Lyrik Back Bay | 1001 Boylston Street (Parcel 12) | Back Bay

30018952-9001-4734-9049-E4771DAE2916.jpeg

From today.

For some reason, I hadn't really thought of how much this building would cover the Pike, but seeing the footings installed in the median really brought it home for me. This isn't visible at all from any perspective on Mass Ave or even Boylston St, so this really took me by surprise when we were walking up Ipswich St from Fenway Park.

2021-03-07 15.40.53.jpg
2021-03-07 15.41.03.jpg

Love it. Imagine how different that entire area will be with only this project. If the other two holes/air rights projects could actually happen it would be positively transformative for the area.

According to the construction website the onramp shift is scheduled for the end of this month, at which point the construction will move from the median to the sides of I90 and presumably we'll start seeing some real action on that portion with the brick building.

Crazy that this project's highway work looks to be lining up perfectly -- from start to finish -- with the COVID-induced traffic decreases. The plan is for lane closures to end this summer and the deck to be complete by the end of the year, and Pike commuters will probably have hardly even noticed.

Crazy that this project's highway work looks to be lining up perfectly -- from start to finish -- with the COVID-induced traffic decreases. The plan is for lane closures to end this summer and the deck to be complete by the end of the year, and Pike commuters will probably have hardly even noticed.

That's how I'm feeling for South Station - commuters are going to come back to a half-decked and half-torn-apart South Station and not know what's going on. They're lucky they started when they did...

From today.

For some reason, I hadn't really thought of how much this building would cover the Pike, but seeing the footings installed in the median really brought it home for me. This isn't visible at all from any perspective on Mass Ave or even Boylston St, so this really took me by surprise when we were walking up Ipswich St from Fenway Park.

View attachment 10928View attachment 10929

I never thought a wall would bring me this much joy...

Was the development of the curvy building in the lower left of this shot also suspended?

1616337275747.png

Was the development of the curvy building in the lower left of this shot also suspended?

View attachment 11371
Kinda, that's Parcel 13 it has a LOI filed in pre-COVID 2020 and nothing else. It's a very challenging site with very little usable land area and since it's within the Back Bay Architectural district it will be held to much higher standards and kept to much lower heights than 12/15.

Kinda, that's Parcel 13 it has a LOI filed in pre-COVID 2020 and nothing else. It's a very challenging site with very little usable land area and since it's within the Back Bay Architectural district it will be held to much higher standards and kept to much lower heights than 12/15.

I believe it's also tied to the MBTA's accessibility improvements at Hynes, which would get two new headhouses in addition to the one in Parcel 12.

But really, no one knows what's going on with Peebles.

Yup feb 7 2020 https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/...notifies-city-officials-of-plan-to-build.html
Covid “hit” 1 month later.

There also was some news that they wanted to add height to the mass ave side of the building, which makes sense seeing that its a low rise air rights parcel, who knows if that will be enough. That being said it is a pretty long parcel so its more of a landscraper, so it may basically even out to a mid rise laid down on its side. Hopefully this year we get some news (positive) about the site.

Yup feb 7 2020 https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/...notifies-city-officials-of-plan-to-build.html
Covid “hit” 1 month later.

There also was some news that they wanted to add height to the mass ave side of the building, which makes sense seeing that its a low rise air rights parcel, who knows if that will be enough. That being said it is a pretty long parcel so its more of a landscraper, so it may basically even out to a mid rise laid down on its side. Hopefully this year we get some news (positive) about the site.

While I am an inveterate opponent of all things landscraper, I'm really rooting for THIS one because of the T passenger pedestrian tunnels/access they had in this thing that would make human traffic flow a lot easier for folks at that station.

Last edited:
Plus anything to plug up those 2 awful holes that look down on the Pike/ tracks from alternate sides of Boylston. I was hoping that parcels 13 & 14/15(?) would've been built before 12, as cool as this one will be.

Façade samplers for this are going up behind Tasty Burger on Boylston (the steelwork has been up for weeks, but they started hanging the panels today). I think we can take this as confirmation that the earlier-rendered green panels are out, and the white panels are here to stay. (n)

IMG_5115.jpg

Slight tangent, but... Whoa! I must be super-out-of-the-loop, this is Exit 133 now? How long has that been the case? I knew they were planning on changing to mileage-based signs, but I thought they'd have "OLD EXIT XX" up on the signs to smooth the transition, and I thought it was going to be a long time before the changes actually took place. Either way, bravo to MDOT.

Slight tangent, but... Whoa! I must be super-out-of-the-loop, this is Exit 133 now? How long has that been the case? I knew they were planning on changing to mileage-based signs, but I thought they'd have "OLD EXIT XX" up on the signs to smooth the transition, and I thought it was going to be a long time before the changes actually took place. Either way, bravo to MDOT.

MassDOT does have "Old Exit XX" signage up - you can see it right under the main sign (though the number is blocked by a light pole). They finished the Turnpike last summer, I think.

Back