Lyrik Back Bay | 1001 Boylston Street (Parcel 12) | Back Bay

I'm quite familiar with that unit. Its an awesome apartment. My cousin lived in it from roughly 1995 - 2006. Its obviously huge with the ceilings and what not. When he first lived there with his band mates, yes he practiced and sometimes had shows there, it was all beat up and needing a lot of tlc. But then in roughly 1997 and made for tv movie was being filmed in Boston and used his apartment for certain scenes. The deal was they got the placed fixed up for free and had to let them film and be out of the way. The only draw back was there was hardly any heat in the winter, especially in the tall room with the windows, but a super cool place and the rent was reasonable.

i lived in that building, two floors below the roof/top. there was a balcony/fire escape thing out the back that had direct access to the roof where my group of friends/idiots would do totally mature things like throw stuff on people exiting steve's at 2am and blast tunes while doing our part to deplete costello's supply of castillo silver rum and old thompson while also paving the way for legal dispensaries a couple decades later.

we once managed to get an invite into the unit being discussed (i'd assume invited by your cousin, since this would have been sometime between '95-'98) to watch the 4th of july fireworks, which were semi-visible from the roof where we had been perched/causing trouble, but nearly completely visible from the apartment. the guy who invited us (again, presumably your cousin) was clearly a little wary of whether we'd be rowdy or friendly when we first got in there, but once it was clear we skewed towards the latter he was super chill and generous. great time!

Last edited:
Hilarious, that is it! I met someone who lived in that apartment around that time and she told me that winters were tough, she often walked around wrapped in a blanket.

I'm quite familiar with that unit. Its an awesome apartment. My cousin lived in it from roughly 1995 - 2006. Its obviously huge with the ceilings and what not. When he first lived there with his band mates, yes he practiced and sometimes had shows there, it was all beat up and needing a lot of tlc. But then in roughly 1997 and made for tv movie was being filmed in Boston and used his apartment for certain scenes. The deal was they got the placed fixed up for free and had to let them film and be out of the way. The only draw back was there was hardly any heat in the winter, especially in the tall room with the windows, but a super cool place and the rent was reasonable.

Sleuthing: my curiosity sufficiently piqued, I went to City Assessing page and saw the owner's address of 39 Brighton Ave.--Hamilton Co. (in this city, who else would it be?!)

So I then went to Hamilton Co. page and tracked down the listing for this complex, which is marketed as "MBH Apartments" (1126 Boylston St.). Here's the subpage.

--Interiors gallery here
--Floor plans here (note the "lorem ipsum" Latin filler--apparently Hamilton Co.'s ambitions for this subpage included, at one time, actual marketing copy! Also, can't help but notice that the sweeping panorama of the Back Bay skyline is at less-than-ideal resolution... eh, not like they're trying to move $4 million condos in the Seaport.)

Unfortunately, I didn't see any data/images that corresponded to this now-legendary/fabled unit, but perhaps I didn't scrutinize sufficiently...

i lived in that building, two floors below the roof/top. there was a balcony/fire escape thing out the back that had direct access to the roof where my group of friends/idiots would do totally mature things like throw stuff on people exiting steve's at 2am and blast tunes while doing our part to deplete costello's supply of castillo silver rum and old thompson and pave the way for legal dispensaries a couple decades later.

we once managed to get an invite into the unit being discussed (i'd assume invited by your cousin, since this would have been sometime between '95-'98) to watch the 4th of july fireworks, which were semi-visible from the roof where we had been perched/causing trouble, but nearly completely visible from the apartment. the guy who invited us (again, presumably your cousin) was clearly a little wary of whether we'd be rowdy or friendly when we first got in there, but once it was clear we skewed towards the latter he was super chill and generous. great time!

Cool, yea my cousin was pretty cool, really best described as tall, handsome, and funny. He was a key board player, the guitarist also lived there. They started out as The Pies, then become Euphonic. They were pretty good. Here is there website and yep the main page is that apartment. https://www.euphonic.com. I really do recommend listening to them.

Come for the photo, stay for one of the more bonkers chat threads I've seen about development.
Yep. I feel this one pretty much captures the issue:
I always loved the view of the Pru from the Pike, made me happy every time I came into the city.
If you think of the city as a place to astonish and wow yourself when you visit from elsewhere, then you likely can't understand the importance of this building. But for those of us who spend our lives here, this is a transformational project in a very good way.

The people making these comments -- they are not Boston people.

Yep. I feel this one pretty much captures the issue:

If you think of the city as a place to astonish and wow yourself when you visit from elsewhere, then you likely can't understand the importance of this building. But for those of us who spend our lives here, this is a transformational project in a very good way.

The people making these comments -- they are not Boston people.

Easy on the us-vs-them homily - and re: such an innocuous comment - it's preachy and rarely makes the 'us' look better.

Easy on the us-vs-them homily - and re: such an innocuous comment - it's preachy and rarely makes the 'us' look better.
Nah, you can take it how you want, but I'm sick of people who don't live here demanding things of the city that go against the needs of actual residents. I don't give a damn about site lines enjoyed by commuters on the Pike, it makes no impact whatsoever on the lives of people who live here.

Nah, you can take it how you want, but I'm sick of people who don't live here demanding things of the city that go against the needs of actual residents. I don't give a damn about site lines enjoyed by commuters on the Pike, it makes no impact whatsoever on the lives of people who live here.

Ok, you're on the high-speed hyperbole train this morn and I don't have a ticket. Enjoy the holiday.

I absolutely concur with the view murdering comment as it relates to 888 Huntington. From a pedestrian perspective, that area of Boylston Street feels 100x less impressive than it did with the plaza and Pru/111 Huntington looming overhead. In fact, I still remember being captivated by that view of the Pru from when I was there as a kid under 10 years old.

Also, when complaining about a highway view, where were these people when the North Point blob wall started blocking everything from the Leverett Connector? The bogeyman is always the combo of height x width, not height alone. If Parcel 12 had the proportions of 1 Dalton nobody would be complaining about it blocking the others, even if it was twice as tall and they're all focused on height. I think the main complaint, that really has happened all over the city (particularly before the new taller towers kicked in starting with Millennium Tower) is that shorter/fatter buildings now block views of taller, "bigger city" buildings from all over the place. For instance, I think it was The Kensington (that monstrous piece of crap!!!) that originally blocked the combined view of The Fed and 1 Financial when looking down Stuart/Kneeland Street. Even though it fills in empty plots and is obviously a greater good to the city, it still makes the city feel smaller and less visually impressive when you block views of taller more majestic buildings with ones half as tall and just as wide.

I agree. If the Pike were completely covered over with air rights developments/pocket parks from the Central Artery to Allston (and beyond) that would be a good thing for neighborhood connectivity and quality of urban life. When the Central Artery downtown was put underground, sure, some views were lost, but the benefits outweighed that by a thousand fold.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20220527-140652_Gmail.png

I wonder why the second core hasn't begin to rise yet. Anyone know, some sort of phasing, I guess?
Might have to do with budgeting for cranes and/or concern not to get in each other's way....If I'm correct, they are two distinct buildings, not one building with 2 cores.

Back