MBTA Red Line / Blue Line Connector

"With the permanent closure of Bowdoin station, many have called for the emergency head house west of Government Center to be converted to a regular-use head house.

MBTA senior project manager Shannon Greenwell said the MBTA has no plans to make the conversion.

According to Greenwell, the decision to close Bowdoin was based on both accessibility and ridership. Bowdoin is the only non-accessible station on the Blue line, and has the second lowest ridership with about 1,700 passengers as of early October."

This doesn't seem like a big lift - is it really such a cost blowout to open an existing staircase?
The same condition exists at Medford/Tufts station. The north platform contains an emergency ramp system leading up to street level. Given that there’s no fare control and it’s ADA compliant, I don’t understand why it’s not used as a second entrance. Would shave off a couple minutes to the platform, especially if you park further north on Boston Ave or walking from Winthrop Street.

Didn't the Government Center overhaul include plans to reopen that entrance, and then it got cut?

Yes

This doesn't seem like a big lift - is it really such a cost blowout to open an existing staircase?

My understanding is that they would have had to install elevators, which was presumably deemed excessive for a secondary entrance.

Yes

My understanding is that they would have had to install elevators, which was presumably deemed excessive for a secondary entrance.
And they already have redundant elevators at the main entrance.

So the ramp system isn’t enough. ADA then must has a similar access clause that requires an elevator with the significant elevation from the street to platform / # of ramp turnbacks (I think it’s six turnbacks which is a lot). Makes sense.

And they already have redundant elevators at the main entrance.

So the ramp system isn’t enough. ADA then must has a similar access clause that requires an elevator with the significant elevation from the street to platform / # of ramp turnbacks (I think it’s six turnbacks which is a lot). Makes sense.

To be clear, my comment was about Government Center, and I think the elevator thing there was a state requirement, not necessarily federal ADA.

I don't know if similar reasons are why Medford/Tufts' emergency exit wasn't made a full headhouse. I know in one of Baker & Company's value engineering rounds they deleted the bridge in favor of crossing at track level to the ramps, and while they subsequently added the bridge back, it could well be they simply didn't see value in paying for a headhouse there even if there was no accessibility issue.

I was not saying modern Els have no negative effects on their surroundings. I was saying 1) their impacts are often blown out of proportions in public engagement, because people think of them like the old Els, which have additional issues that can be avoided; and 2) wherever feasible, they're a cost-effective way to bring quality transit that can be far cheaper than the alternatives.
[...]
Edit: Here are some examples of the kind of Els that I'm talking about.
I'm sorry, those are still huge, hideous and visually disruptive. No thanks.

In general I agree, I just wish there was more openness to considering them in corridors that are already visually disrupted with little chance of that condition improving.
The problem is the kind of corridor where those ELs are not intrusive is the kind of corridor with a lousy walkshed -- like the center median of a major highway.

The problem is the kind of corridor where those ELs are not intrusive is the kind of corridor with a lousy walkshed -- like the center median of a major highway.
I hear you about the intrusiveness of elevated structures. But I'm thinking there are some wide multi-lane streets in the Boston area that could accommodate elevated rail without undue impacts on the immediate area.

I hear you about the intrusiveness of elevated structures. But I'm thinking there are some wide multi-lane streets in the Boston area that could accommodate elevated rail without undue impacts on the immediate area.
I’ve always thought route 1 north of Boston is a good candidate for an El (post Tobin replacement). It pretty much parallels the 111 and there’s a pretty large, underserved population past it in Revere (although the cemeteries to the west put a big dent in the catchment area)

Back