Lyrik Back Bay | 1001 Boylston Street (Parcel 12) | Back Bay

So then the question that begs an answer is simply: Why did the Eliot join and support the condo owners more-overarching lawsuit? Seems unethical and immoral if their beef has nothing to do with the condo owners’ baseless main issues.

THAT is the part that is Shameless. File your own lawsuit pertaining to your direct issue. What the Eliot did is just cheap legal exploitation to glam onto a completely different argument. And, yes, that directly is against the common good.

The consumer/local citizens have a voice and wallets too. We/they can remember which business is a good citizen and which isn’t.
If you provide me with the actual court filings, then we can see who the parties are. No one on this forum has apparently seen these filings because the names of the several condo owners have not been identified.

The Hotel Eliot undoubtedly retains the services of a Boston law firm to represent it in legal matters. It would be highly unlikely and probably unethical that the hotel's law firm would also represent the condo owners, because the condo owners interests in this matter are fundamentally different than those of the Eliot hotel.

Indeed, its possible the respondent (civil law term) in this case is the city of Boston. As I understand the condo owner's claims, the city improperly approved this project, blah, blah. Samuels took those approvals and permits and began construction. He is not at fault. Samuels could petition the court to enter the case as an intervening party, because of the financial stake, and side with the city.

In the case of the Hotel Eliot, it may be that Samuels and his contractor are the respondents. To me, the Hotel Eliot is a short-term access issue. Samuels' project, as built, is not taking any public land on Newbury St.

The two cases were likely combined by the court into a single calendar. That avoids having two different judges hearing and adjudicating on two separate petitions (the condo owners' and the hotel's) related to the same project and both apparently seeking injunctive relief. The judge, after hearing arguments, could readily sever the two claims. IMO, the Hotel Eliot's claim will be settled before that point.

looks like construction is continuing for the time being, though, right? a big orange thing just appeared...

Unless the court issues the injunction to halt construction, Samuels has no reason to stop except an over-abundance of caution.

Separate question: is the Mass Ave west-side Green Line entrance going to reopen as part of this project? Or is it staying sealed up?

Separate question: is the Mass Ave west-side Green Line entrance going to reopen as part of this project? Or is it staying sealed up?

I saw a plan somewhere that had a dashed line indicating a west-side Mass Ave entrance/connection to GL.

One of the latest renderings also includes what looks like a headhouse entrance.
1601737491893.png

Wish Viola was going forward now and the Hynes stop renovation would be in full swing with all these projects at the same time.

Edit: I haven't seen the website posted here. buildp12.com - provides general info and detailed bi-weekly construction updates.
They also indicate on the website there will be a new headhouse on the west side of Mass Ave.

Last edited:
Aside from the lawsuit which doesn't seem to be stopping construction, what is the timeline for this project?

Aside from the lawsuit which doesn't seem to be stopping construction, what is the timeline for this project?
I don't believe that there is a lawsuit impacting Parcel 12 (I could have missed it?) The big lawsuit in the area is about Parcel 15, an independent development with totally different development parties.

I don't believe that there is a lawsuit impacting Parcel 12 (I could have missed it?) The big lawsuit in the area is about Parcel 15, an independent development with totally different development parties.

Per the last few pages of this thread, there's a last-ditch NIMBY lawsuit against Parcel 12 (joined by the Eliot Hotel's concerns for their loading dock access during construction...). I believe that's what Suffolk was referring to. Not the recriminations from the Parcel 15 unwinding.

I know I keep saying this about a lot of projects.. but this one right here will be a defining moment for this whole area. It will be a great 'end' of the Back Bay from a pedestrian standpoint. Its classy, its massive, its filling a much-needed void too. I commend the development team behind this project.

I know I keep saying this about a lot of projects.. but this one right here will be a defining moment for this whole area. It will be a great 'end' of the Back Bay from a pedestrian standpoint. Its classy, its massive, its filling a much-needed void too. I commend the development team behind this project.

Agreed. I'm looking forward to the completion of this project more than perhaps any other single project in the city right now.

If this, the Viola and parcel 15 all got done (long shot) it would be a whole new square in the city, and a major one. And one built from nothing that didnt raze anything but rather sew old wounds.... it would be crazy good for the city. If only...

If this, the Viola and parcel 15 all got done (long shot) it would be a whole new square in the city, and a major one. And one built from nothing that didnt raze anything but rather sew old wounds.... it would be crazy good for the city. If only...
"But think of all the wind tunnels, shadows, and deadly reflective glare!!!" - shouted over the blare of the pike

"But think of all the wind tunnels, shadows, and deadly reflective glare!!!" - shouted over the blare of the pike
I'm sure there were some who absolutely said this but all the projects I mentioned got full approvals. 15 and Viola are on the developers at this point. (15 might be caught up in some politcal shannigans IMO, are Baker and Steve Samuels buddies?)

Speaking of parcel 15... What's the deal with Cambria Street, anyways? What purpose does it serve, beyond as a glorified driveway to a second garage entrance and Hynes loading docks, and why does it need preserved? (I believe there's another loading dock above it on Dalton) it's not fire access to the garage, if they were ok with bridging the now cancelled tower over it. Surely BTD, BPDA and the MCCA can cut a deal with whatever developer to share loading dock space and access to Hynes, relocate the garage entrance in exchange for rights to the Cambria RoW? I'd think the increased ground area would make life easier and more profitable regardless, and the city could get a nice payoff.

Edit: further research has shown that there are in fact 14 loading docks down there, accessed from Cambria Street and The Pru's service yard. While it may be possible, it may not be prudent to rely on only one entrance.
Hynes_Loading_Docks_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of parcel 15... What's the deal with Cambria Street, anyways? What purpose does it serve, beyond as a glorified driveway to a second garage entrance and Hynes loading docks, and why does it need preserved? (I believe there's another loading dock above it on Dalton) it's not fire access to the garage, if they were ok with bridging the now cancelled tower over it. Surely BTD, BPDA and the MCCA can cut a deal with whatever developer to share loading dock space and access to Hynes, relocate the garage entrance in exchange for rights to the Cambria RoW? I'd think the increased ground area would make life easier and more profitable regardless, and the city could get a nice payoff.

Edit: further research has shown that there are in fact 14 loading docks down there, accessed from Cambria Street and The Pru's service yard. While it may be possible, it may not be prudent to rely on only one entrance. View attachment 7619
I would guess it really depends on what the Hynes becomes. That loading dock access was pretty critical to the site, and out of the way of traffic.

Noticed something silly in the Elkus renderings... If you look at the big one on-site, or in the one that's listed above, they used CHICAGO stops on the bus shelter rendering. Come on guys!! :cool:

Back