New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Re: Somerville Soccer Stadium

Sooo... the reason that there were 30,000 tix sold for that game is because EVERY SINGLE FREAKING town YSA, middle school, and high school soccer team in the state were there last night lol. Was a good time all around though. I just wish the fans in the regular seating would get into the chants from The Fort more. It was too quiet in the stands. Hopefully the playoffs will motivate the fans to get into it more. I wish we could get it going like Montreal gets Stade Saptuo rocking.

Sooo... the reason that there were 30,000 tix sold for that game is because EVERY SINGLE FREAKING town YSA, middle school, and high school soccer team in the state were there last night lol. Was a good time all around though. I just wish the fans in the regular seating would get into the chants from The Fort more. It was too quiet in the stands. Hopefully the playoffs will motivate the fans to get into it more. I wish we could get it going like Montreal gets Stade Saptuo rocking.

This +1

Yeah, it seems like that happens just about every year, although last game was a bigger than average bump. I doubt that Revolution will be pulling anything close to 30,000 on average anytime soon.

I mentioned this before in the Suffolk Downs Redevelopment thread, but would it be at all feasible to reuse the grandstand portion of the Suffolk Downs racetrack and build it into a soccer-specific stadium for the Revs? This is what the Portland Timbers did with a former baseball stadium.

This is an intriguing idea, but it may be difficult based on accessibility and other code requirements (I'm not sure how they would apply to a re-purposing like this). I was walking up and down the grandstands there about a month ago and there are a lot of issues like 10" risers, riser heights varying like crazy, bumps everywhere, etc.

I do like the covered grandstand aspect of it though - it would feel very English.

Re: Site in Hub top choice for a soccer stadium

staidum.jpg

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/11/18/krafts-exploring-soccer-stadium-boston/s7p5krvDeH1J7UgjlEIFtM/story.html

New news

Planning is quietly underway for construction of a soccer stadium in Boston, one that would bring the resurgent New England Revolution closer to its urban fan base, according to people familiar with the Kraft family’s search for a site.

Among the sites under consideration is a strip of city-owned land off Interstate 93 on Frontage Road, where Boston has a large yard for towed cars and public works. The South Boston property offers easy access from major highways and is near the MBTA’s Red Line as well as rail lines at nearby South Station.

staidum.jpg

^damn, you beat me to it. I didn't know this thread existed.

Why so much parking and why the weird location? This should be built in the Seaport...

Five bucks says the Krafts use the IOC TV money to build an Olympic stadium and deck, take down the entire Olympic stadium post games (as is required to get the IOC TV money), and then build a completely new soccer stadium on the site. I don't have my spreadsheets with me (or spreadsheets period), but I'd guess the money adds up as closely as a multibillion dollar project can add up. Five more bucks say the reason we're getting this story now is to capitalize on Peak Revs News Coverage to draw attention to the long term benefits we'd be getting post games as a means to build support for the Olympics. Who knows if that works though.

One new thing I saw in the story: they're thinking light rail? I had heard the plan was to de-clusterfuck the Track 51 DMU for the Seaport dinky. Maybe they've realized it's problematic and are thinking, and this is getting into the realm of crazy transit pitch hopefulness, Green Line Extension via the Orange line out through Seaport to Southie? We can dream, I guess.

Last edited:

Five bucks says the Krafts use the IOC TV money to build an Olympic stadium and deck, take down the entire Olympic stadium post games (as is required to get the IOC TV money), and then build a completely new soccer stadium on the site. I don't have my spreadsheets with me (or spreadsheets period), but I'd guess the money adds up as closely as a multibillion dollar project can add up. Five more bucks say the reason we're getting this story know is to capitalize on Peak Revs News Coverage to draw attention to the long term benefits we'd be getting post games as a means to build support for the Olympics. Who knows if that works though.

One new thing I saw in the story: they're thinking light rail? I had heard the plan was to de-clusterfuck the Track 51 DMU for the Seaport dinky. Maybe they've realized it's problematic and are thinking, and this is getting into the realm of crazy transit pitch hopefulness, Green Line Extension via the Orange line out through Seaport to Southie? We can dream, I guess.

I was going to say, isn't this the exact same spot they were proposing for the Olympic stadium?

Light rail sounds nice hut iffy. What's the chance this would he the correction/connection of the silver line? It already goes to Herald square correct. A dead end spur would suck because of it's single purpose. A real continuation of the south station tunnel and conversion to light rail would be my ultimate pipe dream for this.

I was going to say, isn't this the exact same spot they were proposing for the Olympic stadium?

North of it per the article. This is mainly empty versus widett circle which is currently occupied. But having the major outdoor sports stadia for the games would make sense. Much like court 1 next to centre court at Wimbledon.

^ You beat me to it. I saw this on my feed when I woke up this morning.

OH. MY. GOD.

Reasons I think Kraft is getting more serious about this:
1.) Invested in a DP this year (JJ)
2.) Record attendance numbers this year at home
3.) Was at Gillette to watch the Revs clinch the Eastern Conf. semi-finals against Crew
4.) Revs management/Brian Bilello authorized free buses for all 1,150 available away seats at Red Bull Arena this weekend. ALL SEATS SOLD OUT.

I think Kraft is waking up and realizing that he has something really good in his hands. The fanbase is larger and more fired up than ever.

Last edited:

Great location, and very cool that it is the Krafts themselves pushing for this, not just fans theorizing/suggesting. I wonder how this impacts plans for nearby Olympic facilities.

Great location, and very cool that it is the Krafts themselves pushing for this, not just fans theorizing/suggesting. I wonder how this impacts plans for nearby Olympic facilities.

This was discussed as a rumor on the Boston 2024 thread last month - Kraft would get the development rights to this lot in exchange for contributions to an Olympic Stadium at Widett. Theoretically, both could be standing in 2024, with the Revs stadium hosting preliminary soccer and perhaps some other field-based things (tennis, perhaps)?

You know what?

Never mind. It isn't worth it.

I'm just going to leave you all with this thought instead of the angry post I was originally going to write: none of you have any guarantee that this isn't just going to be a bait-and-switch for a Gillette Stadium replacement. The complete control that Kraft has over the burgeoning "lifestyle center" in Foxboro doesn't even begin to cover the difference relative to what he could be pulling down from a lifestyle center accessible to the entire urban core, and the Revolution will never be able to sell out a 60,000 or 70,000 or 80,000 seat stadium the way the Patriots can and do. The amount of parking proposed is more than enough space to satisfy the tailgating requirement, and the Krafts will be able to charge $50+ per space 365 days a year, instead of 8.

I don't even like football (either football), and I'd rather see zero new stadiums built, but from a simple business/math perspective there's simply no reason to waste valuable downtown real estate on a 20,000 seat "soccer-specific" stadium if you're Bob Kraft and you control both franchises and you have at least four times the raw earning potential if you build the 80,000 seat NFL stadium instead. Modern NFL stadiums have a life expectancy of about 30 years - Gillette is due for replacement on a time table that lines up quite nicely with the time table for working through the political and engineering challenges associated with this particular parcel.

I'd be stunned, honestly stunned, if this turned into a soccer stadium. I expect that it's going to mutate into Gillette 2.0, and the Krafts will finally get their downtown Boston stadium that they wanted for Gillette 1.0. Remember, it was only NIMBY opposition to the South Boston proposal that sent "the Pats" out of town the first time.

25 years from now, while the Patriots are celebrating their moving in to their new digs within spitting distance of South Station, we'll all still be arguing over a Somerville Soccer Stadium and I bet a few of the more devoted fans in this thread are going to be shaking their heads over what a massive injustice it is that the second-string soccer franchise is still a road team on their own home field that belongs to the Patriots first and forever.

I'm done with this thread. Good luck to everyone still posting here and I hope you all have fun dreaming about the new soccer stadium, but please do consider what I've said here.

You know what?

Never mind. It isn't worth it.

I'm just going to leave you all with this thought instead of the angry post I was originally going to write: none of you have any guarantee that this isn't just going to be a bait-and-switch for a Gillette Stadium replacement. The complete control that Kraft has over the burgeoning "lifestyle center" in Foxboro doesn't even begin to cover the difference relative to what he could be pulling down from a lifestyle center accessible to the entire urban core, and the Revolution will never be able to sell out a 60,000 or 70,000 or 80,000 seat stadium the way the Patriots can and do. The amount of parking proposed is more than enough space to satisfy the tailgating requirement, and the Krafts will be able to charge $50+ per space 365 days a year, instead of 8.

I don't even like football (either football), and I'd rather see zero new stadiums built, but from a simple business/math perspective there's simply no reason to waste valuable downtown real estate on a 20,000 seat "soccer-specific" stadium if you're Bob Kraft and you control both franchises and you have at least four times the raw earning potential if you build the 80,000 seat NFL stadium instead. Modern NFL stadiums have a life expectancy of about 30 years - Gillette is due for replacement on a time table that lines up quite nicely with the time table for working through the political and engineering challenges associated with this particular parcel.

I'd be stunned, honestly stunned, if this turned into a soccer stadium. I expect that it's going to mutate into Gillette 2.0, and the Krafts will finally get their downtown Boston stadium that they wanted for Gillette 1.0. Remember, it was only NIMBY opposition to the South Boston proposal that sent "the Pats" out of town the first time.

25 years from now, while the Patriots are celebrating their moving in to their new digs within spitting distance of South Station, we'll all still be arguing over a Somerville Soccer Stadium and I bet a few of the more devoted fans in this thread are going to be shaking their heads over what a massive injustice it is that the second-string soccer franchise is still a road team on their own home field that belongs to the Patriots first and forever.

I see what you are saying, but that area is just not big enough for an NFL stadium. Even if you could shoehorn the larger stadium, you would never have enough parking. Kraft will probably put shopping in there to get traffic year round, but I would never see this site morphing into an NFL stadium.

Remember that when Kraft was trying to build a stadium in south Boston there was nothing there but parking lots, perfect for a stadium.

Back