Recent underrated projects

JSic

Reaction score
4 projects that did not get enough props when built, so I'll give some now.

1. Hayward Place. It took forever to fill this lot but the end result was worth it. I love the dark glass. Extends Downtown Crossing and links it with the area around Millennium Place and beyond.
4396.jpg

2. Liberty Mutual tower. People called this the "fatiron building" when it was proposed and being built. The end result is awesome though. Yes, it looks like "its always been there".
Liberty_Mutual_Tower_-_Boston,_MA_-_DSC08108.JPG

3. Russia/Atlantic Wharf. The only real tower Boston got during the last down period before the current boom. Does an excellent job of combining the maintained older buildings with the new tower - this is how its done, sets an example for future towers to be built over older structures.
Atlantic_Wharf_skyscraper_Boston_MA.jpg

4. 315 on A Street. Beautiful building, perhaps the best new building in the Seaport/Fort Point. Could have been somewhat taller, but still nice.
2014AG11.436%20copy.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 4 projects that did not get enough props..

May I suggest renaming this topic "Underrated Projects"? It would encourage more discussion.

Great list. I'm not sure why you think they don't get enough "props" though, other than the fact that they in themselves aren't transformative the way, say, Millennium Tower, Government Center Garage, or arguably Pierce will be. But that's not to demean them.

If I recall, in each of these cases, there was certainly a fair amount of architectural critique based on renders and plans... but then again, that's what this forum is about. In each of these cases I think the end result has been highly praised. And I agree that each of these four you mentioned serve as a great model going forward.

May I suggest renaming this topic "Underrated Projects"? It would encourage more discussion.

Agreed, done.

EDIT: didn't change in the forum view for some reason.

JSic, I'm pretty sure only mods can change topic titles- my response was more to them.

Looking at the picture of Liberty Mutual you posted, I wonder if the otherwise monolithic appearance of the tower might've been better served by changing the facade material on the podium levels. I do like the building, but its mass could use some breaking up here and there, particularly from the Columbus side.

Liberty_Mutual_Tower_-_Boston,_MA_-_DSC08108.JPG

I'd throw Avalon Exeter on this list. All of the buildings settled in really nicely. Love the billboard Liberty M throws up on the bottom of the building it's a welcome to the Back Bay.

JSic, I'm pretty sure only mods can change topic titles- my response was more to them.

Looking at the picture of Liberty Mutual you posted, I wonder if the otherwise monolithic appearance of the tower might've been better served by changing the facade material on the podium levels. I do like the building, but its mass could use some breaking up here and there, particularly from the Columbus side.

Totally agree about the Columbus side, that or a real cornice to add a deep shadow line between the base and the tower.
That curved top bothers me though and I can't put my finger on it. And it's not the resemblance to Harvard Stadium. Maybe it's just too solid for my taste.

I really need to check out Hayward Place, I've passed it enough but never taken the time to really check it out. I don't think I've been to A Street since before that 315 project was built; Yikes.

This one is a bit sloppy but also underrated

Back