Lyrik Back Bay | 1001 Boylston Street (Parcel 12) | Back Bay

If folks succeed in decking most of the trench, it seems there’s got to be a ventilation system. I don’t think I have seen any provisions for one in any of the proposals or Pike documents.
I think even this small portion will have some form of ventilation based on this is one of the construction updates:

Crews work on installing electrical equipment for the tunnel mechanical systems, including lighting and fire-fighting/ventilation equipment, where the project’s deck will eventually be built over the Turnpike.

Going vertical... side note the 3rd floor of TJ's is no longer a good photo spot as they wrapped the windows
J
20211224_123933.jpg

A different angle of the last few beams going in over the commuter rail

Interesting how they are going to put the slabs over the Pike. To my knowledge they haven't announced any closures on the Pike.

Rough timeline is up on the project site... they do given excellent detailed information about progress and plans on a weekly basis when its available: https://www.buildp12.com/construction-updates

Seriously of the best updated projects in the area for timeline information straight from the developer.

Assuming this project turns out well (financially and otherwise) what are the odds it turns out to be a catalyst for several more air rights projects in the city?

Assuming this project turns out well (financially and otherwise) what are the odds it turns out to be a catalyst for several more air rights projects in the city?

I would hope it would be a combo of this one plus the one by Fenway that paves the way for more. Really hope at least we get the parcel across from this built (the strange s shape hotel thing), it would have the most impact I think in knitting this area back together.

I wonder what all the people who were against Columbus Center think all these years later…. Thank god we saved that exposed highway.

Yea its kind of weird because its not like Boston hasnt already had great success in previously capping the highway in this exact spot before. The pru complex has been wildly successful in covering a massive gash right through the 2nd (after beacon hill) most prestigious neighborhood in the city.

From open air rail yards, then massive highway with spiraling on/off ramps, to a pretty seamlessly integrated back bay and south end/bay village. All of this done multiple decades ago with lots of time to watch just how successful it has remained and even gotten better with time and for construction proccesses to advance, yet until now nobody would even come remotely close to repeating any of that success. If it had never been done before thats one thing, but its been a massive success, yet nothing until now.

Better late than never, but damn.

Technically, the Pru complex was constructed nearly concurrently with the Pike. Copley Square was built much later over the ramps. Not much of consequence has been built over the main traffic lanes until now.

I'm still kind of amazed that this is actually happening (along with air rights projects at Kenmore/Fenway and South Station). My guess is that these projects will indeed kick start a bit more serious effort, hopefully transforming the Pike neighborhoods over the next 10-15 years.

I'm speculating here and if someone has more information please correct, but I imagine a huge part of the holdup with air rights projects is the unknown from the state. How much to price the air rights, how to coordinate the construction schedule, and/or will the state even approve it. Hopefully these projects give a foundation and some precedent to air rights projects and show the state that these projects can actually be viable.

I'm speculating here and if someone has more information please correct, but I imagine a huge part of the holdup with air rights projects is the unknown from the state. How much to price the air rights, how to coordinate the construction schedule, and/or will the state even approve it. Hopefully these projects give a foundation and some precedent to air rights projects and show the state that these projects can actually be viable.
There have been more air rights sold and projects approved than air rights projects actually built (see, Viola, Parcel 15, Red Sox air rights ownership behind Lansdowne, etc.). I’m actually optimistic that regulatory / Commonwealth issues aren’t what impedes air rights projects. Rather, it’s the many legitimate logistical and economic constraints of building above a highway.

But yeah, hopefully success here and at Fenway Center will give others the confidence to move forward on other sites.

Exactly. Read the Fenway Center thread; it's all financing. The Commonwealth has been continually supportive.

Back