New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Re: Somerville Soccer Stadium

You can't fit an NFL stadium there. The mockups here make that pretty obvious: http://thedrugisfootball.com/2014/11/18/why-this-revolution-stadium-news-is-different/

And even if you could, who cares? That area's always going to be divided from the city by train yards and highway. The idea that you're going to extend Southie or the South End into that spot is crazy. Maybe in a 100 years with billions of dollars worth of highway restructuring and train yard decking, but not anytime soon or in our lifetimes. If your main concern is wasting money, the amount of money spent on a neighborhood-ization project is going to be WAY larger than a (admittedly large, but no where near as complex or expensive) stadium project.

Re: Site in Hub top choice for a soccer stadium

Beacon Yards would also be a pretty good location. But then the Krafts would have to negotiate with Harvard.

going to be a whole lot of drinking in this thread

Also probably should just rename this thread, Revolution Stadium. This way whatever locale which is being discussed can be housed in the same thread.

You can't fit an NFL stadium there. The mockups here make that pretty obvious: http://thedrugisfootball.com/2014/11/18/why-this-revolution-stadium-news-is-different/

Wow, is that a leak (though probably an intentional one). Now, for all we know the Krafts hired Populous to do a study of 10 possible sites, each of which has renders and analysis like that. It does mean, though, that there is an active search ongoing, which seemed pretty unlikely to us until today.

You both cannot physically fit an NFL stadium on that site, and Populous isn't the kind of company that plays along with lies by producing detailed site plans. This is pretty real.

I see what you are saying, but that area is just not big enough for an NFL stadium. Even if you could shoehorn the larger stadium, you would never have enough parking. Kraft will probably put shopping in there to get traffic year round, but I would never see this site morphing into an NFL stadium.

Remember that when Kraft was trying to build a stadium in south Boston there was nothing there but parking lots, perfect for a stadium.

That is only the BTD headquarters and tow lot...no MBTA property. Although at its very widest point it only tops out at about 500 ft. wide...and doesn't stay at that width long enough to fit a rectangular stadium. So there'll have to be other moves to carve out a rectangle. Most likely they can achieve that by eminent domaining the cold storage warehouse that's making a royal mess of neighborhood politics with their big recycling center redev plan. If they paid those owners to scram, leveled the storage building, and pulled the commuter rail loop tracks in tangent where they tie back into the Fairmount Line tracks next to the long/thin T maint building instead of snaking around the warehouse they've probably got the parcel shape they need to fit the stadium.

That rendering is silly, however, if they think there's anywhere near enough parking or parking access left at the ground level on the remaining space not taken up by the stadium. That's gonna have to go vertical in a hurry, with all the requisite cripple fights that entails with Southie pols over the "H"-word. :rolleyes:

Re: Parking
It looks about as much as Fenway has, and this stadium is half the size of Fenway with a less suburban demo. Seems like that works as well as anything to me.

That is only the BTD headquarters and tow lot...no MBTA property. Although at its very widest point it only tops out at about 500 ft. wide...and doesn't stay at that width long enough to fit a rectangular stadium. So there'll have to be other moves to carve out a rectangle. Most likely they can achieve that by eminent domaining the cold storage warehouse that's making a royal mess of neighborhood politics with their big recycling center redev plan. If they paid those owners to scram, leveled the storage building, and pulled the commuter rail loop tracks in tangent where they tie back into the Fairmount Line tracks next to the long/thin T maint building instead of snaking around the warehouse they've probably got the parcel shape they need to fit the stadium.

That rendering is silly, however, if they think there's anywhere near enough parking or parking access left at the ground level on the remaining space not taken up by the stadium. That's gonna have to go vertical in a hurry, with all the requisite cripple fights that entails with Southie pols over the "H"-word. :rolleyes:

Looks like Populous (an expert on stadiums) fit it without impacting anything.

From the TDIF link:
stadium1.jpg

stadium2.jpg

stadium3.jpg

The only thing I don't like about this proposal is you are required to walk across a sea of parking to access the stadium. So instead of Broadway turning into the soccer version of Fenway, it will feel far more disconnected.

While it would require the stands to cantilever over the railroad tracks, I think pushing the stadium further north to form a streetwall along W. 4th St would be far better for the area. This could also be accomplished by developing the site between the stadium and W 4th. I wonder if that's what the colors represent on the pics above.

If Kraft et al. think they can fit a stadium on that site, why not put it on the Globe site?

They're also proposing municipal lots underneath 93 to share the load, if you squint at the images.

The only thing I don't like about this proposal is you are required to walk across a sea of parking to access the stadium. So instead of Broadway turning into the soccer version of Fenway, it will feel far more disconnected.

It's a pretty minor sea though, this isn't Foxborough levels of parking lots or anything.

Looks like Populous (an expert on stadiums) fit it without impacting anything.

From the TDIF link:
stadium1.jpg

stadium2.jpg

stadium3.jpg

Yeah, I saw that. The stadium can no doubt fit. Their expectations of surrounding greenspace are a little unrealistic, though (but when has that ever not been the case?).

The parking is problematic. I don't think you can or should rely that much on Albany St. as primary access point. The residents of that neighborhood would justifiably have big problems that. South Bay doesn't get any less an eyesore, so why doesn't it tap the under-capacity Frontage Roads enough from the pre-built Big Dig eyesore? The only other way to add access points is from higher-than ground level where Frontage N and Mass Ave. Connector can share the loads and spare Albany a lot of the pain. Which means going vertical.

I don't think that's a bad thing, though. It's high-value parking real estate that can collect revenue 24/7. Don't waste it at ground level in an asphalt pit that puts traffic on city streets. It's on the highway...use the highway infrastructure by taking it all multi-level. More room for all kinds of human-unusable but pretty-to-look-at greenspace on the W 4th side that way.

Re: Site in Hub top choice for a soccer stadium

From my understanding this is very separate from the potential olympic stadium site; meaning both could exist at the same time. A stadium built after 2024 would kill a lot of revs fans (including myself).

This thread should merge with the somerville thread.
maybe with "Potential Soccer Specific Stadium Location" as the title

I'd prefer a parking garage with some ground level retail (restaurants, bars, etc) and a surface lot dedicated for tailgating instead of the small sea of surface parking.

Re: Revolution in Boston?

Sorry, I don't follow the Boston threads much, but just came across this online.

I'd prefer a parking garage with some ground level retail (restaurants, bars, etc) and a surface lot dedicated for tailgating instead of the small sea of surface parking.

I agree but it looks like there is a ramp down and there will be parking under the stadium too.

Looking at the map, though, this is super isolated. even between southie, south end and south station. Go to north station area on a non-event night and check those bars out. Empty and it is infinitely more accessible and surrounded then some sports bars would be here. The parking isn't bad covering train tracks and ramps and a tow lot. Plus, Southie and south end are close enough you can have a cool march from the neighborhood through the parking lot, picking up people, and into the stadium.

Back