Fenway Corners (Red Sox) | 1 Jersey Street | Fenway

Sometimes I think people grew up with crap, all they knew was crap, and they embraced the crap as normal; then one day they retroactively learn it was crap all along, but crap is now tied to their childhood memories, and no one wants to have a crappy childhood, so they convince themselves it’s not now and never was crap, and instead use words like “charm”, “character”, and “history”. Thus, when anyone want to improve said crap, they are forced to fight to preserve it, ultimately leading to an entire populace that resists building or having good/nice/upscale things despite proclaiming VERY loudly to be a world class city, if not the very best in the country/world, and are in the very strange position of having, defending, in some cases actually liking crap.

But, my friend, this stuff was all built (waves hand) at some point in the past, and we all know that land can only be used for one thing once and then never again. The existence of late-19th century stately buildings on Boston land that's been built out since the 17th century surely confirms that!

The density in Fenway is far too low, and every warehouse within 1 mile should be torn down and replaced with mixed use development no less than 8 stories. Fenway Corners is good and will do a lot to make Fenway better.

Not at all. "Why aren't the Red Sox spending like the big market team they are" is one of the biggest issues being debated by the national baseball media right now.

It's certainly a major media narrative/topic right now. I don't think the vast majority of fans are bent out of shape about the Sox performance but there are some loud, unreasonable, and ridiculously hostile fans squawking endlessly right now and the sports media raison d'etre is to feed off blood in the water. So, no, it's not just Shaughnessy, though he's always the best bet for who is writing horrible things about the Sox for no reason at all (other than desperation to fill column space and get clicks online)?

John Henry also owns the Liverpool Football Club (soccer) where he is trying to acquire one of the most well-known players in the game, Kylian Mbappe. He took a controlling interest as owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins a few years ago. Plus he's a 50% owner of NASCAR's RFK Racing.

Basically, he's clearly no longer interested in the Red Sox as his top priority. This has manifested mainly by letting popular stars go for pennies-on-the-dollar, leaving them a shell of a team which has now missed the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 years. I think they also finished last in their division 6 out of the last 12 years. It's amazing they won those titles in 2013 and 2018. Now it seems that ownership is no longer committed to winning, with the expected mediocre results bearing out repeatedly, which is why he lost the goodwill of the fans so quickly. It's unrealistic for fans to expect to win every year, but it's not unrealistic to expect a big market team to at least give the illusion of TRYING to win every year.

What I can't fault is wanting the team's owner to be all in on Boston, and not splitting focus and resources across other teams in other cities.

Anyone else think the Red Sox sell off these plans or sell once they are built? That's my suspicion, curious what others think.

Anyone else think the Red Sox sell off these plans or sell once they are built? That's my suspicion, curious what others think.
If they stand to make a handsome ROI, of course, why wouldn’t they? Once the buildings are built it doesn’t matter too much who owns them, the fan experience enhancement (richer urban environment) is in place regardless.

If they stand to make a handsome ROI, of course, why wouldn’t they? Once the buildings are built it doesn’t matter too much who owns them, the fan experience enhancement (richer urban environment) is in place regardless.
Im curious what the Red Sox ownership group's goals are, short term, long term etc. The fan experience concerns are not what I was after here

"Some in the media" is just Shaughnessy, right?
Ha, that is true most of the time, but ownership has been infuriating the last few years. They are not spending and keep pissing in our ears and telling us it's raining.

It's certainly a major media narrative/topic right now. I don't think the vast majority of fans are bent out of shape about the Sox performance but there are some loud, unreasonable, and ridiculously hostile fans squawking endlessly right now and the sports media raison d'etre is to feed off blood in the water. So, no, it's not just Shaughnessy, though he's always the best bet for who is writing horrible things about the Sox for no reason at all (other than desperation to fill column space and get clicks online)?
You've got to be kidding.

Sometimes I think people grew up with crap, all they knew was crap, and they embraced the crap as normal; then one day they retroactively learn it was crap all along, but crap is now tied to their childhood memories, and no one wants to have a crappy childhood, so they convince themselves it’s not now and never was crap, and instead use words like “charm”, “character”, and “history”. Thus, when anyone want to improve said crap, they are forced to fight to preserve it, ultimately leading to an entire populace that resists building or having good/nice/upscale things despite proclaiming VERY loudly to be a world class city, if not the very best in the country/world, and are in the very strange position of having, defending, in some cases actually liking crap.
The new buildings and urban fabric they will create will be nice, much like along Boylston. The stuff in those new buildings will suck, much like along Boylston. In time things will mellow out and hopefully acquire some "character" and "charm", and that can only happen within good urban fabric.

I had a birthday party at a McDonald's when I turned 5. It was awesome, but it was crap. You can have awesome crap and it's better than "good/nice/upscale" suck.

When it comes to being "world class" I think people are usually talking about infrastructure and how well it works. Not the Seaport and how mighty popular it is with whoever it is that hangs out there doing whatever it is they do there that's, like, totally different from what they do out in Dedham at Legacy Place.

Sincerely,
Kenmore Square

Im curious what the Red Sox ownership group's goals are, short term, long term etc. The fan experience concerns are not what I was after here
I think their goals for the project, owners of the assets or not, are to add value from the fan experience perspective and make money doing so. If you prefer to think about the ‘fan experience’ as ‘public realm enhancements,’ that’s fine, they’re the same thing in this case.

The Red Sox do not want high rise building around Fenway Park. There was an article several years back saying the don’t want the winds from the buildings to affect the game
This is self evident based on the master plan and individual building designs they are pursuing.

The Red Sox do not want high rise building around Fenway Park.

Many vocal local locos don't want to see a high rise within 185 miles of Fenway Park. "We support a project like this, just not here."

1705716899910.png

Back