Reaction score
from a Globe story:

25faneuil_JPG-1400wb.jpg

Faneuil Hall Marketplace makeover planned
New operator exploring options
By Jenn Abelson
| Globe Staff
February 25, 2012

Elkus Manfredi Architects is considering adding more retail on the second floor of Faneuil Hall Marketplace in Boston....

The new operator of Faneuil Hall Marketplace is planning to unveil a proposal this spring to revitalize the historic center in what would be its first major renovation in more than decade.

Ashkenazy Acquisition Corp., a New York real estate business that took over the property last fall, has hired Boston firm Elkus Manfredi Architects to guide design plans for improvements to the outdoor shopping mall.

Elkus Manfredi Architects, which designed the striking Neiman Marcus store in Natick, is examining options for the center, including adding more retail on the second floor, according to Michael Alpert, president of Ashkenazy Acquisition. The New York firm oversees several other high-profile centers, including Union Station in Washington, D.C., and the Rivercenter Mall in San Antonio

Re: Update Planned for Faneuil Hall

The second floor is where the historic meeting hall is. I don't see how you could add retail there.

^ I do. Goodbye meeting hall.

I think there is actually probably some misunderstanding here. Either there is space to cram in retail on the second floor that is not part of the meeting hall, or the new retail is not going on that floor.

The phrase "second floor of FHM" is extremely ambiguous. FHM is comprised of 3 buildings. This is horrendous reporting.

FHM is not Faneuil Hall itself either.

I'm pretty sure they mean the three market buildings.

Plus, the actual Faneuil Hall is already currently undergoing a massive renovation.

I'm pretty sure they are talking about the N/S Buildings.

The photo is of Faneuil Hall which is why I asked my question. Yes, second floor of the market buildings makes more sense. But I thought these were already rented out as office space.

The photo is of Faneuil Hall which is why I asked my question. Yes, second floor of the market buildings makes more sense. But I thought these were already rented out as office space.

Plus a lot of the shops use the second floor like Urban, Ann Taylor, Christmas in Boston, etc.

Ron -- that was the pic asociated with the story -- However, note that the west? end of the Quincy Market Central Market Building is in the right corner of the picture.

My guess is that the idea is to phase out some office uses in the N and S Market Bldgs and get more 2nd floor retail -- the Central Bldg 2nd floor is /or used to be all retail / restaurant / entertainment and as someone pointed out - the 2nd Floor of FH itself is a National Historic site and untouchable

This is an interesting example of how important precision is when conveying information. Lacking any actual guidance from the article, we all made interpretive assumptions. I saw the picture as an indication that they were talking about the Quincy Market building, with Faneuil Hall itself simply being shown to indicate general location. But I suspect your reading of it, or at least the assumption you've posed is how most people would in fact interpret the story. I think we all know enough about these buildings to consider the idea of retail actually replacing the great hall as an impossibility, but I bet most will read this article and think that is exactly what was meant. This kind of thing really bothers me, I'm glad you pointed it out.

This is an interesting example of how important precision is when conveying information. Lacking any actual guidance from the article, we all made interpretive assumptions. I saw the picture as an indication that they were talking about the Quincy Market building, with Faneuil Hall itself simply being shown to indicate general location. But I suspect your reading of it, or at least the assumption you've posed is how most people would in fact interpret the story. I think we all know enough about these buildings to consider the idea of retail actually replacing the great hall as an impossibility, but I bet most will read this article and think that is exactly what was meant. This kind of thing really bothers me, I'm glad you pointed it out.

Hence why I mentioned this is deplorable reporting. There is not enough information (specifics) for this to be a story yet. It's a ridiculous hype-ploy.

Massive editorial and newsrooms staff cuts have an effect. Who knew?

Massive editorial and newsrooms staff cuts have an effect. Who knew?

Stat --NO -- I think its a side effect of the Knowledge Economy -- its called Google & Paste

1) Everyone hearing a rumour or tidbit of infomation just Googles and then cuts and pastes
2) few bother to read what they've cut and pasted for clarity and consistency
3) and even fewer bother to think about the implications of the information
4) finally a very very few bother to e-mail, or call the original source or at least a "trusted" secondary source for clarification

I don't think when Ben Franklin was the only reporter for his brother James that any development of any kind rumoured to have been happening in Boston would have been printed without being questioned for its logical consistency, and then if it passed that test by searching for the source and getting the facts

That process doesn't so much need masses of people -- just people willing to do their homework

Full disclosure -- I stopped subscribing to the paper Globe more than 3 years ago after several decades of subscribing. Last year I stopped subscribing to the Lexington Minuteman after a similar lengthy period.

The WSJ had a piece on the death of festival marketplaces, which it claimed had all become tourist traps isolated from the surrounding city centered on inauthentic "themes" but offering a "safe" but dull experiencing replicating stores in suburban malls. All true, IMO. Anyway, there was a brief and not too revealing few paragraphs on plans for Faneuil Hall:

In Boston, Faneuil Hall has a set of new owners—the New York-based Ashkenazy Acquisition. Michael Alpert, Ashkenazy's president, said the company planned to make a "significant" investment in the property, although it is in the process of devising specific plans, working with Boston city officials.

The company isn't planning to depart from the center's historic theme. But it wants to revamp the retail operation to better attract office workers in the neighboring downtown.Ashkenazy also is considering changing some of the office space above the retail into stores as well.

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino said in an interview in his office, which overlooks the marketplace, that a gradual transition from distinct Boston shops to more national chains had made attendance fickle, with visitors often finding better options in other nearby malls when weather is poor.

"That's why this has to maintain its uniqueness—that's why it's so important," he said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203961204577269283137189326.html

It is true. We do literally 1/10th of the business per day at AE comparing Winter vs Summer. The winters are absolutely miserable and almost pointless to be open. We lose so much business to CambridgeSide and Copley Place.

Even a non-winter like this past one?

It is true. We do literally 1/10th of the business per day at AE comparing Winter vs Summer. The winters are absolutely miserable and almost pointless to be open. We lose so much business to CambridgeSide and Copley Place.

Really? During my time at CambridgeSide, all I hear are reports on how well Faneuil Hall is doing and how CS is pitiful day in and day out. Not really our fault considering the we constantly receive a higher ratio of hoodlums in comparison to tourists and they normally do not have the money to purchase much and only browse.

I don't know about CP. Back when it was in Newbury, we always joked at how empty that store is. Now at CP, it's probably comparable to CS, traffic wise.

Even a non-winter like this past one?

I would assume that they have been much much busier than normal this winter. I don't know the statistics after Jan 27 because I have been in Berlin ever since. Before I left in January though, we were doing our normal miserable business. I'm sure it changed with the constant 70 degrees all winter.

I have been with the company for 2 years before this winter and I can safely tell you that the winters are miserable at FHM. Thank god Marketplace Center and FHM close early (at 7) during the winter.

Back