Fenway Corners (Red Sox) | 1 Jersey Street | Fenway

A few thoughts on the following map, from the PNF:
Screen-Shot-2021-06-04-at-2.17.23-PM-60ba6fe28752c.png

* The "Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates" and "Landmark Center" buildings are clearly mislabeled, with both being off by a block. There's an office / lab building (which is largely slated to be redeveloped) and a hotel in what's labeled as "Harvard Vanguard," the actual Harvard Vanguard is what's labeled as "Landmark Center," and the actual Landmark Center is the next block down to the SW.
* Interesting that the "Van Ness" block claims Richard Ross Way (and the "Brookline" block claims David Ortiz Drive).
* I really wonder what the behind-the-scenes negotiations have looked like with the only non-FSG and non-D'Angelo building that makes the notch out of the "Jersey" block: 96-98 Brookline Ave, where "Fenway Johnnie's" is now. Is this project really going to totally surround that building, but not include it? That guy must be driving a hard bargain. Also how did that parcel come to be owned by someone else in the first place?

Last edited:
They were probably holding out for a sweet deal when JRY Trust was pushing for a carbon copy Fenway at that location.

It will be pretty funny for them when they build around Fenway Johnnie's and that guy is stuck.

Kind of random, and this seemed like the best place to share it. I was helping a friend archive some old newspapers, and found this Globe article from October 21 1997. This would have been pretty bold for the time. Does anyone remember this?

fen_art1.jpg

fen_art2.jpg

UBurger is way better. Tasty Burger's parcel is not long for this world. Too good of a spot to have a parking lot and a one level building.

I don't know, I think this area could use some public open green space (I know fens is nearby but nothing really inside the neighborhood) and this spot would be a prime location for it. There's nowhere in here to just sit and chill. Could double as storm-water mitigation too.

I don't know, I think this area could use some public open green space (I know fens is nearby but nothing really inside the neighborhood)… There's nowhere in here to just sit and chill.

Nowhere to sit and chill in the neighborhood… except for 401Park, Ramler Park, the useless lawn at Park Drive & Boylston, the plazas and benches by Kilmarnock & Van Ness, the Peterborough Street Playground, the Fenway Community Center, the Commonwealth Avenue Mall, Landsdowne Station plaza, Audubon Circle, and Charlesgate Park.

^And that (for reasons unbeknownst to me) EXCLUDES the Back Bay Fens and Emerald Necklace park that literally envelopes, bisects, and defines the Fenway neighborhood.
No: the Fenway neighborhood does not need another open green space on a private parcel of land. Jersey, Van Ness, and Landsdowne Streets should be permanently converted to shared streets before any commercially productive parcels come into the conversation. So to that, I agree with cjbski: as much as I adore Tasty Burger, there is a higher and better use for that parcel of land. A hotel might be very successful there, for example.

@Camberville - Thankfully none of that was built. What was interesting to be was the article, "gazing beyond 1999" and under Sports, "Hard calls, Patriots struggle" - little did they know that in a few years, there would be 2 decades of no struggle for the Pats.

Interesting old newspaper, was the "Millenium project" they mention the failed Boylston/Mass Ave tower proposal or something else?

@Camberville - Thankfully none of that was built. What was interesting to be was the article, "gazing beyond 1999" and under Sports, "Hard calls, Patriots struggle" - little did they know that in a few years, there would be 2 decades of no struggle for the Pats.

It's easy to forget that they went 10 years between winning their 3rd and 4th superbowls, with those 2 gutpunch losses to the Giants, having to watch Peyton and the Colts win one, Pittsburgh win 2, Brady out all of 2008, Ravens win in 2012, Manning break Brady's passing records in Denver, Aaron Rodgers becomes the goat apparent, etc. Even right before they beat Seattle there was that miracle catch by Kearse that led to replays of the helmet catch and Mario Manningham catch, and it looked like a 3rd miracle win in a row for their superbowl opponents until they got the miracle of all miracles with the Malcolm Butler interception. Those 10 years were tough to sit through and keep coming up *just* short of their goals. Winning 3 out of 5 after that sure took the sting out though! But even that included blowing home field in 2015 so Peyton could win his 2nd, and then sitting Malcolm Butler while the Eagles' backup quarterback shredded them and wasted a 505(!!!) yard day from Brady. Add in the "cheating" scandals of Spygate, which was a brand new memo but used to cast a pall on their first 3 superbowls, then Deflategate which was so bogus it (in my mind) proved how much of a farce Spygate was too... 2 lost 1st round draft picks, injured reputation, etc. There were plenty of struggles, they were just lucky to have the consummate winner in Tom Brady for 20 years.

The adaptive reuse of some existing structures along with the brick and other appropriate materials for the new structures at ground level looks incredible. Build it as is, I really hope it doesnt get VE'd to all hell. It really keeps the old school charm with a modern touch.

The adaptive reuse of some existing structures along with the brick and other appropriate materials for the new structures at ground level looks incredible. Build it as is, I really hope it doesnt get VE'd to all hell. It really keeps the old school charm with a modern touch.

I feel pretty optimistic that FSG wont let this stuff get VE'd to death... Henry and Co. have done a tremendous job trying to preserve the ballpark and extending that to the area around it and creating a destination district is kind of on point for them.

Broadly speaking too, I don't know what it is about the Fenway neighborhood but the neighborhood association seems to have largely been able to work well with developers and get quality construction all around. Besides Kenmore North which I know this board hates and Hotel Commonwealth (which isn't really a recent project) the Fenway/Kenmore area has gotten some of the best architectural quality work in the city over the last 10-20 years.

Dollars to donuts someone makes a submission that some famous home run ball ended up on the roof there.

"If you have input about the significance of this property, please send to blc@boston.gov before 5pm on 10/17/2021."

Dear BLC,

Don't tear it down. I'll never forget that one time I parked there.

Love,

MrDee12345
Aside from the Harbor Towers residents having parking at the Harbor Garage - can't one make the argument that if this can go, so can that. Sorry, but anything would be better than the Harbor Garage and every other parking garage like this one proves that in this city where every parcel is being gobbled up...

Side note: Lansdowne was practically a combat zone in the early 2000s outside of games and is now going to be a Ballpark Village full of corporate bars, bowling alleys, arcades, and luxury apartments. What a transformation

I mean that garage does have a very specific facade. It's possible it was made from some notable tile or a notable designer created it or something. But I'd put money on landmarks commission being fine with it coming down if nothing comes to pass.

I mean that garage does have a very specific facade. It's possible it was made from some notable tile or a notable designer created it or something. But I'd put money on landmarks commission being fine with it coming down if nothing comes to pass.
Yes it does have a nice facade but I think what will have it removed is that it doesn't contribute much to a growing retail/multi-use hub near transportation right next to the u/c Fenway Center. Parking can go down the other end of this street or elsewhere. Also, how are people parking here when the street is closed for the game? This seems like having a garage on Jersey st

Back