Photo Tour: Upstate NY village:

kz1000ps

Reaction score
This is the town where I lived from age 8 to 22. It's name is Kinderhook, Dutch for "children's corner." It's very old, and was formed on the route of the old Postal Road, connecting NYC to Albany, now known as Route 9. Between this and the natural power available in the Kinderhook Creek, the town flourished, and mill workers, politicians and lawyers alike all resided here.

Martin Van Buren, 8th US President, was born and has his retirement house and grave here, and many other important figures from the early days of our country had ties to Old Kinderhook, commonly known as OK and (arguably) considered the birthplace of the oh-so-common expression "OK." Also, Washington Irving wrote "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" here, complete with the characters Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horseman.

(My school district's name was Ichabod Crane Central School District... charming, right?)

However, by 1850 this town's importance had dried up as the railroads passed it by, and what's left for us today is a historically protected village that showcases all sorts of fine examples of 18th and (mostly) early-19th century architecture:

img0089mx0.jpg

Oh yeah, these were taken the day after Christmas last year, so bundle up!

img0098dq1.jpg

img0086zw7.jpg

Columbia County Historical Society museum:

img0096yk1.jpg

img0100ra5.jpg

Moving out of "downtown" now

town library:

a governor-defeat from NY's last election cycle resides here (we're still churning out politicians!):

Currently a district elementary school, originally the village high school:

This house is a fraternal twin to the above: identical original plans, but this one was heavily modified during the height of the French Second Empire fashion. I was fortunate enough to see the interior a couple years ago and it's just as grand as the exterior

The house where all the youngins go for a field trip at least a dozen times:

back in ye "OK" towne square

Railroad depot turned apartment complex - the first and only RR line to come through town didn't get built until the 1890s:

^ I'm a minivan driving soccer mom and I'm damn proud of it!

My town's skyline: two 75 ft.- water towers

Martin Van Buren's resting place

The Luykas Van Alan house dating from 1737: traditional dutch architecture transplanted into the Hudson River Valley

these next three are of Valatie, the village next door. It's still a part of the overarching "Town of Kinderhook"

An old theatre awaiting its fate

And the random ones that only I have an emotional attachment to:

My house where I lived for 13 years, to the right:

img0030fb5.jpg

Apple orchards surrounded my home

My high school

And to end things on a happy note, the newly completed shopping plaza our town has been blessed with ;)

Yep, that's the Hudson Valley right there.

Do you know a kid named Jamie Larson?

Oh man, he used to be a VERY good friend of my brother! He may very well still be for all I know.

Yum

Two to three times a year, I drive back Route 9 from Stamford, NY to Massachusetts. Going through Kinderhook is a highlight of each trip.

Love the photos. Love them.

Thanks for sharing them.

kz1000ps said:
Oh man, he used to be a VERY good friend of my brother! He may very well still be for all I know.

Small world, no? We used to be friends when we were young, his father and step-mom were good family friends.

Nice thread, kz. I've never been north of Rhinebeck -- I'll have to visit sometime.

My favorite places in the Hudson Valley are Garrison & Cold Spring.

vanshnookenraggen said:
Small world, no? We used to be friends when we were young, his father and step-mom were good family friends.

Yowza, yeah my little bro and him used to be best friends, especially through high school, and Jaime spent a LOT of time at my house. I, however, haven't seen nor heard from Jaime in years.

You didn't happen to know a Dan Lopez-Melville, did you?

Touching. I've never been north of...actually one time I went to Albany...but NYC is the farthest north (in new york) I've been.

Back