Porter Exchange

armpitsOFmight

Reaction score
I was really upset when the Japanese grocery store was kicked out by Lesley University and replaced by Barnes & Nobles; I often went there to pick up snacks when I was in Cambridge. Now is a time to rejoice because I just discovered another grocery store in Brookline Village that is Japanese and has a good selection of stuff. Check out 200 Washington Street if you're interested.

The one in Dorchester is, but it caters more towards the Chinese crowd. Is the one in Brighton still open?

seems like Super 88 has gone out of business but their Allston store has been replaced with "Hong Kong Market" (nothing's changed inside, it still has a grocery store and food court)

Now is a time to rejoice because I just discovered another grocery store in Brookline Village that is Japanese and has a good selection of stuff. Check out 200 Washington Street if you're interested.

It's pretty good. I swear I heard/read that Hideki Okajima shops there, but that could be my imagination or just Brookline gossip.

I just did a quick google search for any news on the plans for the Kotobukiya folk to open a new place in Medford. Looks like the plans came to fruition: "Ebisuya" on Riverside Ave. This is actually a fantastic location because it's right down the street from the Japanese school (Nihongo gakkou, bitches).

Still, Boston could use a Mitsuwa....

Blade, I love the selection of Japanese establishments on the West Coast, not even NYC can compete with Silicon Valley and the rest of the Bay Area. Man, I'd love to have a few Japanese fast food restaurants in the Boston area such as Yoshinoya and Matsuya so I could get fat on their beef bowls and giant plates of curry rice. I think NYC has only one established Japanese fast food restaurant and that is in Times Square, fucking weak for such a gigantic city (then again, I haven't been to NYC for about 8 years). Oh yeah, and I'm not talking about local mom-and-pop shops trying to emulate Japanese fast food restaurants, I'm talking about the real deal, aka Japan's flag ship fast food chains hitting the U.S.: Yoshinoya and Matsuya, which have several locations in the Bay Area.

Wagamama not good enough for you?

Lesley seems intent on destroying the Japantown-in-a-Box that made Porter Exchange so unique. It still blows away the more-heralded attempt to create an indoor Japantown in Seattle, Uwajimaya.

Wagamama tries to be healthy, so no it isn't good enough for me. Besides, I never ate at a Wagamama in Japan, so I don't think it is a real Japanese establishment. Maybe a Japanese-American establishment?

It's British, actually. But it's pretty good, even if it's not "authentic" - if by "authentic" you mean "the profits flow back to a cube farm in Nagoya". Because a global chain like Yoshinoya is about as "authentically" Japanese as McDonald's is "authentically" American. If I were in Istanbul and wanted a burger, I'd rather eat a tasty, healthy one from some local imitator than one that came from a chain that happened to be HQ'd in the US.

seems like Super 88 has gone out of business but their Allston store has been replaced with "Hong Kong Market" (nothing's changed inside, it still has a grocery store and food court)

It's been bought out by another company.

Yoshinoya has a vibe that can't be beat, unless you wanna be a world-class-travelling-rich-snooty-yuppie who claims to know what makes a city a CITY.

What happened to the super 88 on Commercial St. in Malden?

Back