Proposal to replace Seville Theatre in East Boston

Ron Newman

Reaction score
from the Boston Sunday Globe City Weekly

539w.jpg

An architect's vision of the Seville at Boston Harbor. The project would have 65 apartments, 47 underground parking spaces, and 15,000 square feet of retail space. (Photo: GLOBAL PROPERTY DEVELOPERS CORP.)

A new act in store for Seville Theater
Residential, retail plan offered by developers

By Elizabeth Gehrman, Globe Correspondent | March 9, 2008

In its heyday, the Seville Theater in East Boston's Central Square was beautiful to behold. "The ceiling was dark blue with little white lights, so you felt like you were under the stars," recalls Roberta Marchi, 64, membership director at the East Boston YMCA. "There were little Italianate balconies, and I definitely remember a Venus de Milo statue."

Built in 1929, the theater was falling into disrepair by the 1960s and '70s, and today, the building that once housed it is "a blight," according to Marchi. On the back, running along Border Street, the stark brick facade rises darkly over neighboring structures; its first level is stuccoed with dull cement and painted gray in parts. The front of the building, once a grand entrance to the Seville's chandeliered lobby, has long since been bricked over and has given way to storefronts, currently Bancomercio and La Esperanza Market on Meridian Street.

Though the interior is closed to visitors for insurance reasons, photographs sent by the building's owner, businessman Vincent Lombardo, show plaster crumbling down to the rebar, 30-foot walls stripped to the cement blocks, and unremarkable wooden stairwells maculated with graffiti.

The Seville's fate mirrors that of much of the neighborhood. "We're in the business of historic preservation," says Clark Moulaison, executive director of East Boston Main Streets. "Problem is, there's nothing left to preserve. There are a few churches, and the public library, but many of the places were either burned or the top floors were removed from the 1960s through the '80s."

Still, with young professionals flocking to Eastie, the cry has gone up for more and better restaurants, retail, and market-value housing. A new building project aims to provide some of that at the site of the old Seville.

Currently in review at the Boston Redevelopment Authority, the project, known as the Seville at Boston Harbor, would knock down the old theater and in its the footprint, as well as that of three neighboring structures, build 65 units of studio and one- and two-bedroom apartments, 47 underground parking spaces, and approximately 15,000 square feet of retail space. The development would rise six stories, to approximately 2 feet above the current structure's height, but would be stepped back from the street. The current elevation, subject to change once neighbors have their say, shows a glass-filled brick design with balconies and modern lines.

After being disappointed by the pullout or delay of several other proposed condo and retail projects since the market downturn of the past couple of years, many in the neighborhood support the project.

"People in East Boston are despondent over the fact that every time these big projects are announced, they don't go forward," said Carl Pearson, vice president of Global Property Developers Corp., which is proposing the project with Lombardo Cos. "This is a smaller project, and it's doable. It's not going to sit on the books like other stuff that's dependent on a revitalized economy. We want to propose a project that meets the market and will go forward."

East Boston City Councilor Sal LaMattina hopes the development will mark the beginning of the revitalization of an area that is long overdue for it.

"We need to do something," he said. "Meridian is a beautiful street. It just needs a little attention. This might be the shot in the arm it needs at this time. And I'm sure the bigger developers will look at this project with a view to their own, if it succeeds."

State Senator Anthony Petruccelli, Democrat for the First Suffolk District, which includes East Boston, agrees. "It's important to have new investment in these business districts," he said, "and it's been a long time since we've seen something like that."

Of course, not everyone in the neighborhood is enchanted with the idea of knocking down the Seville. Some believe that the theater can be saved and are concerned that there has not yet been an independent review of its condition. There is still time for those residents to have their say: The Redevelopment Authority has scheduled a neighborhood meeting regarding the plan for March 19 - location not yet announced - and residents have until April 2 to comment on it. A second hearing may be held by the city's Landmarks Commission, which has yet to determine whether the Seville has any historic or architectural significance.

At those meetings, developers will present the plan in full to the community.

"We want to hold their feet to the fire," said Moulaison, "and make sure this construction doesn't adversely affect abutters, particularly the nearby library, or the traffic situation on Meridian Street.

"Personally, yeah, I feel bad about losing the Seville," he continued. "I remember watching the Three Stooges there. But the fact of the matter is it's been decaying for decades. Romanticizing a small sliver of what it was like 35 years ago is not going to bring back those days. We've got to move forward."

For location information on the March 19 meeting, check http://cityofboston.gov/bra/calendar/calendar.asp

Some photos of the Seville Theatre, taken by Lee Eiseman in April 2003:

seville1.jpg

seville2.jpg

Last edited:
Built in 1929, the theater was falling into disrepair by the 1960s and '70s, and today, the building that once housed it is "a blight," according to Marchi. On the back, running along Border Street, the stark brick facade rises darkly over neighboring structures; its first level is stuccoed with dull cement and painted gray in parts. The front of the building, once a grand entrance to the Seville's chandeliered lobby, has long since been bricked over and has given way to storefronts, currently Bancomercio and La Esperanza Market on Meridian Street.

I'm confused -- the pictures look like there's something worth saving, but this description is unclear of how much of the structure is left... Do you have any info on the theater, Ron? Is it salvageable?

If so, these people are D-U-M-B to think adding a generic Starbucks will do more to stimulate growth in the area than renovating one of the truly unique and interesting tchotchkes of history in the area. Old theaters are singularly interesting, I think, and can be rehabbed for uses as cafes, boutiques, even condos without destroying the theater. And of course keeping the theater's use would be even better.

Compare that with the same miserable Starbucks you get in Wichita...

those pictures make the structure look worth saving to me. I think it would make an awesome cafe/restaurant if it cannot be used as a theater.

I do not know much more than what I've reported and linked to here. I've never been inside the theatre, only walked around the outside. Lee Eiseman's 2003 photos are on the CinemaTour.com website. The CinemaTreasures page has some reminiscences and historical information, but could use a lot more.

People interested in successful non-theatre reuse of an old theatre may want to visit the Empire Garden restaurant (formerly the Center Theatre) on Washington Street in downtown Boston.

Last edited:
Old theaters are singularly interesting, I think, and can be rehabbed for uses as cafes, boutiques, even condos without destroying the theater.

Apropos, this is in Greenpoint (New York's Polish East Boston - kinda):

2007_04_Greenpoint%20Starbucks-thumb.jpg

those pictures make the structure look worth saving to me. I think it would make an awesome cafe/restaurant if it cannot be used as a theater.

It would be great if this theatre could be rehabbed and made into an independent theatre showing second-run, arthouse, and spanish-language films. Currently the only movie theatre between the Mystic River and the ocean (below 128 anyway) is Revere, which shows the usual multiplex offerings (in addition to being miles away and relatively inaccessible by transit). Unfortunately, Eastie doesn't quite have the market to support this kind of project right now. By the time it does, something will have to be built from scratch.

My biggest concern is that the project be built without leaving a vacant lot. Two waterfront buildings (the Massport Pier One building and the Hodge Boiler Works building) have been torn down in recent years only to see work on those redevelopment projects come to a halt with the economy. Meridian has a pretty strong streetwall given the amount of auto traffic it carries and the fact the Sumner/Callahan tunnel portals are located beneath it. It would be a shame if we had a Kensingtonesque vacant lot at this prominent location.

EDIT: Scratch that--tall side is on Border Street

Last edited:
It would be great if this theatre could be rehabbed and made into an independent theatre showing second-run, arthouse, and spanish-language films...Unfortunately, Eastie doesn't quite have the market to support this kind of project right now. By the time it does, something will have to be built from scratch.

That about covers it, belmont. We'll have to go to Cambridge or Brookline for our dose of David Lynch.

My dad and his sisters remember the Saville fondly, and I remember it as a kid in the 70s and 80s as a video arcade. Even then it had the tumbledown vibe of a Nick Cave video.

It's a shame to lose it. It would be cool to rehab it and have a group like Zumix program it.

My biggest concern is that the project be built without leaving a vacant lot.

I worry about that too, given the risk-adverse state of the economy. The entire Border Street block (Tello's, the EB Times offices) could benefit from redevelopment, but now's likely not the time.

In terms of design, this is woefully unimaginative. I'd prefer a design pallate closer to what's been proposed for Jackson Square.

What, the theatre was converted to a video arcade? What did that look like then?

I think Zumix has its hands full already with its own new building.

It was pretty dodgy, similar to what used to be on Washington Street. I don't recall that the entire space was used (I didn't really spend much time there, but my best friend grew up nearby on Condor Street).

The neighborhood meeting on the proposed demolition of the Seville will be held Thursday, March 27 (not March 19 as previously reported) at 6:30 pm at the Harborside Community Center, 312 Border Street (Umana-Barnes Middle School).

I made it to this tonight -- anyone else? Nico, Belmont Square?

I did show up about 30 minutes late, and missed the developers' presentation. I was able to chat with them a bit after the meeting and check out the renderings, which are more fleshed out than what we've seen.

It would appear that the preservation and redevelopment of the theatre is not feasible. This is a shame in that it was historically a cultural center in the community, but nearly a half-century of unsympathetic use and neglect make this out of the question. There is some interest in attempting to preserve some of the architectural elements, along with a photographic archive of the theatre that could be displayed in the nearby library and in the lobby of the new building.

The Lombardo family, owners of the shopping plaza across Border Street, are behind this project. They seem pretty committed to making this happen, and recognize that it can be a catalyst for redeveloping the rest of the unremarkable two-story block adjacent to the Seville, as well as their own dated plaza.

It's a modest project by the standards of the other failed harborside developments, and that's why it'll work. Some have said this in these pages, and the sentiment was echoed by others in the audience. ICON architecture (the folks behind Avenir and Maverick Landing) are responsible for the current design.

One of the abutters, the owner of a hardware store on Meridian Street, has (understandably) some issues with the project, among them, the alarm that will sound when vehicles exit the underground garage, along with the safety of pedestrians and schoolchildren. The integrity of the party wall between the theatre and his store is also in question.

Joe Mason, who presides over a shadowy organization called the East Boston Land Use Council, took issue with a number of aspects of the project, including the loony assertion that it had too much parking. His incomprehensible harangue lasted almost ten minutes and did little to advance the discussion. I called him out regarding the parking issue, as he recently opposed the adaptive reuse of a nursing home in Orient Heights because it didn't have enough parking. Mr. Mason bemoaned the fact that too little gets built in East Boston -- a shame he doesn't realize he's part of the problem.

Tai Lim
is the Project manager with the BRA. The comment period on the project extends for the next two weeks. Drop him a note if you think this one should go forward.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thorough report (I was unable to attend). So the parking entrance will be on Meridian? I'm surprised it's not on Border. Did they say whether the theatre was unsalvageable due to neglect only or also due to the market not being there to support a theatre?

Thanks, Beton Brut. Did the developer show any current photos of the interior of the theatre?

So the parking entrance will be on Meridian? I'm surprised it's not on Border.

Because of the steep grade of the site between Meridian and Border, I read the elevation as having entrances from both streets, into non-contiguous parking areas. I expect they'll be back to the drawing board on this. I missed the presentation at the beginning of the meeting, and the lively public comment portion was underway when I arrived; I was stuck working on this project.

Did they say whether the theatre was unsalvageable due to neglect only or also due to the market not being there to support a theatre?

Did the developer show any current photos of the interior of the theatre?

The theatre was discussed only in the context of being an eyesore. I saw no interior shots. I think it's safe to assume that both neglect and market forces play into the owners decision to start from scratch. The costs of doing a meaningful restoration and bringing the building up to code would be astronomical; as much as I'd like to see it repurposed as an art-house or live music venue, in a working class neighborhood like East Boston's Central Square, I'm not seeing any pictures.

I like this project, especially that there will be retail on both Meridian and Border Streets (two floors on Border, congruent with its abutters). But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sad to lose this theatre. When my dad and his sisters were teenagers, the Seville was the neighborhood's media-room. They'd take in a Saturday matinee, newsreel (WWII wasn't on CNN) and the short-subject (all those politically incorrect Warner Bros. cartoons interspersed with a bit of anti-Axis propaganda). Maybe it's a bit simplistic to say that the Texaco Star Theatre killed the Seville and thousands of others like it across America. Today, Netflix is killing Blockbuster.

I received the following e-mail this evening. I don't know why he sent it to me, so I figured the best thing to do was to post it here.

------------------------------
Date: March 29, 2008 8:19:03 PM EDT
To: rnewman@thecia.net
Subject: THAT GUY IS A LOOOOOSER

THE CONTENTS OF THIS EMAIL ARE THE LEGAL PROPERTY OF THE EAST BOSTON LAND USE COUNCIL,AND JOE MASON.THEY ARE NOT TO BE DUPLICATED,EDITED,FORWARDED,AND IS PROTECTED BY MASSACHUSETTS LAWS.
THIS EMAIL IS CONNECTED TO A POINTOFMAIL SERVICE ,AND SENDS A DETAILED REPORT ON WHEN IT WAS OPENED,HOW LONG IT WAS OPENED,AND IF IT IS FORWARED TO ANYONE.

Hi Ron
He is a straight A Loser. He came an hour late,he was mad because several of us said the traffic study showing 60,000 vehicle trips from the underground parking was going to cross over the side walk of Meridian Street,only 20 feet from the Library,and the congested pedestrian side walk.

There was not one person Elected officials included,who did not cast doubt on it being a good thing,and to a person they all said put the drive way on Border street.Including Bob Damico of the City traffic department.

The loooser was booed by the entire room when he attacked me about the parking,and comparing it to the old nursing home on Saratoga street.

Tai of the BRA ,and the whole room told me not to respond to him,and I did not.

The nursing home has about 3/4 an acre of open space as you know,so I pushed for as many spots as possible on the open space. That's a huge difference to the safety of pedestrians dodging cars coming out of a blind drive way.

I know you know this looooser,and I just want to say Jimbo is doing a lot of INTENTIONAL harm to my family,as he is allowing tons of hate,as well as people posting ,and signing my name.

I have not posted in about 35 days ,and have NO intention on ever posting on his site.

But we have to monitor it ,and send the B.S. to my attorney.Ron people called my house a few weeks back ,and my kid picked up the phone. The caller said "tell Joe because of his posts on the hubster we are going to kill your family".
I found the post ILLEGALLY signed with my name under an anon post link,and forced JImbo to remove it. NOT all fakes have been removed,so do not trust any post you see on the Hubster supposedly signed by me,as I have no intentions of doing so.

He knows about it,and refuses to stop.

Good Luck to you as a person.
Joe Mason

p.s.The anon link can be disabled anytime by Jimbo. I now know it because I just contacted google ,and you have a choice ,enable it,or disable it.

Back