Patriot Place | Foxboro

Re: Patriots Place

This concept might have worked better somewhere where there was nowhere else to shop outdoors, or where fetishism of the local football team lasted year-round. Neither is really the case in New England.

I love the Patriots year round. Unfortunately, this place won't be a consistent success until people live in the area, and aren't just driving from miles away to shop or watch a game or concert.

I think this is just a location issue. I don't think it has to do with it being the football off-season. The draft was this weekend, mini-camp is starting soon and people are talking about the Patriots all the time on WEEI and other sports forums.

The location hurts it because other than game days, there's no reason for Patriots fans to be there. It's not due to lack of interest, it's because there's no point to go anywhere near Foxborough when the Patriots aren't playing for those people who live outside the area. If you live in Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maine, even further areas in Mass. why would you go to shop in Foxborough just because the Patriots play there in the winter? It doesn't make sense. This type of thing would be much better in the city, but the Patriots don't play there. If they played there in the city, it'd be like ESPN Zones in other cities--a tourist trap.

BostonSkyGuy said:
If you live in Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maine, even further areas in Mass. why would you go to shop in Foxborough just because the Patriots play there in the winter? It doesn't make sense.

This is what I meant about fetishizing the Patriots. You'd have to be pathologically obsessed with them to the exclusion of everything else to shop here given other options. Still, it might work in, say, Green Bay.

This type of thing would be much better in the city, but the Patriots don't play there. If they played there in the city, it'd be like ESPN Zones in other cities--a tourist trap.

Thank god we avoided a Patriots lifestyle center theme park in the midst of Boston, not to mention a wasteful behemoth of a stadium. The current American Revolution theme park atmosphere is bad enough.

This is what I meant about fetishizing the Patriots. You'd have to be pathologically obsessed with them to the exclusion of everything else to shop here given other options. Still, it might work in, say, Green Bay.

Okay, I get it now. I thought you meant there's just not enough interest when they aren't playing. Thought you were taking a sarcastic veiled shot. I was giving you too much and not enough credit at the same time =P.

Thank god we avoided a Patriots lifestyle center theme park in the midst of Boston, not to mention a wasteful behemoth of a stadium. The current American Revolution theme park atmosphere is bad enough.

Yeah, I agree that we don't need this shopping center crap in the city. I do wish the stadium was on the Waterfront or some where that public transit reaches. It's a pain in the ass to drive out to Foxborough on game days. It's a 3 hour game and a 12 hour day when you factor in driving and tailgating.

The problem is that malls are in an economic decline. General Growth, one of the biggies, is collapsing, Simon is pulling in its horns a bit (how's that high rise at Copley Place coming, boys). The value just isn't there. In line store sales are falling, anchors struggling.
Patriots Place was a brilliant concept, just too late to catch the market, as well as banal in its execution. The things that might have enlivened it: a mini convention center with hotels, a strong condo content...there is no market.
So, you've got an ordinary suburban mall with (other than Bass) nothing that you can't get within 5 miles of anywherever you live.
By the way, malls can be outdoors, e.g. South Shore Mall started "open air", Derby Street Shoppes (or is it "Shops or "Shoppies").

I would have loved the stadium in the Seaport area, obviously without the surrounding mall.

The Seaport has enough underutilized white elephants planted on superblocks.

Yeah, it would have been more accessible...the six times of the year it's used for home football games.

It would also be cold as fuck.

Would you prefer the stadium or the BCEC, given the option? And face it, New England is always cold as fuck in the winter, no matter where you are.

Ugh, that's a crappy choice, but I'd have to go with BCEC since it's a constant draw and actually drives development like hotels (Pats fans are mostly within driving distance).

And I'm pretty sure the cold is worse with a sea breeze.

There are acutally 8 regular season home games for the Patriots, in addition to a couple of pre-season games and a playoff game or two if they qualify.

In the spirit of not being a nit-picker, the point is well-made that there are not many football games over the course of the year.

Not sure what type of crowd the revs draw, nor home many concern (and other) events are held out there over the course of the year.

There is also supposedly some sort of Eurotrash/woman's sport played at the stadium occasionally as well.

Not sure what type of crowd the revs draw, nor home many concern (and other) events are held out there over the course of the year.

The revs average 14,000 per game during the season. 15 games per season + playoffs + international tournaments.

International games (like Brazil and the Gold Cup) are also held at Gillette. Brazil can draw up to a sold out crowd.

Apparently the big college lacrosse thing is very popular (two day event every year)

There are also miscellaneous high school championships, rodeos and the like.

The NCAA Division 1 and 2 championships were held at Gillette last year, and will be this year (over Memorial Day weekend). It usually sells out the lower bowl, and has a sparse crowd in the upper decks. This isn't a regular event, however. There's a lot of speculation it'll be in Philly or Denver next year.

The college lacrosse championship is a great event, especially if you're even the slightest lacrosse fan. Make a day of it. It's great

The Seaport has enough underutilized white elephants planted on superblocks.

Yeah, it would have been more accessible...the six times of the year it's used for home football games.

It would also be cold as fuck.

Clearly not an football fan. :)

You're right, though, there would need to be more "alternative programming." I think anything that adds life to the area and kills off a parking lot of two is a good thing.

Went to Bass Pro Shop Saturday evening to stock up on some supplies. The adjoining mall was hopping, the parking lot surrounding the mall and stadium full. The firearms section of Bass was packed with slack jawed foreigners in colorful spandex festooned with club and corporate logos, fingering the weaponry.

It was the most non-Patriots related activity I had ever seen there.

Back