Plan looks to double Common garage

jass said:
A new apartment building may have garage parking for the new residents. It will not however replace the 400 (example) spaces used by day parkers,
I guess the number allowed by the EPA's cap will be maintained but re-allocated.

Fan Pier area will shuck a lot of spaces; you could think of some of those as migrating to the Common (though I think this is a bad idea; imo the Common is already ruined by being all-too-obviously the roof of the existing garage.)

ablarc said:
(...imo the Common is already ruined by being all-too-obviously the roof of the existing garage.)

Funny, when I encountered the Common for the first time ever I had no clue there was a garage underground; I just assumed the access buildings held bathrooms or information kiosks.

What makes it obvious to you? Or perhaps the more appropriate question would be: what existed in this spot before? Not a bare "parade ground" type area?

What you see is essentially what was there before the garage. Most of the Common had very few trees originally...it was common grazing land for cattle. In the 19th C, tree-lined malls were planted to encircle the Common. It was a favorite promenade for the residents of Beacon Hill, Park St. and Colonnade Row on Tremont St. (before commercial buildings took hold). Remnants of the malls can be seen along Boylston and Park Sts. The Tremont St. mall was particularly beautiful and lush, but was cut down in order to put in the first subway in America, from Park to Boylston. The Arlington St. and Charles St. malls have also suffered over the years.

When grazing became less important, the Common was planted with many trees. In fact, the Parkman Bandstand used to be surrounded by concentric circles of tall American elms...quite impressive, until they died of Dutch elm disease. Most were cut down forty years ago. One or two might be left, but imagine the canopy of leaves in that area; I remember complete shade in the summer.

Parts of the Charles St. mall were taken over to accommodate the ramps going into and out of the garage, and only recently replanted with trees. The fence was also restored on this side of the Common. But the parade ground remained just that...the place where the militia used to gather for marching maneuvers. To my knowledge, that section of the Common never had many trees for that reason.

The original kiosks for the garage were modernist/ugly buildings. When the garage was repaired, new and larger kiosks were built. The architect took design cues from the little stone building that used to be public toilets, but has long since been abandoned and is beginning to fall apart. In my opinion, the new kiosks lack imagination and are too repetitive in their design.

kz1000ps said:
ablarc said:
(...imo the Common is already ruined by being all-too-obviously the roof of the existing garage.)

Funny, when I encountered the Common for the first time ever I had no clue there was a garage underground; I just assumed the access buildings held bathrooms or information kiosks.

What makes it obvious to you? Or perhaps the more appropriate question would be: what existed in this spot before? Not a bare "parade ground" type area?
Before the garage, the Common had much more obviously natural topography and healthier grass. Also the trees were bigger, though as Padre Mike says, there weren't very many.

Google the aerial; you'll see the garage clearly.

Most folks aren't especially conscious that the topography is preternaturally even, but they may be sensitive to the general dreariness that results. The Common is dreary where the garage sits under it.

Its like they say about statistics, you can get them to say whatever you want them to say.

Its a stretch to say the grass is unhealthy because of the parking garage. Grass needs very little soil to be healthy. Its called foot traffic and sun baking. Man what do you have against parking lots? Even underground ones!

The Parade Ground is meant to be treeless, and was so before the parking garage was built. It is there for large public gatherings such as Shakespeare in the Park, or a Landmarks Orchestra concert. It's currently closed for reseeding, because it has been used so much for these purposes in the last few years.

Ron Newman said:
The Parade Ground is meant to be treeless, and was so before the parking garage was built. It is there for large public gatherings such as Shakespeare in the Park, or a Landmarks Orchestra concert. It's currently closed for reseeding, because it has been used so much for these purposes in the last few years.

Right on. that was my next point but I wanted to be concise on my first one. Some people illogically ignore the importance of things serving a purpose. It's not all aesthetics.

That garage also serves those who do happen to live in Beacon Hill, and other neighborhoods, as well as visitors to the area.

Going in town for Dinner and a show, then maybe having something after is an inconvenience for some, when the constraints of the T come into play.

I am for public transportation. But I also for the right drive someplace else after going to a show, other than back to the car by rail.

I happen to live in town. But I am not going to spend $35 on a cab from Cambridge or Somerville, if I want to see a rock show after a play. Or whatever the scenario.

We have a downtown, attempting to be revitalized, and more growth coming. That there is a train does not address the fact that there are too few spaces to park.

That the trains stop early is an issue. But just one.

Back