Portland's Franklin Street redesign

Council votes unanimously to partner with MDOT on Franklin Street redesign

Seems like a good first step, I hope it keeps moving along.
I don't see any reason to dislike this first step toward redeveloping Franklin.

The title is a little misleading as the article discusses revamping Thomas Park near Denny's and providing a loan for a developer. The loan for the developer doesn't have anything to do with Franklin.

I realize the drawings/designs depicted in this article (and one prior) are lacking, but we need to keep in mind those aren't actual developer concepts or designs. They're just depicting an idea of what is possible on Franklin.

I, for one, would like even more real estate to be opened up on either side of this future boulevard for development; particularly those areas earmarked for street plaza's closer to Commercial Street. Though open space will be nice/walkable etc.

It's unfortunate though that there is only one traffic circle at Commercial Street and not at Marginal Way. But ... this is all just conceptual and they'll look for design bids. Hopefully those bids (with data from MDOT) will show two circles make the most sense.

The previous article also mentioned moving the mature crab apple trees from the Franklin Median to the reclaimed Lincoln Park. All locals should be pleased with this.

All other prior articles, surveys, observations, analysis show that the huge grassy median in Franklin is a wasteland, street crossings are unsafe, and pedestrians don't cross where you'd expect/designated. It doesn't explicitly say reconnecting old closed off streets to Franklin (Oxford and Federal in particular). But I think doing so would help with reconnecting the East End with downtown.

Last edited:
I don't see any reason to dislike this first step toward redeveloping Franklin.
Since I'm the one that effectively thumbs-downed the prior post, I'll give the obvious answer (being completely aware that my opinions on these issues are not shared by most of this community): not wanting to see Franklin redeveloped.

Since I'm the one that effectively thumbs-downed the prior post, I'll give the obvious answer (being completely aware that my opinions on these issues are not shared by most of this community): not wanting to see Franklin redeveloped.
I know you mentioned drive-ability earlier, but depending on what direction the redesign heads it could be 5 lanes (see 2015 study) - not a change. Even if that doesn't happen and it drops to 3 lanes, I think it's plausible that downtown traffic naturally starts to more frequently use High St and waterfront traffic (heading north) starts to more frequently use Washington.

Rebuild Franklin St Now just posted this 30 min ago - I think this illustrates the reclamation difference between 5 lanes and 3.

alwisuegf;jsadkh.jpg

Not at all? Solely for the purpose of traffic/congestion and parking?

The photos in the article (while ugly) state they are "one vision" and not THE vision for the redevelopment. The base of the depicted buildings, while not actually proposed, appear to show a level of parking in the buildings.

Coming from NYC, traffic seems to move down the Avenues in Manhattan (and boulevards in Brooklyn and Queens) well enough. I can't see why it'd be any different for a half a mile or so in Portland?

Traffic circles at both ends of Franklin would help ease the congestion. Turning lanes at some of the intersections/lights would also help.

It'd also help if people in Maine didn't slow down to a complete stop (or swing way left) to take a right-hand turn.

I'm taking a wait and see approach to this potential project. Am trusting that individuals a lot smarter than me when it comes to traffic engineering, landscape design and pedestrian safety will come up with the proper concept and final design. I'll lean on nomc, Cosakita, Gil, PlantArch and Daniel for their opinions on whether this long anticipated overhaul is heading in the right direction! (y)

I’d say directionally this is headed in the right direction, certainly — understanding these are just early steps along a long path ahead. MDOT has introduced some more pedestrianized design solutions in “village/downtown zones” recently, and hopefully they’ll so so here too (especially). I also agree with a comment from Redfern (Catherine!) about the potential for future dedicated-transit ROW (bus/trolley/light rail) to circumnavigate the peninsula. While I haven’t seen MDOT make any accommodations like that anywhere else yet, there’s a first time for everything—someday.

With 295, those coming from the north the fast and easy access to the Old Port will be gone with the new development. And for those coming from the south, the Commercial Street exit by the oil tanks will become even busier. I'm already re-thinking my planned route/s in my head.

With 295, those coming from the north the fast and easy access to the Old Port will be gone with the new development. And for those coming from the south, the Commercial Street exit by the oil tanks will become even busier. I'm already re-thinking my planned route/s in my head.
I would perhaps agree - except ...

Consolidating Franklin from four winding/sprawling lanes ... to four boulevard lanes (with bicycle lanes, turning lanes, etc) ... wouldn't work any differently than say ... Forest Ave, western Congress Street (Westgate), outer Washington Ave (Northgate)

Drivers fly up and down State and High Streets regardless of parking on either side, pedestrian crossings, lights, and tight intersections.

Commercial Street will always be somewhat of a hot mess around the Old Port. Though adding a traffic circle at the bottom of Franklin may ease the congestion coming from WEX [et al.].

If we added a traffic circle at the top of Western Commercial (heading down either St. John or the Fore River Parkway that would also ease congestion/flow. I actually think a circle at the end of Veteran's Bridge would make a lot of sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: GIL
If we added a traffic circle at the top of Western Commercial (heading down either St. John or the Fore River Parkway that would also ease congestion/flow. I actually think a circle at the end of Veteran's Bridge would make a lot of sense.
Something like this? :giggle:
1709146505227.png

A circle at Commercial and Franklin might help some of the traffic from e.g. Portland Foreside or the cruise buses, but it probably won't affect Wex since they park a block up in Ocean Gateway, and I believe the hotel and condos exit via Fore St.

Haha ... NO ... that is a hot mess. Is that a prior iteration of that location?

The lights at the St. John/Danforth Connection and then at the Parkway hold up traffic flow.

The same can be said for the light at the Beech Street/Bridge Ramp connection. I think there's another light at Center & Commercial that doesn't help either.

Anywhere we can add a traffic circle is a good thing. Don't be afraid of traffic circles, Mainers. They're great.

Attachments

• Commercial & Fore River Parkway.jpg
    Commercial & Fore River Parkway.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Commercial & CBB Circle.jpg
    Commercial & CBB Circle.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 26

Back