Lyrik Back Bay | 1001 Boylston Street (Parcel 12) | Back Bay

It's a little early to pass judgement on the facade isn't it?
The only possible saving grace is that this paneling exists only at this weird corner niche in the building, which does indeed seem to be shown as different in the renderings.

On a brighter note, the Pru Tower seems to have been kind of given a facelift. Haven't seen it this clean since the time that it first opened back in '64!! :)

Last edited:

I dont think theres anything to worry about so far. It appears to be this piece right here, where its missing a balcony and the next face appears to be the only flat part of the entire facade.

It definitely appears that the rest of the facade has much more depth. The crown mullion above that face of the facade sticks out at the bottom, showing the rest of them are thicker. You see this a lot when architects notch a facade, it looks better to have the notch be smooth like its cut out of the tower than have a bunch of mullions sticking out inside of it cluttering it up.

Last edited:
The Mass Ave. facing side is
IMG_20220810_114236828_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220810_114240557.jpg
IMG_20220810_114304212.jpg
IMG_20220810_114358786_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220810_114646681_HDR.jpg
already showing more promise.

It's short! It's tall! It's great! It's terrible! It's OK!!!

IIRC, a long time ago someone put up a post describing the aB construction project equivalent of the seven stages of grief. I wish I could find it because I think every reaction you listed was the indicator for one of the stages.

IIRC, a long time ago someone put up a post describing the aB construction project equivalent of the seven stages of grief. I wish I could find it because I think every reaction you listed was the indicator for one of the stages.

Yes, that would have been me. Dusting off the AB cobwebs back to June 5, 2013 referencing construction at TD Garden.
And by recent comments, we're at step 9, so pretty far along. ;)

1) Post article from Globe, Herald, or BBJ
2) Excitement ensues for 3-10 posts.
3) Rendering released. 10-30 more posts, possibly from only 2-5 members about the architectural apocalypse being upon us.
4) Community meeting time... NIMBYs/BRA suck, this wouldn't happen in NYC, etc.
5) Revised proposal released. Floors cut, value engineering done, and discussion about alucobond.
6) More community meetings and bitching. Something keeps being posted about "lack of vision and the Krafts/seaport". Thread also derails into some ridiculous topic like this thread, independent movie houses now closed, or DTX BIDs.
7) Construction may or may not start. Surprise BRA or Mass DEP/DOT permitting issue.
8) If construction continues, some awesome folks will do their damnedest to document it all with a gallery of pics.
9) For every 1 pic there is a ratio of 5-10 posts judging materials like precast and glazing. 50% chance of thread derailing again. And with construction not even at 10% complete people will declare the building to be the end of Boston.
10) Building complete, it turns out 'not as bad' as people thought or 'better than a parking lot'. Thread dies.

Last edited:
This is great, thank you! I've been looking for the post like crazy and I couldn't find it. One of the greatest aB posts of all time!

Yes, that would have been me. Dusting off the AB cobwebs back to June 5, 2013 referencing construction at TD Garden.

3) Rendering released. 10-30 more posts, possibly from only 2-5 members about the architectural apocalypse being upon us.
5) Revised proposal released. Floors cut, value engineering done, and discussion about alucobond.
6) More community meetings and bitching. Something keeps being posted about "lack of vision and the Krafts/seaport". Thread also derails into some ridiculous topic like this thread, independent movie houses now closed, or DTX BIDs.
7) Construction may or may not start. Surprise BRA or Mass DEP/DOT permitting issue.
8) If construction continues, some awesome folks will do their damnedest to document it all with a gallery of pics.
9) For every 1 pic there is a ratio of 5-10 posts judging materials like precast and glazing. 50% chance of thread derailing again. And with construction not even at 10% complete people will declare the building to be the end of Boston.
10) Building complete, it turns out 'not as bad' as people thought or 'better than a parking lot'. Thread dies.
I feel like a designer on this board could make a great flow chart/decision tree out of this. Slap it on some tee shirts or a tote bag, boom merch. i'd buy one.

I'm not sure if this is all the way down to the Pike, or just to Boylston, but all 5 points in the FAA show between 330'-352'.

While this shows the old colors, the NPC made it clear that there were no changes to height. You can see the 298' doesn't include mech, which is pretty typical for the initial heights we are provided on many/most projects.
View attachment 27064

The new one at Union is 297' to the top. Liberty Mutual is 335'. 200 Berkeley is tough to judge because it uses a spire to reach 495'. Overall though this project is taller than you seem to think that it is.
arg...I was wondering when somebody was going to catch me on this. I walked out the door the next day and started counting floors on the various buildings I mentioned and pretty much immediately realized I was wrong. I'll own this one.

I remember you posting that like it was yesterday. That's almost 10 years old now..... :ROFLMAO: :unsure::eek:

I remember you posting that like it was yesterday. That's almost 10 years old now..... :ROFLMAO: :unsure::eek:
Time flies, and you can still cringe thinking about who these sh#t-posters were, and how nice it is they've been shown the door.

In a less cynical follow up I'd add step: 11) Look back and appreciate much Boston and surrounds have changed since that post in 2013. 🏗🏙

I was a little surprised when I took a look at the first little taste of exterior cladding going up. Instead of the blueish tint to the glass in the renders, it is decidedly darker (almost black like a tinted car window). I had forgotten where the mock up was; it's behind the Tasty Burger in Fenway on Boylston. Overall me no likes; much tanner than the pure white used on the NE dorm, and the darker tint instead of a "🔵". Love the overall concept in the design (say no to boxes!), and hope I'm wrong again.
IMG_20220817_111828534.jpg

Back