Lyrik Back Bay | 1001 Boylston Street (Parcel 12) | Back Bay

In the past there had been discussion in this thread about what to call the intersection of Boylston St and Mass Ave if/when Parcels 12, 13, and 15 were all developed.

But apparently it's already named Newcomb Square, which I was completely unaware of until I happened to notice it on OpenStreetMap:
newcomb square.PNG

In the past there had been discussion in this thread about what to call the intersection of Boylston St and Mass Ave if/when Parcels 12, 13, and 15 were all developed.

But apparently it's already named Newcomb Square, which I was completely unaware of until I happened to notice it on OpenStreetMap:
View attachment 22278

In this vein--i.e., the placemaking context as a new Pike-spanning neighborhood/community emerges here in the Back Bay--for years, this abandoned MBTA Hynes stop headhouse has just sat here, begging to be transformed into a giant gaudy flamboyant mural--such a wasted, unused canvas crying to be made into a big ole' piece of public art. I hope the developer, MBTA, Berklee, various other interested community stakeholders can come together to make that happen*

*on the understanding that headhouse is never ever ever going to be reopened to the public, of course.

In this vein--i.e., the placemaking context as a new Pike-spanning neighborhood/community emerges here in the Back Bay--for years, this abandoned MBTA Hynes stop headhouse has just sat here, begging to be transformed into a giant gaudy flamboyant mural--such a wasted, unused canvas crying to be made into a big ole' piece of public art. I hope the developer, MBTA, Berklee, various other interested community stakeholders can come together to make that happen*

*on the understanding that headhouse is never ever ever going to be reopened to the public, of course.

I was under the impression that the disused Boylston Street headhouse would be reopened as part of the Parcel 13/Viola project. Anybody able to confirm whether this is true or not?

Last I saw, yes.

So, if that project falls through... presumably the abandoned headhouse stays neglected for decades more, an extremely conspicuous blight on the neighborhood. Hmm.... seems like a back-up plan is needed.

So, if that project falls through... presumably the abandoned headhouse stays neglected for decades more, an extremely conspicuous blight on the neighborhood. Hmm.... seems like a back-up plan is needed.

I'm willing to bet the site plan is converted to a lab and resubmitted within the next two years.

I'm willing to bet the site plan is converted to a lab and resubmitted within the next two years.
I seriously doubt they would put lab space there- it is totally out of place and context. But the Viola is certainly viable as hotel/condo/office/retail still. It could be all 4 at its current design and would do just fine. It doesn't need to, nor should it be, super high-end like 4 Seasons or Raffles but something closer to a mid-level is definitely needed and would be perfect there.

One of the coolest thing I've seen on this site, decking over the pike! Does anyone know what the monitor looking boxes are near the top of the walls?

One of the coolest thing I've seen on this site, decking over the pike! Does anyone know what the monitor looking boxes are near the top of the walls?
Support beams for the 2 story retail cantilivered over the deck (???)

They look like lights for the extended tunnel. A couple of them even appear to be turned on in the pics.

-I went an looked at the render for the project and surprisingly they actually rendered them in.
6F0FF12F-E18F-49F4-8C9E-FDA1F0DF856E.jpeg

Last edited:
With the construction at Parcel 12 and Boylston Place the city needs to reimagine this stretch of Boylston. They need to make it look and feel like a gateway or promenade connecting Back Bay and Fenway. Right now it looks and feels like an auto-centric no-man's land cutting off Fenway from Back Bay. It needs a redesign that decreases the highway feel and increases the sense of urban connection between the two projects.

Rcr5RsR.jpg

It would have been nice if boylston st had gone straight through the fens instead of curving around, seeing as both parts of the road line up in a straight line anyways. This would have really connected fenway to the back bay and extended the back bay west. Its definitely too late now though, it would have had to have been designed that way from the start because of the buildings built along the curve.

It would have been nice if boylston st had gone straight through the fens instead of curving around, seeing as both parts of the road line up in a straight line anyways. This would have really connected fenway to the back bay and extended the back bay west. Its definitely too late now though, it would have had to have been designed that way from the start because of the buildings built along the curve.
It would still be physically possible to do, although the public opposition would be insurmountable. Here's my concept that would eliminate the Bowker overpass plus straighten Boylston St.:

26509569367_3ffeb2ccdb_o.jpg

Back