Parcel 12 | 1001 Boylston Street | Back Bay

I like the logo, it adds some interest to the building and lets passerbys know what the building is about. Boston is full of unmarked, anonymous buildings that are a mystery as to what is in there. At least with a logo you know something. I was in Sydney and was amazed at all the corporate logos on buildings, literally it seemed like every building had a sign on top. That might be too much but Boston is a long way from that.

Coincidentally, a mid-tier architecture enthusiast youtuber released a video a couple weeks ago about building signage. It's focus is mainly on the Trump Tower in Chicago, but speaks generally about the evolution of signage both culturally and about its waning relevance.

And for what it's worth, I think the CarGurus logo is hideous and looks like trash on top of an otherwise inoffensively handsome building.

You are also completely wrong on your notion of subjectivity. If being “ostentatious” is to “flaunt wealth or status” it doesn’t get more objectively ostentatious than putting your logo on the side of a skyscraper. Not exactly understated. Also, it is the very definition of “needless” to hang a sign on the side of tall building because the building literally does not need it.
To spare this thread more meaningless posts I'll just say your logic is flawless and the adjectives you chose are objectively true for everyone.

2-14-2023

A couple of these photos required hopping on top of a jersey barrier, but nothing illegal :)

Exciting to watch this one come together. This area is such a happening area, it's almost impossible to not get some people in your shots. And this project is such a massive improvement from the pedestrian perspective. I also love the smaller footprint of the shorter building (particularly from Mass Ave) and the effect of it kind of floating over the Pike.

20230214_171318.jpg
20230214_171343.jpg
20230214_171408.jpg
20230214_171437.jpg
20230214_171858.jpg
20230214_171906.jpg
20230214_171909.jpg

All kidding aside, I agree it is spectacular. The V-shaped column is incredible, as is the entire development.
I have to admit the V-shaped columns give me the creeps. They violate everything I was taught in structural engineering about long expanses of non-cross-braced columns in load bearing situations.

I have to admit the V-shaped columns give me the creeps. They violate everything I was taught in structural engineering about long expanses of non-cross-braced columns in load bearing situations.

I hear you, but look closer...it's actually an upside down pyramid, rather than V, with cross-bracing at the top. Not only is there 3D convergence at the support point at bottom, but there's also those diagonal members linking the legs at the top. Optics aside, I bet it is quite structurally sound, and a neat design. (so long as they got the buckling analysis right for the straight legs!) If it were a 2D "V" with those sorts of expanses, I'd share your angst.

The 3 leaning columns are in compression, and their slope means that there are outward lateral resultant forces at the top which must get resolved. So the three columns are all tied together with tension elements (beams) at their tops, which makes them sort of an inverted pyramid shape. The columns themselves have very long unbraced lengths, but they do seem to be extremely stocky box sections.

I hear you, but look closer...it's actually an upside down pyramid, rather than V, with cross-bracing at the top. Not only is there 3D convergence at the support point at bottom, but there's also those diagonal members linking the legs at the top. Optics aside, I bet it is quite structurally sound, and a neat design. (so long as they got the buckling analysis right for the straight legs!) If it were a 2D "V" with those sorts of expanses, I'd share your angst.

It's also not supporting a huge portion of the building. Would you feel better if that section were a cantilever? There'd be no visible supports in that case...

270 Park Avenue in NYC gives me the same creeps, on a much grander scale.

Back