Lyrik Back Bay | 1001 Boylston Street (Parcel 12) | Back Bay

Exactly. Thats why I dont really care that sephora is in that new fanuel hall building, because the building is whats permanent not the tenant and its a nice building. Would make a nice restaurant or beer garden some day.

Exactly. Thats why I dont really care that sephora is in that new fanuel hall building, because the building is whats permanent not the tenant and its a nice building. Would make a nice restaurant or beer garden some day.
Oh damn, I hope so. That thing is such a dud. I feel like they'd need to do a pretty extensive overhaul to make it more transparent though. It's all glass but with an opaque backing, so like... What's the point of the glass anyway?

But those buildings, say two residents of the 360 Newbury Street condo building across the street, will block views and sunlight, generate intense winds, and worsen conditions for pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers on a key city thoroughfare. Those impacts, they claim, were not properly restudied after Samuels made changes to the project midway through city review, as developers of large projects in Boston often do. The neighbors were joined in a lawsuit challenging the project by the nearby Eliot Hotel, which worries that relocating a turnpike on-ramp for the project could hamper delivery truck access. The hotel’s attorney said it “could force this almost century-old institution to shutter its doors.” It has asked a Suffolk County judge to halt construction while the suit is considered.
Please. What a joke.

I hope this case gets thrown out, but not before the plaintiffs run up a nice hefty legal bill for themselves.

Please. What a joke.

I hope this case gets thrown out, but not before the plaintiffs run up a nice hefty legal bill for themselves.
I hope they are aware that work to shift the turnpike on ramp is literally starting tonight: https://www.buildp12.com/construction-updates-blog/weekend-on-ramp-closure-mass-ave-newbury-street

Neighbors say the buildings will "worsen conditions for pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers on a key city thoroughfare."

Hahahaaaaaaaaaa haha ha..... Haha

Oh yea its great as is for pedestrians and cyclists. Do these idiots realize that as neighbors covering a gash and active highway will automatically make their properties worth idk 25% more day 1 and turn the area into a much quieter and pleasant throughfare. FOH.

They need to be counter sued. I swear if they torpedo this project after its somehow moving forward mid pandemic these ppl need to be ran out of town.

-- last point. This is a MAJOR improvement for the entire city as a whole. Just because theyre neighbors doesnt mean they get to f up boylston st and newbury for everyone else. This is for everybody not just idiot "neighbors" who live next to the damn pru. This friggin city.. I swear.

Last edited:
They need to be counter sued. I swear if they torpedo this project after its somehow moving forward mid pandemic these ppl need to be ran out of town.

-- last point. This is a MAJOR improvement for the entire city as a whole. Just because theyre neighbors doesnt mean they get to f up boylston st and newbury for everyone else. This is for everybody not just idiot "neighbors" who live next to the damn pru. This friggin city.. I swear.

I think it bigger than just running them out with pitchforks. There’s a bigger ideology here in Boston with NIMBYism that has been the norm for decades. Some people that it started with Menino. He didn’t help matters any but this thinking goes back to Louise Day Hicks. She was the ultimate NIMBY.

It’s not as simple as defeating them with force. We must get to the root cause of what has and will continue to be a cancer on the city. When we go to other cities, they might have NIMBY opposition, but ours is a provincial type of thinking that boggles the mind.

We’re not talking about black and brown folk in Mattapan. These are wealthy status-seeking whites who not only have clout, but are judge, jury, and executioner to these projects so long as the check clears.

Civil Rights and income inequality are hot button issues leading into November, but I feel that whilst the issue has been slightly touched upon outside of the friendly aB confines, I feel that leaders of the Black Lives Movement missed a golden opportunity to address Boston NIMBYS to their faces. Because it’s a racial issue overall. The Parcel 12 issue might not be, but the cancer of Boston NIMBYism is a racial issue overall. Because it’s not just about missed economic development in the Hub.

The media also have to take responsibility for giving these old bat NIMBY fucks the media attention. Portraying them as poor, suffering, taxpayers who just don’t want project x going into their neighborhood because of traffic concerns. Let’s start calling them out for what they truly are. Spoiled, selfish, adults who have caused more gentrification and more traffic in the city than ever before.

Oh, I’m sure that there will be some pearl clutching. They’ll call us every name in the book. Who cares? Fuck their feelings. They get to move the goalposts and cry foul. An amalgamation of strong organization and reason can defeat almost any bad idea. NIMBYism is a bad idea that needs to be defeated once and for all. No excuses.

Marty has been slow to come around on the social issues, but he’s been trying. As far as development is concerned, he’s been low key great for taking on these ivory tower creatures. But someone needs to get up there and actively point out these people for signaling their virtue. Because that’s what NIMBYism is. Virtue signaling for old, wealthy, Caucasian types. Just my take.

Boston has been on a stellar track so far in terms of development. Let’s not allow these people to set it all back 10-20 years.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think the globe just wants to put.out an article.

It seems far too late to stop this project. Like Stick said, the highway ramp change literally starts tonight. What's going to even come out of this?

It seems far too late to stop this project. Like Stick said, the highway ramp change literally starts tonight. What's going to even come out of this?

Like many a Nimby, they want to use their God given right to be a David fighting "against" a Goliath.

Even when the shovels have started on a project, some elitist, provincial snot can still stop it all in court. I was project manager on a small road project which would detour a flood damaged riverside road into the adjacent forest. The construction contract had been awarded and begun, but someone got a court injunction to stop it, and we had to terminate the contract. We went back to the drawing boards and addressed the complaint with a redesign, which greatly reduced the footprint of the road through the woods. It did end up getting built, but injunctions definitely can happen after construction starts.

In this case the Goliath is the 40 year gap since the last successful air rights project. The NIMBY's are the ones fighting against David. They should be ashamed of themselves.

This. We’re the David in this argument. Someone on here needs to go to these meetings and call these people out. Sadly we all have jobs so most of us cannot.

I think it bigger than just running them out with pitchforks. There’s a bigger ideology here in Boston with NIMBYism that has been the norm for decades. Some people that it started with Menino. He didn’t help matters any but this thinking goes back to Louise Day Hicks. She was the ultimate NIMBY.

It’s not as simple as defeating them with force. We must get to the root cause of what has and will continue to be a cancer on the city. When we go to other cities, they might have NIMBY opposition, but ours is a provincial type of thinking that boggles the mind.

We’re not talking about black and brown folk in Mattapan. These are wealthy status-seeking whites who not only have clout, but are judge, jury, and executioner to these projects so long as the check clears.

Civil Rights and income inequality are hot button issues leading into November, but I feel that whilst the issue has been slightly touched upon outside of the friendly aB confines, I feel that leaders of the Black Lives Movement missed a golden opportunity to address Boston NIMBYS to their faces. Because it’s a racial issue overall. The Parcel 12 issue might not be, but the cancer of Boston NIMBYism is a racial issue overall. Because it’s not just about missed economic development in the Hub.

The media also have to take responsibility for giving these old bat NIMBY fucks the media attention. Portraying them as poor, suffering, taxpayers who just don’t want project x going into their neighborhood because of traffic concerns. Let’s start calling them out for what they truly are. Spoiled, selfish, adults who have caused more gentrification and more traffic in the city than ever before.

Oh, I’m sure that there will be some pearl clutching. They’ll call us every name in the book. Who cares? Fuck their feelings. They get to move the goalposts and cry foul. An amalgamation of strong organization and reason can defeat almost any bad idea. NIMBYism is a bad idea that needs to be defeated once and for all. No excuses.

Marty has been slow to come around on the social issues, but he’s been trying. As far as development is concerned, he’s been low key great for taking on these ivory tower creatures. But someone needs to get up there and actively point out these people for signaling their virtue. Because that’s what NIMBYism is. Virtue signaling for old, wealthy, Caucasian types. Just my take.

Boston has been on a stellar track so far in terms of development. Let’s not all these people to set it all back 10-20 years.

By the way, SOME of the plaintiffs are actually NAMED - - i.e. the Eliot Hotel. Their publicly available contact information on their website is:

370 Commonwealth Avenue Boston, MA 02215
Phone: (617) 267-1607 | Toll-Free: (800) 44-ELIOT
Fax: (617) 536-9114 | Email: email@eliothotel.com

I, for one, have already decided never to stay there or to eat at their restaurant, UNI, until there is new management/ownership. I will also actively encourage everyone I am in contact with (especially those family members who are in the tourism management business) never to patronize that hotel.

Actions have consequences, Eliot Hotel. It's a very delicate economic time for the hotel industry. You should cease and desist from this frivolous lawsuit. Note to the wise - - EVERYONE has an economic weak spot. This project is beneficial to the CIVIC GOOD of Boston.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think the globe just wants to put.out an article.

Precisely. As Samuels notes in the Globe article, these very same neighbors have made these very same arguments at various stages of the approval project and their arguments were rejected. Eliot hotel may be raising a new issue with respect to its loading docks,, but the hotel is just piggybacking.

I am not a Massachusetts lawyer, but it seems that plaintiffs are seeking an injunction to stop construction. and they, under Massachusetts law, may be required to post a surety bond to cover damages to defendant (Samuels) if the plaintiffs are unsuccessful in their claim. This could be very expensive.

By the way, SOME of the plaintiffs are actually NAMED - - i.e. the Eliot Hotel. Their publicly available contact information on their website is:

370 Commonwealth Avenue Boston, MA 02215
Phone: (617) 267-1607 | Toll-Free: (800) 44-ELIOT
Fax: (617) 536-9114 | Email: email@eliothotel.com

I, for one, have already decided never to stay there or to eat at their restaurant, UNI, until there is new management/ownership. I will also actively encourage everyone I am in contact with (especially those family members who are in the tourism management business) never to patronize that hotel.

Actions have consequences, Eliot Hotel. It's a very delicate economic time for the hotel industry. You should cease and desist from this frivolous lawsuit. Note to the wise - - EVERYONE has an economic weak spot. This project is beneficial to the CIVIC GOOD of Boston.
The Eliot hotel's issue is perceived loss of access to its loading docks. It is suing to ensure it doesn't lose that access.

The Eliot hotel's issue is perceived loss of access to its loading docks. It is suing to ensure it doesn't lose that access.
I don't know the layout of the dock in relation to the project, but it seems something minor like that could be mitigated.

Back