Raytheon Campus

Alexandria has put billions into real estate here (Boston/GB), just in the past few months alone.. anyone have a tally?

Everyone wants to have a "headquarters" next to the Pentagon...

Whenever a company does something like this, they always say they aren't going to cut local jobs and it always happens.

Alexandria btw appears to be about the same price per sqft as 128.

Whenever a company does something like this, they always say they aren't going to cut local jobs and it always happens.

Alexandria btw appears to be about the same price per sqft as 128.

If they cut local jobs those folks will just go work for some other startup, but this strikes me as an HQ move on paper only. I wonder how many Raytheons, Boeings, Amazons, etc. Arlington can accommodate. Housing is just as expensive there as it is here, and there's no MIT, Harvard, Northeastern, etc. to funnel them talent. VA Tech maybe, but Georgetown and GWU aren't famous for engineering. They ARE famous for producing lawyers and lobbyists, which I suspect is who will populate this office.

If they cut local jobs those folks will just go work for some other startup, but this strikes me as an HQ move on paper only. I wonder how many Raytheons, Boeings, Amazons, etc. Arlington can accommodate. Housing is just as expensive there as it is here, and there's no MIT, Harvard, Northeastern, etc. to funnel them talent. VA Tech maybe, but Georgetown and GWU aren't famous for engineering. They ARE famous for producing lawyers and lobbyists, which I suspect is who will populate this office.

This move could affect those in Business Development or Contracts. That's who the DoD contractors tend to situate at their greater DC "HQs." But I doubt this affects those in Engineering.

Maybe they will remove the gatehouse from their current generic HQ building that backs up on Lincoln.

If they cut local jobs those folks will just go work for some other startup, but this strikes me as an HQ move on paper only. I wonder how many Raytheons, Boeings, Amazons, etc. Arlington can accommodate. Housing is just as expensive there as it is here, and there's no MIT, Harvard, Northeastern, etc. to funnel them talent. VA Tech maybe, but Georgetown and GWU aren't famous for engineering.

Startups? Defense workforce in general is super, super old.

Housing is definitely not cheap there but it's way cheaper than here.

Startups? Defense workforce in general is super, super old.

Housing is definitely not cheap there but it's way cheaper than here.

With the recent drop in housing prices, I see Zillow showing basically the same pricing for Arlington and Waltham.

With the recent drop in housing prices, I see Zillow showing basically the same pricing for Arlington and Waltham.

Look deeper. There's a lot of high end housing being sold there but there's a lot of "affordable" stuff too. The office (if I have the location right) is walking distance to a Metro stop. Winter Street... is not.

Makes sense. Closer to the war machine at the Pentagon. Boeing announced their move a little while ago, so they were the last holdout of the majors.

It seems, for at least the near-term, the bulk of their headcount that was already based out of Mass will remain.

One thing about this move: Raytheon Technologies is technically United Technologies. They renamed themselves after the merger with Raytheon, and relocated their HQ to Waltham. Given that the CEO is the former UTC CEO, I’m not surprised by the move.

Back