Political postings

JohnAKeith

Reaction score
Hello.

What is the policy of the archboston.org forum regarding candidates for public office?

If there is no "policy", then what do people feel should be the general guidelines - should each post by the person include a disclaimer that the person is running? Should the person have to include his/her real name and political affiliation, if any?

These questions have nothing to do with an announcement I am making tomorrow morning.

Awwwwww snap!

As far as I know there are no set rules since it's never really come up.

The thing about the internet is there is some level of anonymity. How open about who you are is up to you. If you want to tell the world you are running for office just make a post in General and that should be fine. If anyone questions you about it just point to the thread. Make it a non-issue.

I would assume that if someone were running for office, they'd flaunt it as much as possible to garner votes. But I can't vote or run, so doesn't regard me.

I'm seeing an announcement on UHub, but nothing here yet?

In anycase, I live in this district. Keep us informed about events and if you need anything.

I wanted to post it here, first. I wanted to post it everywhere, but suddenly I have a campaign manager and suddenly everything has a schedule!

I am running for 3rd Suffolk District State Representative!

It includes the South End, North End, Chinatown, Bay Village, Financial District, Leather District,Waterfront and parts of Roxbury and Beacon Hill.

I am for "restoring the trust" in our elected officials (I am in both Dianne Wilkerson's and Sal DiMasi's districts!) and ensuring economic growth in the Commonwealth by supporting our main industries including hospitals, universities, tourism, bio-tech, and financial services.

I am proudly pro-growth. (Not to be confused with "pro-development".)

Good luck John! You seem like a reasonable guy on this forum. Can't imagine why you'd want to lower yourself into the gutter of politics, but that's just a jaded old Bostonian speaking!!!!

Well, pelhamhall, don't forget - I was previously a real estate agent. Politician is a step up toward respectability ...

How does this affect your gig at the fishwrap?

Good luck, John - I'm in your district and for what it's worth, you have my vote. I'm happy to see a candidate who knows what it is to work for a living in the real world. Don't forget us when you hit the big time!

Good luck, John - I'm in your district and for what it's worth, you have my vote. I'm happy to see a candidate who knows what it is to work for a living in the real world. Don't forget us when you hit the big time!

You have the canine vote, Jimbo.

A few words of advice:

1) Never use a bra for a wallet. (Go for the jockey shorts. Harder to photograph at the table, and oh so impressive when you stand up.)
2) Never write when you can speak.
3) Never speak when you can nod.
4) Never nod when you can wink.

Just kidding, kid. Go get'em!

What are you going to do when someone asks you about the Red Sox?

'Cos you really don't want to be the next 'Manny Ortez' guy.

(IIRC, your total ignorance about sports is a source of pride for you!)

Mike Bloomberg has a guy teaching him Spanish, I have a guy teaching me Boston sports. I was surprised to hear that Dwight Evans is now retired.

I'm in your district as well.

Feel free to post whatever you like, as long it's relevant. You seem to have a good sense of propriety, just use your best judgment.

I think it's great to see a candidate that takes an interest in urbanism, and recognizes its importance to the city. Good luck!

I'm in your district too...you've got my vote. I see susan passoni at my coffee shop every saturday...and I have to say this: Her laugh makes me want to throw myself through the plate glass window. She lost me at, guffaw.

I've been told that a friend of a friend is working in your campaign. Go get 'em John.

Oh hey there! Any recommendations of local pro-development candidates to vote for?

I would really appreciate formal political discussions here.

One big disconnect is that land use is municipal but transit is state-level, so that Boston and Cambridge have incentive to pile supertalls and a whole Seaport and Kendall, but never set aside some TIF revenue for actually paying for Silver Under Dst or Red-Blue connector.

Total other issue for a pro-growth candidate is non-compete reform. Facebook moved to California in part because Califorina will not enforce contracts which bind workers to not working for a competitor(the result being a pro-worker yet mobile labor market where startups are free to bid for talent). Mass non-competes are insanely anti-worker: employers can lay you off while making your severance contingent on you signing/extending a MULTI-YEAR non-compete. Worse the state will have to pay unemployment benefits while your hobbled job search grinds on. Rep Brownsberger (D-Belmont) has the whole scoop if you want to go to school and n the need for reform.

Back