Lyrik Back Bay | 1001 Boylston Street (Parcel 12) | Back Bay

Walked by this afternoon and a gentleman making the same markings on the Newbury Street/Mass Pike entrance and grassy median side of the site as when they marked and soil tested on the Boylston St side. Plans in his hand were of the site and I tried to get a close up of them until he noticed me taking photos and I stopped.

With that introduction and the slow zooming photo series, I was hoping the last one was, like, a close up of him winking at you :).

Thanks for posting. (And is the garage on the right-hand side of the first 2 photos a possible/likely site for a future dense/transit-based development?)

With all the development scattered around Boston, almost strange to see a picture where everything in the photo is pretty much what was there for decades. I'm sure The Other Side Cafe is gone, tho.

is this project still happening? i'm confused.

is this project still happening? i'm confused.
Being mythical Air Rights, i join in, not having a clue.
We learned from 2008~19, no one can know,
or believe anything, until steel is rising.
Was the main tower approved @ the full 20 stories/ 330' (roof)
neighborhood supertall height as rendered in the July PDA?

Last edited:

CarGurus is in.

Developer Samuels & Associates said it hopes to start work next spring and open the building in late 2022.

The growing company will lease 275,000 square feet, about two-thirds of the building, holding down a major intersection and putting its name in front of thousands of motorists — potential customers for the online used-car marketplace — every day.
That implies a sign. Let's hope they take the opportunity to change their logo (maybe this is why the building can't be green anymore):

1576761265189.png

CarGurus is in.

That implies a sign. Let's hope they take the opportunity to change their logo (maybe this is why the building can't be green anymore):

View attachment 1934

I'm excited for the much-needed transformation of this portion of Mass Ave that should come with this project. Glad to see it moving forward!

Also, pretty smart idea for CG to lease this space. Amazing advertising opportunity simply via leasing that building!

This is seriously amazing news. Hotel tenant and office tenant. Beautiful buildings and finallyyyyy the street will come to life rather than being windswept.

Assuming this gets shovels in the ground, it's a HUGE win!!

Ugh, I guess I'll take the logo if it means this gets done.

One of the cooler parts of this to me is the elevated nature of the western end of the public plaza. It seems that the retail between the two buildings will in be contiguous underneath where the plaza rises. This "retail opportunity" with its windows overlooking the pike seems at once to be the coolest part of the project (besides the entrance to the T!), and the one most fraught with danger. Specifically, I couldn't see where the entrance to this part of the building is, unless it would be one of the doorways that flank the staircase in the plaza. If that is the case, this space is going to be large, and very weird. I can come up with some guesses as to what would fit there, and I'm hoping that the location will just lend itself to a lot of foot traffic, but I really, really wonder if we are not going to end up with what amounts to a food court, or the Gap.

One of the cooler parts of this to me is the elevated nature of the western end of the public plaza. It seems that the retail between the two buildings will in be contiguous underneath where the plaza rises. This "retail opportunity" with its windows overlooking the pike seems at once to be the coolest part of the project (besides the entrance to the T!), and the one most fraught with danger. Specifically, I couldn't see where the entrance to this part of the building is, unless it would be one of the doorways that flank the staircase in the plaza. If that is the case, this space is going to be large, and very weird. I can come up with some guesses as to what would fit there, and I'm hoping that the location will just lend itself to a lot of foot traffic, but I really, really wonder if we are not going to end up with what amounts to a food court, or the Gap.

Go to slides 8, 9, and 10 of this presentation for an answer to your question.

I bet $100 that 70% of that greenery on page 8 never happens. Either way, so great to see this space finally get developed.

Back