Portland - Franklin Street redesign and redevelopment

cneal

Reaction score
Franklin Arterial is a failed urban-renewal project from the late 1960s/early 1970s that demolished acres of historic neighborhoods in the center city and replaced them with a wide, 1/2 mile expressway across the peninsula. Here's a before-and-after aerial photo (courtesy of the Portland Press Herald) - the photo on the left was taken in 1966, after limited urban renewal redevelopment (the fields in the left foreground were among the first "slum clearance" demolitions); the photo on the right is from 1970.

FranklinCompareForeside.jpg

The City of Portland and local neighborhood groups are now looking to redevelop the Arterial as a more pedestrian-friendly street with mixed- use development along the edges. The current Arterial has a lot of excess real-estate that's currently unusable "open space." The City aspires to consolidate the street's traffic lanes into a smaller footprint and use the balance of the land to promote new development.

Here are views of the three concepts, looking south towards the Old Port from Cumberland Avenue. All three are taken from the same vantage point, with existing buildings outlined in white and possible new buildings in brown:

franklin_urban-lincoln.jpg

franklin_parkway-lincoln.jpg

franklin_multi-way-lincoln.jpg

You can see more details about this project and view animations of the concepts at www.franklinstreet.us.

What was the reasoning behind making both roads crooked and un-parallel? Was the civil engineer high that day?

What was the reasoning behind making both roads crooked and un-parallel? Was the civil engineer high that day?

I'm sure it had something to do with giving it more of a "Parkway" type feel... lacking straight, grid-like streets.

Anyway, I do hope they can make this narrower and put some urban development around it. It's a terrible blight to an otherwise charming area.

Thanks for posting this. Current city manager Joe Gray was the motivating public official for this "masterpiece" of urban planning. I agree that the shape of the streets probably had to do with avoiding a grid like plan--common in so many larger cities with exponential growth. But, at the same time, it does look kind of like it was just drawn by some idiot. There really is so much wasted land, but I read somewhere that it was supposed to actually be wider--much wider, in fact--but those plans were nixed prior to implementation. This road was part of a larger city plan to revitalize Downtown Portland by increasing accessibility to the urban core. It included plans that resulted in what spring street currently is, state street, and cumberland avenue (the cumberland ave portion was never implemented, either, from what I understand, and Spring street was supposed to extend in farther west but such expansion was blocked by wealthy residents on Park Street). I think the improvements made during this era largely succeeded. Monument square, formerly referred to as the "golden triangle" because of its potential, never would be what it is today without Franklin arterial. Similarly, the civic center, which played a role in drawing people to the nearby old port (which used to be an abandoned warehouse district) would not have thrived without spring street. So, planners are in a tricky position now, because clearly accessibility is such an important and desirable thing to have in a dense city without easy public transportation used in other cities (like the T for example), but at the same time, does it have to come at the expense of aesthetic appeal? I think the first and third renderings are the best suited to accomplish what the FRA has in mind (to reconnect the city) because the more open space concept seems to increase development while at the same time still growing along what seems to be divergent urban paths. I'm not saying an open space concept couldn't work, but it would have to be much more than narrowing franklin only to extend Lincoln park, originally built as a fire barrier after the city was destroyed in 1866 (correct me if I'm wrong) because this would simply entail rearranging pieces of the same messed up whole. Just like kids moving their vegetables around on their plate--they're not being eaten, nothing has changed but their position. I think Franklin street has a lot of great potential. Thanks again for posting these images, cneal.

I just viewed the animations. here's what I think: overall, any of them will be an improvement. But, that said, I really think only the urban street idea (with the wall of buildings on each side) actually accomplishes a reintegration and reconnection of the east end with downtown. Its not all franklin's fault. The eastern waterfront is a dump and no one lives around it so there is no pedestrian traffic except from a few streets. The other areas along franklin are uninviting and intimidating, and unless there is a commercial buffer between those areas and the new wall of development on the western side of franklin shown in one of the alternatives, people are not going to gravitate toward this area as a recreational and retail place. there would be no sidewalk cafes or decent retail in an area surrounded by east bayside. That neighborhood is itself a mark of failed urban planning, and until it is fixed, it should be hidden. It is probably the worst place to look at in the city. I understand change comes in incremental steps, but I think the urban street layout would achieve more with a single step. Also, I like the multi lane parkway design with all of the trees, very nice. But, I think that end of franklin looks like it should be in the old port, rather than at the other end. It seems backwards. Fewer cars travel on the old port end of the .7 mile stretch that is franklin art, yet that is where this rendering expands the street (in the multi lane parkway rendering, at least). also, how sure are people that franklin towers is going to allow development in its parking lot? I know it is city owned, but I'm sure there are regulations for specified minimum parking spaces. This would need to change if the FT parking area was to be developed...or am I looking at this wrong? And, I don't think the top of the old port parking lot should be developed into a walmart sized and shaped building. Something more significant should go there. All of this said, however, I think, despite all of my complaints, that the FRA has done and continues to do an excellent job. keep up the good work

I think this article from today's PPH is related to the redesign of the area.

Past its prime, still filling a need

The days of federal housing projects for the poor are gone, but Franklin Towers continues to be a Portland success story.
http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=283195&ac=PHnws

PORTLAND ? Forty years ago this month, when the first low-income senior citizens moved into Franklin Towers, the new 16-story building was praised for its modern design and "sparkling" decor.

I would have called the story "still ugly after all these years."

I know not many people agree with me, but I like the franklin towers. Would I want row after row of them? No. As the article mentioned, they are from an outdated planning scheme used to clear the inner city for commercial growth and house the poor on the fringes of downtown. That's why they haven't worked in major cities, because their benefits have been outweighed by their negative aspects. But, as the article also mentioned, this is not how things have played out in Portland. FT in fact represents a self sustained community of people. I think there should be more buildings like this in Portland. It adds to the skyline in a very urban, although not stereotypically attractive, way. Kind of like railway tracks. It is gritty. I like it. Although, I do think that it could have benefited tremendously from windows on the two narrowest sides. At the very least, the city should consider implementing something like USM used on its new map library...using plastic over the facade and illuminating it from within to make it look like there are windows. This would be huge in revitalizing bayside. Some other buildings could benefit from similar refurbishing.
I don't want another FT, but I wouldn't want the one we have being torn down either.
2487934-l.jpg

^It's funny you say that. I was reading this thread earlier and almost commented on how I not only think it's not that bad, but kind of like the building (wouldn't in rows, but by itself, it's not bad).

Buildings from this era plague the small cities in New England. I've seen it too much in places like Lowell, Haverhill, Fall River, New Bedford etc. Buildings of this era exist in larger cities too, but in the case of most of those (Hartford, New Haven, Providence, Springfield, Worcester, etc), skylines developed around them and allowed them to be hidden by newer, nicer buildings (or blend with nice older tall buildings). Portland has done well in this regard. We can agree that Franklin Towers stands out in Portland as it is the tallest building in town. However, it's not nearly as ugly (in fact, I like it in context) as what you see in many other smaller New England cities (many of which are mired by other things such as old smoke stacks, etc). Portland's lucky enough to have one that works.

I understand the attachment to this structure, it's hard to imagine Portland without it. Maybe my negative view of the building comes from unfairly comparing it to what used to be in it's place and also having a hard time separating the structure from the surrounding parking lots, arterial, and neighborhood.

I still feel that the state of Maine could use a new tallest building to surpass Franklin Towers and to propel the state into the new century (or perhaps as far as the 1970's)

I know not many people agree with me, but I like the franklin towers. Would I want row after row of them? No. As the article mentioned, they are from an outdated planning scheme used to clear the inner city for commercial growth and house the poor on the fringes of downtown. That's why they haven't worked in major cities, because their benefits have been outweighed by their negative aspects. But, as the article also mentioned, this is not how things have played out in Portland. FT in fact represents a self sustained community of people. I think there should be more buildings like this in Portland. It adds to the skyline in a very urban, although not stereotypically attractive, way. Kind of like railway tracks. It is gritty. I like it. Although, I do think that it could have benefited tremendously from windows on the two narrowest sides. At the very least, the city should consider implementing something like USM used on its new map library...using plastic over the facade and illuminating it from within to make it look like there are windows. This would be huge in revitalizing bayside. Some other buildings could benefit from similar refurbishing.
I don't want another FT, but I wouldn't want the one we have being torn down either.
2487934-l.jpg
I don't mind the Franklin Towers, but I have always thought that the ultra boring drab concrete looking grey end walls could be dressed up with some sort of glazed curtainwall or paneling system to modernize the building. Similar to what you stated above.
Any idea who owns Franklin Towers?

I don't mind the Franklin Towers, but I have always thought that the ultra boring drab concrete looking grey end walls could be dressed up with some sort of glazed curtainwall or paneling system to modernize the building. Similar to what you stated above.
Any idea who owns Franklin Towers?

The Portland Housing Authority, so the city of Portland I believe.

Still, lipstick on a pig I say. ;)

What does everyone think about the potential for this plan to maximize the build-out scenario shown (any of them)? I think the plans for this street are great, but I think they should focus mostly on the street itself (rather than on development surrounding it) and try to implement a plan that would look great with or without surrounding structures. The fact is, as I see it, even assuming there was interest in this area of the city (there really isn't much), this sort of a build out would be major, and would represent something like a doubling of nearby businesses. this is not Dubai. I applaud the effort but I think it is unrealistic, ultimately. Therefore I think the street itself, in the context of vacant land, not a build environment, should be focused on more. What do you guys think?

Obviously, if it was realistic, I would support the most development possible, I think the street should keep development in mind, but until offers get on the table, the street should be thought about as it would look in the absence of such buildings. Think about how odd the Urban Street would look in the absence of any structures other than a whole foods market, Kennedy Park, and a rent a center.

Did anyone attend the meeting last night? From what I read in the paper the trail connection to back cove will be awaiting a pedestrian study following the current updates. It would be nice to have a trail there, or at least a safe walking path that is fenced off. I am more excited about the economic development potential running up franklin street, however. The top streets in Portland due for a major makeover are Franklin, Marginal, St. Johns, and Forest. If those streets could be more urban (even in sort of a Maine Street USA sort of way) the city would be much more enjoyable and would offer more than just downtown. There is no reason "downtown" should just be downtown if you know what I mean. The St Johns Valley would be great for redevelopment. I really think that hill of trees on the west end should be developed, too. That does to the west end what Franklin does to the east end. At least have a street or two going through it, a sidewalk, etc. It just doesnt seem right that there is such a disconnect between the western prom and the slum below it. dont get me wrong the hill looks nice, but how much does it do for the city? If anything it is a barrier and psychological depressant to the people who are locked in by it like a cell. Hmmm, we have the interstate, we have st johns strip development and the veterans' memorial stretch, and then we have the blank wall of either Maine Med or that hilly area with no connectivity to the City's more prosperous and enjoyable center. I wonder why that area isn't thriving. Its an island of junk.

Good point about the St. John's Valley. It is a prime spot ripe for development. They could have high density mixed use mid rises or townhouses, given the proximity to the west end and Maine Med, the area could be hoppin!

I would like to see very few high rises in that neighborhood. It is prone to urban ills and high rises, with their lack of defensible space, wouldn't add much to this. However, I am NOT against high rises in the right place. I think St. John's valley would do great with a walkable street grid and updated sidewalks punctuated by trails, restaurants, shopping areas, local businesses, and residences in a very dense arrangement that could facilitate the type of critical mass that really spurs an environment into urban splendor. High rises should stick to bayside, congress, franklin (some parts of it anyway) and the old port's empty lots, with midrises in the eastern waterfront and perhaps other places if they are commercial and not residential.

Probably the wrong thread but this is right off of Franklin and I'm glad to see an italian place going in this spot considering this used to be an all italian neighborhood years ago. Still a few places left

Italian Themed Coffeehouse/Bakery Opening at 9 Commercial Street in December

September 17, 2011 in Uncategorized | No comments

Crema Coming to 9 Commercial Street in December
By Carol McCracken (Post # 884)

“Crema” will start pouring great coffee and selling fantastic pastries at 9 Commercial Street by the end of this year, said Art Banister, one of the owners of the new business earlier this week. The coffee will be brewed in-house by John Walsh of Arabaca and there will be a small bakery in-house as well.

The large red brick building, owned by Banister, formerly housed the retail stores, the Finest Hearth, until it went out of business last December 21st. Prior to that Banister had owned the stove business Finest Kind there for years until he sold it to the Finest Hearth owners.

Crema will also sell other Italian products such as gelato, Italian sodas, pastries, cups and saucers. Cathy and John Walso, owners of Arabica, are partners with Banister in this welcome business to the area. There will be seating for 40 – 50 people.

It seems especially appropriate that this Italian themed business should be located near the corner of Commerical Streets and India. At one time, this section of the Hill was known as the “Italian Quarter.” A significant number of Italians immigrated to this area looking for jobs on the railroad at the beginning of the 20th century. Looking for religious freedom, in 1911, St. Peter’s Parish was opened on Federal Street. It became the center of religious activity for the Italians in the area.

I walked by the building last weekend and saw that it was being fixed up inside. The location will put it "closest" to the disembarking cruise ship passengers, although it is still a hike from the terminal.

I really think that hill of trees on the west end should be developed, too. That does to the west end what Franklin does to the east end. At least have a street or two going through it, a sidewalk, etc. It just doesnt seem right that there is such a disconnect between the western prom and the slum below it. dont get me wrong the hill looks nice, but how much does it do for the city? If anything it is a barrier and psychological depressant to the people who are locked in by it like a cell. Hmmm, we have the interstate, we have st johns strip development and the veterans' memorial stretch, and then we have the blank wall of either Maine Med or that hilly area with no connectivity to the City's more prosperous and enjoyable center. I wonder why that area isn't thriving. Its an island of junk.

Maybe because it is part of the Western Promenade listed on the National Historic Register, all in part of the plateau once called Bramhall Hill.

Maybe because it is part of the Western Promenade listed on the National Historic Register, all in part of the plateau once called Bramhall Hill.

Without trying to picture where 9 wommercial street is (the comm st extension is technically Thames St., so I am picturing it west of the Hilton?), I think CBD is pretty close (on India st.) to the cruise ship folks. Certainly this will be in a more desirable direction, but is it going to be closer?

Back