Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

393b40

Reaction score
I was driving inbound on the Pike a few days ago and noticed steal was installed over the tracks.

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
I think they shut down the CR for 2 days to install it at some point in the last week or two.
Yep, weekend shutdowns through December to install the decking over the commuter rail, then overnight rolling roadblocks on the Pike to install the decking on the Pike.

stefal

Reaction score
Yep, weekend shutdowns through December to install the decking over the commuter rail, then overnight rolling roadblocks on the Pike to install the decking on the Pike.
Does the T charge the contractor/developer for the shutdowns? I imagine those plus the rolling roadblocks can add some substantial cost to an already complicated build, something I didn't consider before...

Camberville

Reaction score
Amazing. How will the decking over the actual pike work? Will they actually close the road?

JumboBuc

Reaction score
Amazing. How will the decking over the actual pike work? Will they actually close the road?
Yup, overnight rolling roadblocks, starting in just a couple weekends. They did these earlier in the project too.
If everything goes according to schedule the decks should be complete by St Patrick's Day.

Czervik.Construction

Reaction score
I saw the small amount of decking that is in place in person, coming in on the Pike this week and to my untrained eye, the decking looks awfully thin to put a building on top of, IMO. Unless the span over the tracks is narrow or what is above this section is going to be a park/green space.

stefal

Reaction score
I saw the small amount of decking that is in place in person, coming in on the Pike this week and to my untrained eye, the decking looks awfully thin to put a building on top of, IMO. Unless the span over the tracks is narrow or what is above this section is going to be a park/green space.
It looks like there are cutouts and bump-outs on the concrete wall for larger beams that haven't been placed yet, though I can't say for sure.

stefal

Reaction score
This site is probably one of the most fun to watch at this phase. After the decking is up though, it's essentially going to look like every other project.