Pierce Boston (née The Point )| Boylston St/Brookline Av | Fenway

Re: The Point (Boylston/Brookline)

Great NIMBY quote to finish that article. take that shen.

Three points

1) Thank god the zoning at least allows for the height as of right

2) Am I correct in thinking that this would be the tallest building in the area?

3) Gotta love the neighborhood association dig against Kairos Shen

is there a rendering of this? didn't see one in the article....

Oh, neighbors, how I hate thee.

Barbara McKinley, another member the group said “the height is obnoxious.”

I don't think I could make the tone in her voice I'm sure she had if I tried for a hundred years.

2) Am I correct in thinking that this would be the tallest building in the area?

Looks like this would be the tallest. Everything new in this area is running between 15 and 20 storys.

There was one rendering posted in one of the Fenway threads a while back (ca. 2009) but I don't have time to dig for it. It was a tiny and not particularly detailed image from a bird's eye perspective (high above Emanuel College). I recall the facade was formed of "corrugated" bays, similar in form to the sawtooth facade of the Calderwood Pavilion, but extruded upwards to the full height of the building.

If I read the article correctly, it doesn't say that we're going to get anything like the Flatiron, just that the neighbor quoted in the article would prefer something like that as opposed to paned glass all the way up...

"Barbara McKinley, another member the group said “the height is obnoxious.”"

I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

^304' - 8" accordign to this from the page i linked to above.

BUILDING-HEIGHTS-12-08.jpg

Overview of area with the proposed Fenway Center project

Mmm. since then, two developments have been added: the Goodyear tire project and the McDonald's project down at 1282 Boylston. Both are mid-rises though, no?

The height proposed is a feint. 23 had to be proposed so the NIMBYs would accept 14. It'll wind up a midrise like everything else in the vicinity.

Welcome addition, though. Last time I remember walking past that building on the Boylston side it didn't even have proper sidewalks, just a sort of sloping kerb that bled into the street!

The height proposed isn't a feint. The new zoning was established by consensus for the Boylston street corridor around 2004 and this particular parcel was designated as a gateway with additional height tacked on. This is probably one of the few spots in the city where something tall has already been blessed by the public -even if there are two whiners quoted in the article.

Not to be a thread hog, but in my opinion, this will have smooth sailing. If anyone's built up goodwill with the city, it's EDIT *Steve* Samuels. He's done a fantastic job of opening up a new sub-neighborhood.

Last edited:

It is a valid point about Shen's aesthetic inclinations though. It's been stale for a few years, and the BRA keeps approving more!

This project was actually unveiled a few years ago. The renders are probably in the giant boylston page, including pictures of whats currently there.

The plan includes a decently sized plaza at the corner, including where the right turn lane is now.

Dang, was expecting a thread about my childhood 'hood in Brookline. Whiskey Point AKA The Point...(which happens to be right off Boylston = rt 9)

The current design will likely be quite different, but here's a rendering that was taken off CBT's site (now gone) by kz1000ps back in 2009 and posted in the Fenway Development thread:
bostoncpointr1pw5.jpg

bostoncpointr1bigwe4.jpg

Let's indeed hope for something different.

Welcome addition, though. Last time I remember walking past that building on the Boylston side it didn't even have proper sidewalks, just a sort of sloping kerb that bled into the street!

Yeah, it's pretty horrible around there. It's along my commute, but I intentionally cross Brookline a block over to avoid it. There tend to be a bunch of cars parked along there and there's also a dumpster blocking part of the walk. A new high/mid-rise would be a great addition.

Back