Lyrik Back Bay | 1001 Boylston Street (Parcel 12) | Back Bay

Would the pedestrian underpass be used though? Seems easier to just cross the street. In my experience the underpass at Mass Ave station on the Orange Line is seldom used and people just use the crosswalk.

I honestly didn't even know there was a tunnel there

I honestly didn't even know there was a tunnel there

That street crossing can get hairy when traffic is heavy, and I think the entrance will be used plenty if they make it look enough like a real headhouse. Folks transferring off of SB 1 buses would use it almost universally, I'd imagine.

That street crossing can get hairy when traffic is heavy, and I think the entrance will be used plenty if they make it look enough like a real headhouse. Folks transferring off of SB 1 buses would use it almost universally, I'd imagine.

Indeed, if you've ever transferred to the GL at Hynes from the 1 then you know why a tunnel here would get lots of use.

relocation of the I-90 onramp west down Newbury to narrow/simplify the Mass Ave intersection

Really happy about this. Earlier proposals left the ramp in place, originally decking over it and then just leaving it open, if I recall correctly. Moving it down Newbury always seemed like the obvious best case.

Would the pedestrian underpass be used though? Seems easier to just cross the street. In my experience the underpass at Mass Ave station on the Orange Line is seldom used and people just use the crosswalk.

I use the tunnel at Mass Ave. if the pedestrian light is red and a train is coming. But otherwise I don't, because it requires going back upstairs to the fare gates. That would not be an issue at Hynes, as the station lobby is already bellow grade.

I use the tunnel at Mass Ave. if the pedestrian light is red and a train is coming. But otherwise I don't, because it requires going back upstairs to the fare gates. That would not be an issue at Hynes, as the station lobby is already bellow grade.

Exactly. The tunnel at OL-Mass Ave is not ADA compliant either. This will be.

i would love to have seen a bit more boldness in shaping these Air Rights parcels, and the High Spine. But i suppose it could have been worse..... as i keep trying to convince myself. Then i think of 45 Worthington Street. No 'oh-my-God[ anything allowed but once in a blue moon. Not to mention this is one insanely stodgy town when it comes to building. And that has not changed despite a recent influx of new blood.

The nimby's always say, "we can't build tall buildings because we have no good rail transit.... and 'think of the children."

To which i reply, "we have no good transit because we don't build tall.... and if anyone's asking and their not, these are my reasons we haven't much good transit."

1. Underbuilding,
2. We kind of suck.
3. The United States plan to run an empire all over the world is just about over (crumbling, after we rebuilt most of the world).... This is why shit costs way more than the taxes and society's will to produce tunnels, and infrastructure and stuff.
4. Cities and towns in greater Boston are not paying their 'fare' share, and haven't been for the last 5 decades.
5. The management and labor structure of the MBTA with it's concentrations of disciplines including but not limited to running rail transit, corruption and graft.
6. Why is it they can build amazing public transportation in some parts of the world, but not in Boston? Because Burlington Northern ain't walking thru that door.

Last edited:
i would love to have seen a bit more boldness in shaping these Air Rights parcels, and the High Spine. But i suppose it could have been worse..... as i keep trying to convince myself. Then i think of 45 Worthington Street. No 'oh-my-God[ anything allowed but once in a blue moon. Not to mention this is one insanely stodgy town when it comes to building. And that has not changed despite a recent influx of new blood.

The nimby's always say, "we can't build tall buildings because we have no good rail transit.... and 'think of the children."

To which i reply, "we have no good transit because we don't build tall.... and if anyone's asking and their not, these are my reasons we haven't much good transit."

1. Underbuilding,
2. We kind of suck.
3. The United States plan to run an empire all over the world is just about over (crumbling, after we rebuilt most of the world).... This is why shit costs way more than the taxes and society's will to produce tunnels, and infrastructure and stuff.
4. Cities and towns in greater Boston are not paying their 'fare' share, and haven't been for the last 5 decades.
5. The management and labor structure of the MBTA with it's concentrations of disciplines including but not limited to running rail transit, corruption and graft.
6. Why is it they can build amazing public transportation in some parts of the world, but not in Boston? Because Burlington Northern ain't walking thru that door.

Can you please not do that?

Thanks,
Everyone

You might in fact, be right. But the tail wags the dog.

i could have followed up with the part about 'and it will only take 13 years to build,'

but i thought that would be extra snarky.

i'm not apologizing. Simply the lack of boldness leaves a bitter aftertaste.

i do believe Boston is moving forward in many ways, sideways in other ways,

and in some ways falling behind; and showing signs of foundational cracking.

For every good thing we're doing, there's another not good thing (like Kenmore North).

*taken a few days ago heading east out of Flagstaff with the San Francisco Peaks in the background.

Last edited:
This is wonderful. The people talkin bout height I can understand cuz for air rights usually theres a lot more costs. That being said though I like how it tapers away from 1 Dalton. Street level looks good too.

1000 Boylston really looks great now even though its shorter getting rid of the balconies really helps show its incredible angles.
5dnytKMh.png

From anti-suicide fence to this is as good as it gets, I like the facade of the tower too and look at that few floors at the bottom looks like a lot going on.
CiIzP8fh.jpg

Going from an anti-suicide fence and the pike to this is amazing.
Q7FKvp3h.jpg

This is how this area always should have been. The pru and pru mall are the hub of the city, but with gaps in the street level all around and highway noise along with fences really made that side of it an area you just pass through quick. Its now going to be a hub like it should have all along. Highway noise is going to drastically decrease which is a huuuuuge improvement. The pic above went from suicide fence for a view with a bus stop to two high rises and great ground level. I like how theres only a small gap next to it to get onto the pike now.

Last edited:
Oh helll yes I just realized 1000 Boylston blocks 888 Boylston from the pike. Plus its another substantial tower in view. Badass.

I didnt know about this, dont like it either. I like the view coming in on the pike. The tunnels should start at parcel 12.

utBjKKCh.jpg

Last edited:
Just noticed in the aerial renders that there is a substantial cantilevered portion of the lower tower over the pike. Hopefully well executed, it would become a nice "Welcome to Boston" symbol/gateway as you enter the tunnel.

Not if parcel 9, 10, 11 are buit.

Notice the pike onramp is changed now too. It now diverts off Newbbury st instead of its own ramp that went around the bottom side of the mbta vent. Theyll just have to have no more parking on that stretch of Newbury because you have to get up to highway speed.

G6kn1MTh.png

Last edited:
Not if parcel 9, 10, 11 are buit.

Maybe I'm pessimistic but I really don't think anything will ever be built on those parcels. There is very little in them that isn't highway or MBTA track. Parcel 10 would be almost impossible with charlesgate in the way and over the river.

Nope, but this project is one everybody should be genuinely excited about... filling in the huge hole in the streetwall is going to be great. It's also an area that I get very nervous about on bike, and I think obstructing the highway view might also make drivers unconsciously slow down a little bit by subliminally saying "this is still a dense city block, no highway nearby".

Edit - somehow I missed that there's a cycle track for the Boylston stretch... yeah, this is awesome.

Back