Possible new downtown hotel

portlandneedsnewarena

Reaction score
I am told that a group owned by Wayne Huizenga (owns Miami Dolphins, Blockbuster Video, former hotel developer) has made a serious inquiry on the lower portion of the large parking lot where 1 & 2 Portland Square are located. They are interested in building a large hotel.

Very interesting. I'm not sure how much more hotel stock the city can absorb, especially in the winter. Keep us posted.

Max said:
Very interesting. I'm not sure how much more hotel stock the city can absorb, especially in the winter. Keep us posted.
That was my first question. Why does Portland need another hotel and the answer I got was the demand is there. I could see the need if we had a mid-sized convention center. But Baldacci took care of that! :x
I would like to see Portland get a really high level hotel w/ a large first class ballroom. Something on a much higher level than we currently have.

when you say large, do you mean height wise or capacity wise (or both, or not necessarily either)? That sounds good. I guess the demand would be there especially now that the westin has fallen through. and especially for that area, the demand would seem more stable than, say, elsewhere downtown, but especially off the peninsula. any word on three portland square? also, i thought i read something about that parcel being eyed for a new arena by the current property owner and civic center trustees. maybe if someone else swoops in on it portland will get the ball rolling and realize that they cannot hold back on the arena forever because all developable land will vanish in the coming years.

I would believe that from May - October there is plenty of demand for hotel rooms in Portland, and in fact enough to support more hotel stock.

I just think that January - March has got to be a very difficult time to be in the hotel business in coastal Maine. Sure you can cut back on staff during the winter but most quality hotels try to maintain quality year-round staff.

I do think Portland could support an ultra-high end hotel, something along the lines of a Hotel W or a Ritz-Carlton or something.

in that area, the hotel will do fine. think of it like this, as i do: even if there is not the true demand at this time of year, being located in that spot will simply draw customers off of the existing hotels that are not so conveniently located, and thus it will be the other hotels that flop, and not this new one. and thats okay with me because they have already been built! haha.

Patrick said:
when you say large, do you mean height wise or capacity wise (or both, or not necessarily either)? That sounds good. I guess the demand would be there especially now that the westin has fallen through. and especially for that area, the demand would seem more stable than, say, elsewhere downtown, but especially off the peninsula. any word on three portland square? also, i thought i read something about that parcel being eyed for a new arena by the current property owner and civic center trustees. maybe if someone else swoops in on it portland will get the ball rolling and realize that they cannot hold back on the arena forever because all developable land will vanish in the coming years.

3 PS is still being discussed but no firm commitments from a major tenant yet which would be necessary to make it happen.
Did not elaborate on large, but I would think it would be more in the way of height because of the possibility of 3PS. I would like to see a top of the hotel 360 degree view restaurant.

Mr. newarena brings some good news. That would be right out my window. I would love to wake up to cranes. They need to get the ball rolling on this whole giant sea of parking lot out here. Everytime I go outside I look and say, what a damn waste. What other city would you have giant parking lots in the core of it's downtown?

A woman who is a kinda mentally retarded came into my shop and was talking about how she met that guy who owns the Dolphins. He ended up getting her address and sending her tickets to a game and an autographed ball and stuff. Really nice for just a stranger walking up to someone.

The Hilton Garden Inn is full all year. One right here would do very well. They should just convert ghetto Holiday Inn into condos or apartments.

holiday inn may not be the best on the inside, but it is a pioneer amongst the city's high rises -- its one of the oldest. it was around before the boom of the 1980s, and for that we must look to it as an example. my guess is that whatever was originally proposed for the holiday inn site was taller, and 11 stories is the final product. these days, with a much greater surrounding population, and a way better reputation, it seems like if an 11-story building was proposed in that area whoever did it would be locked up for crimes against humanity. I say build a 14 story on that site. that is such a waste...many nights at borus i have sat on that deck just wondering ... why? but you would be very surprised at how many cities have parking lots in their cores like that. but i agree that one is very bad, worse than most even. and it doesnt seem like it will disappear anytime in the next ten years, despite this recent news.

Interesting. Do they own other hotels already? We could use a "W hotel" or a Hyatt or something.

Corey said:
Interesting. Do they own other hotels already? We could use a "W hotel" or a Hyatt or something.
If you look up Wayne Huizenga in Wikipedia it says that he sold his ownership interest in hotels back in 2004. He built Extended Stay America to 60 + locations & other hotels he was involved in were Hyatt, Radisson & Boca Raton Resort among others.
I say develop that whole parking lot w/ a Convention Center attached to the hotel.

Patrick have you ever heard anything more about Waterview? Is it totally dead?

Yes, I say develop that whole lot, too. But, adding a convention center would only make sense if the hotel is really first class and can not only accommodate, but also draw in, the large crowds of business people etc that a convention center would require to thrive. Otherwise I say attach it to a new arena when one is built, like in bayside or something. That would make our arena grander, and it would add event traffic to the area in which it is built.

And no, I have not heard anything more about waterview. However, the signs are still up and there has been no announcement about selling the land or anything (like the Westin) so I assume it is still in the process of an up-hill battle.

The last I heard, about two months ago, was that waterview had deposits on two thirds of the units, had won its court battle, and was now trying to tie up some last minute things with construction anticipated for next sumer. I think the reason this has not been more publicized is that in the past, as we all know, "tying up last minute things" can mean much more, in fact it can mean enough to delay the whole thing by a couple years. we'll have to wait and see on this one, but i remain 50-50 hopeful.

Court gives go-ahead to Bayside condos
By ELBERT AULL Staff Writer
Portland Press Herald (ME) August 8, 2006
Page B1

The Maine Supreme Judicial Court has upheld Portland's approval of a condominium project, rejecting an argument that the proposed Waterview complex would unfairly reduce property values at nearby Back Bay Tower.

The ruling upholds a lower court's decision against Back Bay's owner, Seaforth Housing of California, which sought to have the Planning Board's approval of Jeffrey Cohen's Waterview project overturned.

Market Stalls, Condos Follow

Oct. 17, 2006

"The passage of time has been a mixed blessing for Jeff Cohen and Waterview Development LLC.
His company has been trying for nearly two years to build a 12-story, 94-unit project on Cumberland Avenue. He endured a court challenge from neighbors, which lasted more than a year. Now he's negotiating a construction loan and said he hopes to break ground this spring on the $25 million project. Roughly two-thirds of the units are under contract, he said, for prices ranging from $285,000 to $495,000.
The delay hurt him, Cohen said, because construction prices rose and demand softened. But in the long run, he said, the market should be in better shape when he starts building next year."
Staff Writer Tux Turkel can be contacted at 791-6462 or at:
tturkel@pressherald.com

Patrick said:
Yes, I say develop that whole lot, too. But, adding a convention center would only make sense if the hotel is really first class and can not only accommodate, but also draw in, the large crowds of business people etc that a convention center would require to thrive. Otherwise I say attach it to a new arena when one is built, like in bayside or something. That would make our arena grander, and it would add event traffic to the area in which it is built.

And no, I have not heard anything more about waterview. However, the signs are still up and there has been no announcement about selling the land or anything (like the Westin) so I assume it is still in the process of an up-hill battle.

The last I heard, about two months ago, was that waterview had deposits on two thirds of the units, had won its court battle, and was now trying to tie up some last minute things with construction anticipated for next sumer. I think the reason this has not been more publicized is that in the past, as we all know, "tying up last minute things" can mean much more, in fact it can mean enough to delay the whole thing by a couple years. we'll have to wait and see on this one, but i remain 50-50 hopeful.
I can't see adding another 3 to 3.5 star hotel to the downtown, the only way to go would be a 4.5 to 5 star hotel and my guess would be that if Wayne Huizenga is involved that it might just be an upper scale hotel.
I am not holding my breath about a new arena anytime soon. I suspect when the next Portland Pirates lease expires, which I think is in another 3 years (after this season) that they may threaten to leave town if a new building is not in the works by then.

I think we need a big name hotel here. Something urban and professional. I do think the convention center should be down here near the water near all the old port attractions. The civic center can go anywhere really.

Check out www.thebollard.com today for some good info on the stupid zoning for chains proposal. Talks about how there has been interest to put a movie theater down around Marginal Way. Good idea but it should be an IMAX so it is different than than the Nick. The Nick just renovated and I would feel bad for them.

Also on thebollard Patrick can learn about the fall of his favorite bar, Right Proper Charlies. Already closing. Sorry dude. At least we are getting Uncle Billy's BBQ back to Portland, on Congress St. Tough competition for Norm's.

oh thats too bad. i was wondering why everyone was looking at me strange when me and my fellas showed up in our clubbin outfits only to find tea sipping old farts last thursday. yeah yeah, i expected some finger lickin good sanford girls with spaced teeth and skin color that matched their hair to be waving bony butts in the window, but i got charlies instead! jeesh, the nerve.

Any news on Wayne? He's been busy reconstructing his shitty Miami Dolphins. I saw him on the news last week when the coach quit.

portlandneedsnewarena said:
I am told that a group owned by Wayne Huizenga (owns Miami Dolphins, Blockbuster Video, former hotel developer) has made a serious inquiry on the lower portion of the large parking lot where 1 & 2 Portland Square are located. They are interested in building a large hotel.
The owner of the property has 3 letters of intent to build a high end, long term stay hotel on the lower part of the large parking lot by 1 & 2 Portland Square. Part of the requirements is that they have to replace w/ a parking garage the amount of spaces that they take up w/ the hotel. One of the groups is W. Huizenga's. That's all I know about the proposed project.

Back