New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Re: Somerville Soccer Stadium

I answered it on the very same page:

.......and Hartford has how many insurance companies??????

We've all seen this movie before.

Screw Boston.....CAMBRIDGE has more potential corporate luxury soccer box owners than Providence.

.......and Hartford has how many insurance companies??????

We've all seen this movie before.

Screw Boston.....CAMBRIDGE has more potential corporate luxury soccer box owners than Providence.

And I believe that if Gillette was falling apart and we were going through the exact same thing in 2007 as we did in the 90s, the Patriots would be holding training camp in Hartford right now.

Times change, circumstances change, and I truly believe that the climate now favors moving out of Foxborough as soon as possible. All I'm arguing is that a move to Providence now beats no move for another decade at the absolute minimum (and more like 20, 30 years realistically) - and that Providence, while not as large as Boston, is by no means a downgrade from what they have now.

The market power equation has to include the lost potential from those many, many future years at Gillette that could have been spent in Providence. It also has to include the potential for the Revs to move a second time, once Boston becomes receptive to a soccer team in the exact same way that LA went "hey - wait - you can't leave! Come back!" the second their NFL team skipped town, and the leftover stadium in Providence is still useful as venue space or for a new team (NASL, most likely) to set up in.

And I believe that if Gillette was falling apart and we were going through the exact same thing in 2007 as we did in the 90s, the Patriots would be holding training camp in Hartford right now.
_____
Shmessy: What????? You DO realize Foxboro Stadium WAS falling apart in 1997 the last time around.......and Hartford is still not in the NFL today.
______

Times change, circumstances change, and I truly believe that the climate now favors moving out of Foxborough as soon as possible. All I'm arguing is that a move to Providence now beats no move for another decade at the absolute minimum (and more like 20, 30 years realistically) - and that Providence, while not as large as Boston, is by no means a downgrade from what they have now.
______

Shmessy: Yes, and cutting off my thumb is better than cutting off my entire arm. Providence isn't the only option to staying in Foxboro. There is still Somerville, Revere, Boston, etc. (Eeeek!!! Even Hartford, yes, Hartford, would be a better contender than Providence). Yes, they need to move out of Foxboro - - no question. But Providence isn't the only option to Foxboro. And if time was a factor, then the Krafts would have moved them several years ago.
______

The market power equation has to include the lost potential from those many, many future years at Gillette that could have been spent in Providence. It also has to include the potential for the Revs to move a second time, once Boston becomes receptive to a soccer team in the exact same way that LA went "hey - wait - you can't leave! Come back!" the second their NFL team skipped town, and the leftover stadium in Providence is still useful as venue space or for a new team (NASL, most likely) to set up in.
_____

Shmessy: Once again, they should and will leave Foxboro.....they are in no hurry, evidently. And they certainly will not settle for the 7th or 8th best situation on their list.

n.

I'm no expert on these things, but is CBS making the argument that Amica, Citizens, CVS, Hasbro, and a few other major corporations are enough to support the box seats for a stadium in Providence?

I really don't find that to be all that great of an argument for Providence. From the perspective of filling box seats with business customers, Boston blows Providence out of the water, there's no two ways about it.

Agreed. But there's plenty that they could be doing long before an actual stadium move and they've done none of the other things either - as evidenced by lackluster media coverage, poor advertising of the team, lackluster community engagement (other than the World Cup viewing party at City Hall, what was the last event the Revs sponsored or helped produce in Boston?), no attempt to even leverage the Gillette Stadium commuter rail stop for the barest hints of a mass transit connection to the stadium - never mind anything like a party bus or other shuttle - and so on, and so forth.

The list of problems goes long beyond the lack of a soccer stadium but this thread is about a soccer stadium and it's the largest problem that could hypothetically be solved without a protracted fight over the Revs ownership rights.

All of this is relevant because of the arguments you are making about Boston. You can't paint Boston as a bad market for reasons that are the result of a lackluster front office in order to make Providence look like a more attractive move.

Prime real estate for a soccer specific stadium on the north side of the Jewelry District is reachable on foot from the train station - it's about a 10 minute walk.

I don't think I'm being dishonest at all. Lower frequencies on the Providence Line relative to the subways are not a function of either mode, and frequency can - and will - improve on the Providence Line. The speed of travel between South Station and Providence Station can easily get brought up to the point where it takes about as long to make that trip as it does to ride from Alewife to Silver Line Way.

SBvjIct.png

So a twenty minute walk across Providence's downtown, after a one hour train Commuter Rail ride from Boston, after whatever transit related commute the average person has to get to South Station or Back Bay. Then you have to consider when the game starts and transfer times. Getting to a stadium in Providence could easily be two hours each way. Who is going to spend four hours commuting to and from a 90 minute game?

The Commuter Rail does not currently provide the same service as the rapid transit lines and there is nothing in the planning stages that is going to massively improve that kind of service. I don't feel like this is something that I need to argue.

The fact is that no matter where you place the stadium, it's always going to be closer to some people than it is to others. The center of Boston is about the only place in the city where it could go and be readily accessible to everyone in the metro area with about the same distance/effort to travel there.

It probably isn't going into the center of Boston even if it moves into the city. It's going somewhere like where South Bay Center is, or the seaport, or - yes! - Assembly Row, or Readville. All of these places are easier for parts of the city to access and harder for other parts of the city to access. It's the same with Providence - people near South Station or in Back Bay or somewhere on the Red/Orange/Fairmount Lines are going to find it easier to get to than people in Lynn or Newton would.

If you put the stadium near the T then it would be much easier to get to for anyone in the Boston area, especially if you compare it to Providence. This is because if the stadium is located on the T then you don't need to spend one hour on the Commuter Rail and whatever time is necessary to make that transfer. If you lived in South Station Tower then it would be easier to get to a stadium in Assembly Square or Wonderland than Providence.

I'm open to seeing the hard numbers crunched on this, and I'm sure we're going to get some ideas of what those numbers are when this thing moves forward if it does indeed move forward.

You don't need to crunch any numbers because it isn't close. I'm not trying to short sell or insult Providence but it doesn't compete with Boston. I am sure that Providence has a lot of growth in its future but it isn't a major league city and thats OK!

I don't think the city of Boston or its residents can escape culpability here since it took 18 damn years for just one publication to find the testicular fortitude to actually call the Krafts out for being terrible owners, and - again, I can't stress this enough - almost all of our sports-specific media is still MIA on the Revs.

In order to escape blame for this, Boston needed to be a hell of a lot more vocal, and it hasn't been.

This is ridiculous. Bostonians, especially people who are only potential or theoretical fans of the team, are in no way responsible for lobbying Bob Kraft to put his stadium in the most sensible place. You keep shifting blame in all kinds of crazy directions and yet absolutely refuse to acknowledge that the front office is the source of the stadium problem.

Talks that, I should note, have gone absolutely nowhere. We got a name change of one of Somerville's streets to Revolution Way and that's about as substantial a result as I can think of coming from these talks.

I'm not psychic, but I'm willing to bet that Somerville and Revere are just as disinterested in paying for this thing as Boston is and that's why the talks have gone nowhere. And again, the economics of Providence paying for a stadium - because they desperately need the venue space - make sense. That's the true reason I support the move.

The front office is the only party culpable for the team languishing in Foxbourough. Boston and Somerville are not stonewalling the Krafts by refusing to give them a free stadium.

As for Walsh?

As far as wish-washy statements from politicians go, this is far from the worst I've ever seen, but I'd hardly call this a ringing endorsement - and, pointedly, this particular piece of information is coming on the heels of Boston making the Olympics shortlist, bringing us right back to the idea that the soccer stadium is only moving forward as a rider on the Olympics package.

That statement is not coming off the heels of any Olympics discussion it happened because the World Cup is occurring. I have no idea why you are so skeptical of what the Mayors of Boston, Somerville, and Revere all say about a soccer stadium but you are totally fine with what the Revolution's front office says and take that at complete face value.

Maybe I'm reading all of these posts wrong, then, but it's time for a montage!

Saying that Boston is larger than Providence is not a dig or slight against Providence. Providence also clearly benefits from being close to Boston.

Any harsh language in this quotes probably has more to do with having to have this discussion than hate on Providence or Rhode Island.

SBvjIct.png

So a twenty minute walk across Providence's downtown, after a one hour train Commuter Rail ride from Boston, after whatever transit related commute the average person has to get to South Station or Back Bay. Then you have to consider when the game starts and transfer times. Getting to a stadium in Providence could easily be two hours each way. Who is going to spend four hours commuting to and from a 90 minute game?

I am going to respond to the rest of your post later, but the actual stadium site in the Jewelry District would probably be here:

0ISFtNQ.png

A ten to twelve minute walk away.

CBS, it's clear that you're passionate about Providence. I think most people here would love to see Providence grow into a world class city, but you're never going to convince the majority of the archBoston forum that it will have the same commercial draw as a soccer hub that Boston would.

All of this is relevant because of the arguments you are making about Boston. You can't paint Boston as a bad market for reasons that are the result of a lackluster front office in order to make Providence look like a more attractive move.

The front office would never get away with even half of the things it currently does if Boston wasn't a bad market. That's my point.

The fans don't hold the team accountable, the media doesn't hold the team accountable, the politicians are all too willing to let themselves be strung along in decades-long 'talks' that go nowhere, and there's absolutely no incentive for the Krafts to do anything other than more of the same.

Revs fans need to get loud, and get angry about having smoke blowed up their asses re: soccer stadium for all this time. Whether that anger comes as skipping games or a media firestorm or anything else is irrelevant, they just need to make it clear that they're not going to keep going with the flow as it is today. When that starts happening, not only will the Krafts notice that they're not going to be allowed to get away with no commitment anymore, but I'll start believing that Boston's MLS market is getting stronger. Not before.

The Commuter Rail does not currently provide the same service as the rapid transit lines and there is nothing in the planning stages that is going to massively improve that kind of service. I don't feel like this is something that I need to argue.

I disagree with your assessment that there's nothing in the planning stages that is going to lead to a 30~35-minute trip time between South Station and Providence with a greatly increased number of actual trains on the line, but if you don't want to debate this point then fine.

You don't need to crunch any numbers because it isn't close. I'm not trying to short sell or insult Providence but it doesn't compete with Boston. I am sure that Providence has a lot of growth in its future but it isn't a major league city and thats OK!

It doesn't have to be close! It just has to be a move that we can make right now, and Boston has to be a move that won't happen for another decade or more. If both conditions are met, then it makes sense to go to Providence.

This is ridiculous. Bostonians, especially people who are only potential or theoretical fans of the team, are in no way responsible for lobbying Bob Kraft to put his stadium in the most sensible place. You keep shifting blame in all kinds of crazy directions and yet absolutely refuse to acknowledge that the front office is the source of the stadium problem.

The roughly 14,000 average people who attend Revs home games are absolutely in some way responsible for the current stadium situation. If that number was 1,400 and Kraft was bleeding money every single match, change would have happened already. It hasn't. If the 14,000 people showing up to matches took the time to bitch and complain about the stadium in person, change would have happened already. It hasn't.

The front office is the only party culpable for the team languishing in Foxbourough. Boston and Somerville are not stonewalling the Krafts by refusing to give them a free stadium.

No, but the Krafts are likely stonewalling Boston and Somerville because they feel that all the advantage is theirs, and they can wait out a favorable deal as long as it takes.

That statement is not coming off the heels of any Olympics discussion it happened because the World Cup is occurring. I have no idea why you are so skeptical of what the Mayors of Boston, Somerville, and Revere all say about a soccer stadium but you are totally fine with what the Revolution's front office says and take that at complete face value.

It can't be both? The World Cup triggered another round of media trolling by the Krafts on a stadium, and Walsh is putting out the statements that he is because he's thinking Olympics and stadium-recycling.

I'm skeptical of the front office too. They don't want to spend, and evidence of their cheapness goes well beyond the fact that they play in Gillette. They're at fault just as much as every other culpable party in this arrangement.

Saying that Boston is larger than Providence is not a dig or slight against Providence. Providence also clearly benefits from being close to Boston.

Any harsh language in this quotes probably has more to do with having to have this discussion than hate on Providence or Rhode Island.

CBS, it's clear that you're passionate about Providence. I think most people here would love to see Providence grow into a world class city, but you're never going to convince the majority of the archBoston forum that it will have the same commercial draw as a soccer hub that Boston would.

I'm not trying to.

I'm trying to convince the people here that a bird in the hand beats two in the bush, and that it's highly unlikely that a stadium is actually going to be built in Boston any time in this decade and probably also the next decade.

Sure, we might get enough people on board that a deal for a stadium happens, or we might end up being the last guy at the table and therefore stuck with the bill that is the 2024 Olympics, but it's far more likely that neither thing occurs and the Revs continue to languish for many years to come.

All I'm trying to get this thread to agree on is that, should I turn out to be right and no stadium deal happens in Boston (or Somerville, or Quincy, or anywhere else neighboring Boston...) for the next 10+ years, moving the Revs to Providence is the next best course of action. Providence is certainly not the best place to move them, but it's hardly the "seventh or eighth best."

Hey, I've got this friend I would like to set you up with. She is not as good looking, fun, or smart as I am, but she's got some good qualities. I know she can be a little dirty and unkempt, she is kind of corrupt, but she can be nice at times. She may ask for some money when you go out with her and she sometimes has a really empty feeling from time to time. She lives a little bit out of the way and her family really doesn't have any money, and she always is tying to compare herself to me. Her name is Providence. Do you want her number?

Hey, I've got this friend I would like to set you up with. She is not as good looking, fun, or smart as I am, but she's got some good qualities. I know she can be a little dirty and unkempt, she is kind of corrupt, but she can be nice at times. She may ask for some money when you go out with her and she sometimes has a really empty feeling from time to time. She lives a little bit out of the way and her family really doesn't have any money, and she always is tying to compare herself to me. Her name is Providence. Do you want her number?

I laughed.

I think most New Englanders view Providence as an upscale Worcester... which isn't much of an achievement or saying much at all.

Comparing Providence to Boston is like comparing Boston to NY.
But I don't think that's what CBS is doing. I think he's comparing Providence to Foxboro.

Comparing Providence to Boston is like comparing Boston to NY.
But I don't think that's what CBS is doing. I think he's comparing Providence to Foxboro.

The problem is ANYTHING compared to Foxboro is a win. Hell, even Quincy would be better.

Saying Providence is the best option because Foxboro is lousy is an exceptional case of tunnel vision. It is a waste of time to claim that Providence's only competition is Foxboro. Providence would be, at best, a 5th or 6th option behind Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, Revere and Quincy.

Why isn't Revere gunning for a stadium to be built on the Wonderland Dog Park parking lot? Would be right across the street from the Blue Line and would have enough parking.

I'm no relationship expert or psychologist, but it sounds like you've got a lot of other issues going on in your life. Personally, I'd try changing your delivery, or making new friends, but passive-aggressive forum posts featuring you projecting your anger at striking out all the time when looking for love probably isn't the best way to overcome your troubles.

That's just my two cents, anyway.

The problem is ANYTHING compared to Foxboro is a win. Hell, even Quincy would be better.

Saying Providence is the best option because Foxboro is lousy is an exceptional case of tunnel vision. It is a waste of time to claim that Providence's only competition is Foxboro. Providence would be, at best, a 5th or 6th option behind Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, Revere and Quincy.

This is literally the first time I've heard Cambridge mentioned in any soccer stadium discussion, and if we're going to introduce each and every one of the many suburbs that are all part of Boston in every way that counts already, we might as well throw in Chelsea, Brookline, Everett, Newton, and Watertown onto that list.

Boom! We did it! Providence is out of the top 10! Go us! I mean, we basically had to enter Boston into the race ten times over for the sake of declaring Providence not a top ten choice, but hey, whatever gets the job done.

Meanwhile, in the real world, Providence absolutely is the second best option after Boston (and Boston, and Boston, and Boston, and Boston, and Boston, and Boston, and Boston, and Boston, and Boston).

In fact, the same problems of a disaffected media and weak soccer market stretch over Greater Boston like many other things here do, irrespective of arbitrary municipal boundaries. Different politicians are in charge, but they've all displayed varying levels of disinterest or feigned interest with the exception of Somerville, and we've gone ten years with no substantial progress on a Somerville stadium. And in every case, almost all of the leverage is with a city that doesn't need a soccer team nearly as badly as the soccer team needs the city; which makes a deal unlikely since none of those municipalities are going to be in any particular hurry to get a deal done.

Providence is different. Providence absolutely needs the venue space, is going to be far more willing to get a deal done in the short term, and I don't doubt that it'll possible to work out a financial net-positive deal even assuming that the Revs pack up and move immediately once the, let's say, 25-year lease is up and Boston has built a soccer stadium of their own.

As I've said and as I'll continue to say, it's the second best option and not taking any option is probably going to destroy the franchise long before they've managed to stall out for the best option to become available. Allowing the franchise to be destroyed might just take MLS with it, and even if it doesn't, being the city that let an original franchise fail probably won't look very good on the resume for future expansion franchises that might otherwise have taken their place.

Even if the franchise isn't destroyed, things are only going to keep getting worse for the Revs every single day they stay in Foxboro. Is the ignominy of moving into Providence really worse than all of that? Is the opportunity cost of moving right now so great that we'd rather pay the opportunity cost of staying put for the next couple of decades?

Central Falls? That's a tiny and densely built little city -- where is there room in it to put a stadium?

I think the real issue that would make Kraft hesitate on really pushing for providence is that a successful providence team would likely make a boston team more likely and not preclude it. Some other ownership group would see the success and say wow imagine what I could get in an even bigger, richer, younger greater immigrant city 60 miles north and I think a quick demographic study of the providence revs games would show there aren't many fans from Suffolk and middlesex county.

And if the market is going to split, kraft will want the bigger half.

Kraft will get a stadium in or near Boston by 2025. If soccer is legitimately going to take off in this country and become a multi-billion dollar industry I cannot imagine how our state politicians would not want piece of that business in the state. Tax revenue, jobs, [Olympics,] etc. will drive finding a better location for the stadium.

As I've said and as I'll continue to say, it's the second best option and not taking any option is probably going to destroy the franchise long before they've managed to stall out for the best option to become available. Allowing the franchise to be destroyed might just take MLS with it, and even if it doesn't, being the city that let an original franchise fail probably won't look very good on the resume for future expansion franchises that might otherwise have taken their place.

[emphasis mine]

Now you're just venturing into the absurd.

I have before, and will again say my city would be a better place for a soccer stadium than Foxboro, and would argue it is a better location than PVD. Only better because of it's proximity to Boston, and being a pretty much midway point between both BOS and PVD.

Very diverse population of groups of people we associate with enjoying the game. A legitimate lot (the fairgrounds). Easy highway access (Rt 24 exit 17 to 123 is a straight shot to the fairgrounds). On the commuter rail (3 stops in the city). Very good mass transit system (yes it's a bus, but a very good private system).

I would put this as pie in the sky, but something any city council in a mid size city in the area should want to be a part of. But, I would definitely put this above PVD, yet below Somerville/Revere/Eastie. Only because those have true rapid transit connections, and attached to much larger populations, and other attractions/support for a sports venue.

I love providence, but not only want the Revs (or any pro team in 'New England') to stay in MA. Providence is just another drive to it locale. Yes, it's on the train, but that train ride is either too expensive (in general it looks like 29-60 bucks round trip on Amtrak some as cheap as 15 bucks or 21 bucks on the CR), or too long of a train ride (an hour from SS to PVD on the CR)

Being within a 20 mile radius to the main city (Boston) would be pretty much in line with most pro sports. Many of those places you might still be in the city limits at that point.

I'd put Cambridge out of the discussion for a few reasons, not least of all is that they have higher use potential than a stadium. The city is very small area wise, and is already very dense. Somerville is smaller and denser I know, but has the open parcels for it, and the willingness to welcome this I think more so than Cambridge.

I don't see a reason to not be in Quincy. It hadn't been mentioned before I don't think. The largest ethnic group there is Asian as we know, who as a group also seem to enjoy the sport, just not thought of first the same way we think of European/Mediterranean/African groups enjoying the sport. There is still a large amount of Irish in the area as well, and not just the typical 3-5 generation south shore ones we might think of. Quincy is well integrated into the T system, very diverse, etc.

All of these are better options than Foxboro. I might agree PVD is better than Foxboro if it was day one, but it's not. The stadium and sports related infrastructure is there. I don't see a major plus to building new in PVD and setting up a brand there as being better than either staying in Foxboro, or building in a community better suited for it and closer to the real population center.

PVD is what, the 3rd or 4th most populous New England city? There is a healthy population, with large immigrant percentages, in the surrounding cities like Fall River, New Bedford, Tiverton, Etc., but nothing that can touch the shear number of people in the greater Boston area. And those people are served by real mass transit.

Sorry the odds are not in your favor PVD.

The front office would never get away with even half of the things it currently does if Boston wasn't a bad market. That's my point.

The fans don't hold the team accountable, the media doesn't hold the team accountable, the politicians are all too willing to let themselves be strung along in decades-long 'talks' that go nowhere, and there's absolutely no incentive for the Krafts to do anything other than more of the same.

Revs fans need to get loud, and get angry about having smoke blowed up their asses re: soccer stadium for all this time. Whether that anger comes as skipping games or a media firestorm or anything else is irrelevant, they just need to make it clear that they're not going to keep going with the flow as it is today. When that starts happening, not only will the Krafts notice that they're not going to be allowed to get away with no commitment anymore, but I'll start believing that Boston's MLS market is getting stronger. Not before.

Again, its literally everyone's fault except for Bob Kraft.

I disagree with your assessment that there's nothing in the planning stages that is going to lead to a 30~35-minute trip time between South Station and Providence with a greatly increased number of actual trains on the line, but if you don't want to debate this point then fine.

Putting the stadium on the Commuter Rail will not change anything. Gillette Stadium is currently on the Commuter Rail and it doesn't do anything to help attendance because the Commuter Rail is expensive, time exhaustive, and difficult to use compared to rapid transit. People are clamoring for a stadium located on rapid transit because they want to use rapid transit to get them to games.

It doesn't have to be close! It just has to be a move that we can make right now, and Boston has to be a move that won't happen for another decade or more. If both conditions are met, then it makes sense to go to Providence.

I don't think I've addressed this argument before, but moving to Providence temporarily doesn't seem to be a sensible option. Why invest in a stadium and a fanbase if you are planning on moving somewhere better in the near future? Why would anyone in Providence root for a team they know will move away and why would the front office care so little about establishing a solid brand and history for the team by yanking them around New England.

The roughly 14,000 average people who attend Revs home games are absolutely in some way responsible for the current stadium situation. If that number was 1,400 and Kraft was bleeding money every single match, change would have happened already. It hasn't. If the 14,000 people showing up to matches took the time to bitch and complain about the stadium in person, change would have happened already. It hasn't.

Again, its literally everyone's fault except for Bob Kraft.

No, but the Krafts are likely stonewalling Boston and Somerville because they feel that all the advantage is theirs, and they can wait out a favorable deal as long as it takes.

Yes. Bob Kraft is stonewalling and he is at fault for this process taking so long. This is the singular reason why a stadium hasn't been built. At the end of every single day it is Bob Kraft's decision not to build a stadium or engage in good faith negotiation.

I'm skeptical of the front office too. They don't want to spend, and evidence of their cheapness goes well beyond the fact that they play in Gillette. They're at fault just as much as every other culpable party in this arrangement.

No, they aren't just as much at fault as every other culpable party in this arrangement because there are no other culpable parties.

I'm not trying to.

I'm trying to convince the people here that a bird in the hand beats two in the bush, and that it's highly unlikely that a stadium is actually going to be built in Boston any time in this decade and probably also the next decade.

Sure, we might get enough people on board that a deal for a stadium happens, or we might end up being the last guy at the table and therefore stuck with the bill that is the 2024 Olympics, but it's far more likely that neither thing occurs and the Revs continue to languish for many years to come.

All I'm trying to get this thread to agree on is that, should I turn out to be right and no stadium deal happens in Boston (or Somerville, or Quincy, or anywhere else neighboring Boston...) for the next 10+ years, moving the Revs to Providence is the next best course of action. Providence is certainly not the best place to move them, but it's hardly the "seventh or eighth best."

Providence is not a bird though. It isn't a wise business decision, it isn't a decision that would be supported by the league, and it isn't a decision that Bob Kraft would even likely be interested in the first place.

I'm no relationship expert or psychologist, but it sounds like you've got a lot of other issues going on in your life. Personally, I'd try changing your delivery, or making new friends, but passive-aggressive forum posts featuring you projecting your anger at striking out all the time when looking for love probably isn't the best way to overcome your troubles.

That's just my two cents, anyway.

WTF?

This is literally the first time I've heard Cambridge mentioned in any soccer stadium discussion, and if we're going to introduce each and every one of the many suburbs that are all part of Boston in every way that counts already, we might as well throw in Chelsea, Brookline, Everett, Newton, and Watertown onto that list.

Boom! We did it! Providence is out of the top 10! Go us! I mean, we basically had to enter Boston into the race ten times over for the sake of declaring Providence not a top ten choice, but hey, whatever gets the job done.

Meanwhile, in the real world, Providence absolutely is the second best option after Boston (and Boston, and Boston, and Boston, and Boston, and Boston, and Boston, and Boston, and Boston, and Boston).

I recall that there was discussion about a stadium near Alewife, probably in this very thread.

Also the point of including Somerville, Revere, or Quincy in these sorts of discussion is because they have viable locations for a stadium near the T. It has nothing to do with any conspiratorial agenda against Providence.

In fact, the same problems of a disaffected media and weak soccer market stretch over Greater Boston like many other things here do, irrespective of arbitrary municipal boundaries. Different politicians are in charge, but they've all displayed varying levels of disinterest or feigned interest with the exception of Somerville, and we've gone ten years with no substantial progress on a Somerville stadium. And in every case, almost all of the leverage is with a city that doesn't need a soccer team nearly as badly as the soccer team needs the city; which makes a deal unlikely since none of those municipalities are going to be in any particular hurry to get a deal done.

You keep repeating these things over and over again to make Boston look like shit and Providence look like gold. I believe these accusations about Boston as a soccer market and about Boston area politician's interests have been covered in many other posts in this argument already.

Providence is different. Providence absolutely needs the venue space, is going to be far more willing to get a deal done in the short term, and I don't doubt that it'll possible to work out a financial net-positive deal even assuming that the Revs pack up and move immediately once the, let's say, 25-year lease is up and Boston has built a soccer stadium of their own.

Who is going to support a major league sports team that is only going to last 25 years and is only in their city to take advantage of their desperation? None of this actually sounds good for Providence and it seems to me that the basis of this argument is to fustily prove that Providence is a major league city.

Even if the franchise isn't destroyed, things are only going to keep getting worse for the Revs every single day they stay in Foxboro. Is the ignominy of moving into Providence really worse than all of that?

Miami let an original franchise die and yet MLS and David Beckham are very interested in getting an expansion team up and running in Miami. This is because they are very aware of the problems that lead the original team to its doom (mainly being unaccessible and far away from the urban core!)

If the Revolution were to die then MLS would immediately seek to get an expansion team going in Boston. Frankly, if the Revolution were to die it would be because MLS took the team away in order to move it to Boston.

Is the opportunity cost of moving right now so great that we'd rather pay the opportunity cost of staying put for the next couple of decades?

I don't think you have made any compelling argument that getting a stadium deal in the next ten years is impossible. You have either accused Boston area politicians of being uninterested in a soccer stadium (which there does not seem to be any evidence) or have blamed them for not giving the Krafts a free stadium built on top of low income housing.

Back