problem is necessary that it's too short, but rather that the floor-to-ceiling heights make it look short compared to its neighbours. With how deep the floor plates are, this would be a great place for an interior retail court (Boston Public Market, Queens Crossing in Flushing) with lots of smaller stalls breaking up the frontage across Mass Ave and a public area open to the rear of the site over the tracks and highway... but we'll see who eventually signs on.

(Another or possibly relocated) Whole Foods as laid out in Union Square, NY + Amazon pickup facility would work well here and probably kill in this market with all the students and posh folks living in the area.

(Another or possibly relocated) Whole Foods as laid out in Union Square, NY + Amazon pickup facility would work well here and probably kill in this market with all the students and posh folks living in the area.

The Whole Foods at Symphony is a five minute walk from here. I doubt they'd put two Whole Foods a quarter of a mile apart from each other in this area, and I doubt see much sense in moving the Symphony one.

Last edited:

This just became the best project in the city.

Not to push our luck, but it would be great to drop a set of stairs to Ipswich Street, since there will be civic space on the higher level. Would make using Hynes to access Fenway Park really nice (it's my typical route when I go to a game or to Lucky Strike).

Also, it's kind of funny that they made their tallest building a gigantic Green Line signpost.

So gorgeous, kudos to the team on this! Only complaint is the bus shelter is waaay too small.

Back