Philadelphia, PA Rail Inconsistencies

Commuting Boston Student

Reaction score
One of the less immediately apparent (yet still fascinating) missteps buried within Amtrak's ridiculous Vision statement is their plans for redistributing traffic around the Philadelphia area. Completely overshadowed by the boondoggle proposal of a new tunnel for high-speed trains itself, Amtrak's proposed corridor services map - and more importantly, just which trains would be using that tunnel - reveals something fascinating.

FgdJl7r.png

The big things to note here are, of course, the complete lack of any apparent connection between 30th Street Station and the new Market East Station, and the service pattern for future Keystone Corridor services - which continue to use 30th Street en route to New York City only. This is fascinating for a number of reasons:
  • This mirrors the existing Keystone Service pattern - presumably right down to the required directional reverse on the platform at 30th Street, which needs to be eliminated.
  • It shows Amtrak is either unable or unwilling to utilize the existing tunnel and the existing Market East Station - the infrastructure for routing future Keystones onto the upper level of 30th Street Station and into the Commuter Tunnel to reach North Philadelphia and New York City without having to reverse directions is already in place and in active revenue service.
  • Despite Washington D.C. being similar in size and importance to New York City, Amtrak has no imagination for new service from Harrisburg (or Pittsburgh) to Washington D.C. beyond what is provided (and I use that term loosely) already by the Capitol Limited - even though such a service is a relatively trivial implementation and would not require a direction reverse on the platform at 30th Street Station.
Of course, the existing tunnel only stretches from Suburban Station to a portal somewhere north of Market East, making it quite useless indeed for the purposes of bypassing 30th Street or accessing the Airport without utilizing the existing SEPTA Airport Line. On the other hand, the existing tunnel is also four-tracked and fully electrified, doesn't appear to be burdened with particularly onerous speed restrictions (79 mph?), and perhaps most importantly, reconfiguring the existing Market East platforms to service current and future Amtrak trains isn't going to cost us $20 billion dollars.

Remind me why we need the new tunnel in Philadelphia again?

I love how rt 128 gets a stop on super express or whatever it is.

Um.. what?

Um, yes. It is. Union Station is a) huge and b) Amtrak World HQ, and Washington DC is only the capital of the entire country.

I suppose I didn't phrase the "size" half of my statement properly. I should have quantified it as "in terms of passenger rail operations and demand attraction." My bad.

I love how rt 128 gets a stop on super express or whatever it is.

I also love how they think they're going to be expressing everything through Back Bay but NOT Route 128, and how they are implying brand new HSR-exclusive stations for Wilmington and Baltimore.

I suppose I didn't phrase the "size" half of my statement properly. I should have quantified it as "in terms of passenger rail operations and demand attraction." My bad.

From Wikipedia:
1 Penn Station New York City New York 8,995,551
2 Union Station Washington District of Columbia 4,850,685

While I wouldn't call half "similar" I can't argue that it isn't important. Hell, Boston South station only comes in 6th.

One of the less immediately apparent (yet still fascinating) missteps buried within Amtrak's ridiculous Vision statement is their plans for redistributing traffic around the Philadelphia area. Completely overshadowed by the boondoggle proposal of a new tunnel for high-speed trains itself, Amtrak's proposed corridor services map - and more importantly, just which trains would be using that tunnel - reveals something fascinating.

FgdJl7r.png

The big things to note here are, of course, the complete lack of any apparent connection between 30th Street Station and the new Market East Station, and the service pattern for future Keystone Corridor services - which continue to use 30th Street en route to New York City only. This is fascinating for a number of reasons:
  • This mirrors the existing Keystone Service pattern - presumably right down to the required directional reverse on the platform at 30th Street, which needs to be eliminated.
  • It shows Amtrak is either unable or unwilling to utilize the existing tunnel and the existing Market East Station - the infrastructure for routing future Keystones onto the upper level of 30th Street Station and into the Commuter Tunnel to reach North Philadelphia and New York City without having to reverse directions is already in place and in active revenue service.
  • Despite Washington D.C. being similar in size and importance to New York City, Amtrak has no imagination for new service from Harrisburg (or Pittsburgh) to Washington D.C. beyond what is provided (and I use that term loosely) already by the Capitol Limited - even though such a service is a relatively trivial implementation and would not require a direction reverse on the platform at 30th Street Station.
Of course, the existing tunnel only stretches from Suburban Station to a portal somewhere north of Market East, making it quite useless indeed for the purposes of bypassing 30th Street or accessing the Airport without utilizing the existing SEPTA Airport Line. On the other hand, the existing tunnel is also four-tracked and fully electrified, doesn't appear to be burdened with particularly onerous speed restrictions (79 mph?), and perhaps most importantly, reconfiguring the existing Market East platforms to service current and future Amtrak trains isn't going to cost us $20 billion dollars.

Remind me why we need the new tunnel in Philadelphia again?

1. Its obvious that you don't know how the Philly network is laid out , the Amtrak plan bypasses several tight curves in Philly and Wilmington and Baltimore that can't be straighten out. They tried coming up with plans to straighten it out but deemed them to be even more costly then the Tunnel plan.

2. Market East is located within the Downtown Hub of Philly along with nearby Suburban Station unlike 30th Street which is located within West Philly / University City. So it was a great thing that Amtrak choose this route , it would spur massive economic growth in Center City Philly and even nearby Camden which is tied into Market East by the PATCO High Speed line. A Market East station would be used more and carriers more weight then 30th Street. Both Center City Stations are more used then 30th Street. As for Connections you can take the Regional Rail or Subway to 30th Street both of which run every 6-10mins and takes 5 mins.

3. The Keystone Reverse is fine and does not need to be eliminated , it takes 5 mins at most...although they tack on a mini layover. But the locomotive does not need to be switched like Regional they use Push-Pulls. The Current Septa Tunnel would be too congested once Septa starts expanding its network and on top of that it has 2 sharp curves where the speed limit is 10mph and the clearance is very low so if Amtrak wanted to run double decker high speed units it couldn't. The Tunnels are also tighter then Amtrak Standards if i'm not mistaken....

4. Amtrak with the help of PA and Maryland does plan on expanding its network but out of Harrisburg and not Philly. SEPA is Septas dept , Interstate links like the proposed Harrisburg - Baltimore Penn or Harrisburg - New York via Reading and Allentown are Amtrak's dept. Then there's the Proposed Harrisburg Regional Rail Network....which is a whole different topic. Theres also the planned Delaware Downstate/Eastern Shore line.

5. The Airport line is a mess and has extremely tight curves , which why Amtrak didn't use the line and opted for its own line which will allow speeds up to 180mph not 80mph. Its the line and the capacities along with Curves on the line which cannot be fixed...it was built for Septa and not Amtrak.....

The Tunnel and other Bypasses are needed to shave large amounts of time of the NEC journey...

1. Its obvious that you don't know how the Philly network is laid out , the Amtrak plan bypasses several tight curves in Philly and Wilmington and Baltimore that can't be straighten out. They tried coming up with plans to straighten it out but deemed them to be even more costly then the Tunnel plan.

Doubling speeds at Zoo Interlocking is more than sufficient and isn't going to cost us $20 billion, and that's the only horrendous curve that the ridiculous tunnel to the Airport will actually bypass. I'll grant you that Wilmington and Baltimore don't look great from a distance, but I'm not entirely sure how a tunnel through Philadelphia is going to fix either of those better than the $20 billion freed up from NOT building the tunnel would?

2. Market East is located within the Downtown Hub of Philly along with nearby Suburban Station unlike 30th Street which is located within West Philly / University City. So it was a great thing that Amtrak choose this route , it would spur massive economic growth in Center City Philly and even nearby Camden which is tied into Market East by the PATCO High Speed line. A Market East station would be used more and carriers more weight then 30th Street. Both Center City Stations are more used then 30th Street. As for Connections you can take the Regional Rail or Subway to 30th Street both of which run every 6-10mins and takes 5 mins.

Which, you know, logically means that you could take any of the Regional Rail options or a sanely-rerouted Keystone between those two (three) stations as well.

3. The Keystone Reverse is fine and does not need to be eliminated , it takes 5 mins at most...although they tack on a mini layover. But the locomotive does not need to be switched like Regional they use Push-Pulls. The Current Septa Tunnel would be too congested once Septa starts expanding its network and on top of that it has 2 sharp curves where the speed limit is 10mph and the clearance is very low so if Amtrak wanted to run double decker high speed units it couldn't. The Tunnels are also tighter then Amtrak Standards if i'm not mistaken....

Okay, so high-speed rail to Market East is going to be great and wonderful and worth every penny, development's going to go off like gangbusters ... but the zero-cost, zero-effort, zero-thought-required reroute of the Keystones into Market East via the Commuter Tunnel is unnecessary? Pissing 5 minutes out of a 15~20 minute layover into a cumbersome directional reverse is A-OK?

If sending more intercity traffic over to Market East is a good idea, then so is rerouting the Keystones, because you then zip out of 30th Street in 30 seconds, spend a minute at Suburban and have a 10~15 minute layover in Market East instead. And if sending more intercity traffic over to Market East is a bad idea, then the entire prevailing argument for this tunnel goes up in smoke and we shouldn't do it anyway. So which one is it? Either way, you're contradicting yourself.

4. Amtrak with the help of PA and Maryland does plan on expanding its network but out of Harrisburg and not Philly. SEPA is Septas dept , Interstate links like the proposed Harrisburg - Baltimore Penn or Harrisburg - New York via Reading and Allentown are Amtrak's dept. Then there's the Proposed Harrisburg Regional Rail Network....which is a whole different topic. Theres also the planned Delaware Downstate/Eastern Shore line.

Amtrak plans a lot of things. That doesn't mean all of them make sense, or are guaranteed to happen. And as much as you or I or anyone else would like it to not be the case, Amtrak doesn't exist in a vacuum either - there are real-world constraints and limitations on what they can and cannot do.

A reroute of the Keystone to eliminate the directional reverse and pick up one or both of Suburban and Market East Stations is something that can be done tomorrow morning. Hell, if the numbers are even THERE for this tunnel, making that change now is going to demonstrate a demand for sinking the outrageous capital cost into said tunnel!

But I don't think there's nearly enough demand for rerouting HSR into Market East. I don't think the numbers come even close to lining up - not today, not in ten years and not in 2050 when this thing has a realistic chance of getting built. It's a fundamentally flawed concept whose primary goal is solve an operational/political problem (in this case, having to play ball with SEPTA) by pouring unlimited amounts of money and concrete onto it. That's not a winning strategy.

5. The Airport line is a mess and has extremely tight curves , which why Amtrak didn't use the line and opted for its own line which will allow speeds up to 180mph not 80mph. Its the line and the capacities along with Curves on the line which cannot be fixed...it was built for Septa and not Amtrak.....

There's no reason to go to the Airport at all, that's the problem. The Airport Line exists, and it's more than sufficient for getting people from Philadelphia Airport to Philadelphia itself - but people trying to make an air-to-rail connection already have an infinitely better option in KBWI and a still much better option in KEWR. KPHL brings absolutely nothing to the table that isn't already provided by KBWI and/or KEWR.

The Tunnel and other Bypasses are needed to shave large amounts of time of the NEC journey...

Curve straightening, interlocking upgrades, saner dispatching practices, and maybe some strategically located bypasses are needed to shave time off of the trip.

This tunnel isn't.

Before I continue any further have you ever visited or used the Philly system?

Back