Portland - The Mecca of Historical Development News from the Portlander's Collection

I actually think One City Center fits well into the parcel of land it was built on and is a nice transition between Monument Square and the Old Port. My only complaint is I feel it should have been about five floors taller which would have made the building more prominent as viewed from the waterfront. Though it is still Maine's premier office tower, it could have been even more of a signature structure.

I'm a fan of One City Center, too. It works well as the downtown connection to the Old Port in my view. The mall area inside is a bit drabby and retro feeling/looking, but serves its purpose pretty well.

Patrick's note about Federal Street being a service alleyway is true, but it's a necessary function I suppose. This makes me think about 2 Monument Square (I think that's what it's called, the one that wasn't re-cladded recently) and it's very poor interactions with street level. One side is connected to One Monument Square, One side is a garage entrance and dumpsters on Federal Street, one side is another garage entrance to Congress, and the Temple Street side is nothing (but would make a nice little pocket park!).

I just happened upon this article online in the April issue of Portland Magazine, concerning One City Center which Patrick posted some pictures of on the last page. Patrick was also interviewed for the story, nice work!

Back