View Boston (Observatory) | Prudential Tower | Back Bay

Neither should count. It's a stick on top of a building. If you broke them off the top and put them on the ground we wouldn't call those spires "buildings" so why should they add to the official height of them?

fully agree. but if one (an "architectural feature" spire) "counts" as total height, than the other "spire that is both aesthetic AND functional" should absolutely count, too.

who in the architecture community was the arbiter of what type of, to use your wording, "stick on top of a building" should be counted?

they added the top/spire of the frickin empire state building to anchor zeppelins, so that was "functional" and NOT part of the original design, but i think everyone agrees the ESB looks way better with it.

the Pru is 100% a little over 900' tall. the end.

they added the top/spire of the frickin empire state building to anchor zeppelins, so that was "functional" and NOT part of the original design, but i think everyone agrees the ESB looks way better with it.

ESB only counts as 1250' but the stick is 1454'. Hancock is taller than the Pru. If I held a stick in the air it wouldn't make me 10' tall.

1650598227283.png

I read somewhere that in 1964 when the Prudential Building was built, it was the tallest building in the US outside of New York City and the 10th tallest building in the world. Its currently the 114th tallest building in the US.

I read somewhere that in 1964 when the Prudential Building was built, it was the tallest building in the US outside of New York City and the 10th tallest building in the world. Its currently the 114th tallest building in the US.

Yeah, that is true (although didn't last particularly long). The Hancock was also pretty revolutionary for glass towers back when it went up (when the glass wasn't falling off, of course).

Still waiting ever so patiently for them to post pics of the progress there. :eek:

^ Was that in the plans? I could spend hours out there with a camera if that is an outside desk. 🤞

I believe that it is. But I just can't see all that space (3 floors) being wasted for obs deck space. They should've just left the restaurant where it was & just remodeled it!! Like what's done on Bar Rescue!! :mad:
Shut it down!!.jpg

Last edited:
7/2 From Quincy. This is the first time I'm realizing that the top is now a different color from the rest of it. Is it just cleaner, or did they redo the material?

by David Z, on Flickr

They've had a sort of fully enclosed platform working around the concrete ribbons for a few weeks; did the lower ribbon first. I'm not sure if they just cleaned it, or cleaned and tinted/ painted it, but it is much brighter now and works well with the new lettering. It feels like they've taken a few years off the building with the refresh.

7/2 From Quincy. This is the first time I'm realizing that the top is now a different color from the rest of it. Is it just cleaner, or did they redo the material?

IMG_2444 by David Z, on Flickr

Looks mighty clean from either a cleaning or a redo!! :unsure:

The close-up pics help to show how really clean the top looks now!! :)

Back